Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Oh dear - it appears Ebay is refusing to recognise my user ID or password.

Kinda worried about that. I can't even contact Ebay about it because I need to use my ID and password to do it!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

The Legendary Shark

Try re-setting your password with the "Forgot My..." button?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 February, 2012, 09:45:43 PM
Try re-setting your password with the "Forgot My..." button?

Yup - tried that. However, it kept taking me back to the log-in page.

In a bizarre turn of events, though, after failing to recognise my log-in details after several re-boots and a change of browser, it's working just fine now. Weeeeeirrrd... 

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 February, 2012, 11:45:35 PM
Maybe try clearing out your cookies?

Naw. If I eat at this hour, i'll get terrible indigestion!

B-dum tssh!  :D

TordelBack

Day 3 (...4? I don't know anymore) of my unpaid nocturnal tech-support gig and my sleep-deprived brain is losing the few beermat scratchings of a plot it once had.  After bashing our collective heads against the wall it turns out that a critical bit of proprietary database software just will not run on 64 bit Windows.  At all.  So now I have to somehow find, buy and get a 32 bit version of Windows installed on 2 shiny new MacBooks and do the whole painful installation process of half a dozen odd bits of analysis software again, before tomorrow when I have to pack and ship the whole setup.

I've been on Skype to a crowd in Mumbai for what seems like weeks now, and have developed a particular hatred for the hoover that drones and whines through their office at about 5pm their time, signaling as it does their imminent lack of interest in anything but the homeward journey.   This sort of all-night thing was more fun when I could sleep when I found the time, but my children are strangely unsympathetic for people that share 50% of my DNA.

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2012, 11:04:05 AM
my children are strangely unsympathetic for people that share 50% of my DNA.

Oh, I understand that. The happy noises of playing children are hell for the exhausted dad.

Try 10-minute naps, sitting upright in a chair. I've found them refreshing, and you can maintain some level of supervision even as you snooze. I'm not kidding.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

Unless, as happened to me once when Tiny Tips was about 3, I woke to find him stood on the top of the back of a chair, arms outspread and shouting "To infinity and beyond...".

Fortunately, he didn't launch himself off head first as it looked like he was going to do.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

My favourite example of combining a nap with parenting was when my eldest was about six months.  I'd taken him to a caravan by the sea to give his mother a break from his non-stop nocturnal wailings, and set the two of us up lying on a blanket under a sun shade for a nap after a long sleepless night.  He miraculously fell asleep on my chest, and I soon followed.

I awoke to find my chest unusually light.  He was gone.  I did a 360 from my lying position, but could see no sign of him on the ground anywhere, and I could see right under the caravan and car.  How the hell could he have crawled out of sight in the (surely) 10 minutes I'd been asleep?  I leapt to my feet and ran around the sand-dunes screeching like a madman.  No sign.  Turning back towards the caravan, and in the real horrors now, I espied my son and heir grinning at me, perched high on the caravan's tow hitch not 10 feet from where I'd been lying.

Noisybast

Bah. This is why I don't use ebay much anymore:

I bought three back progs from ebay a few weeks back. Now, I confess I was a little late paying for them, as it slipped my mind, but I noticed a few days later and paid via Paypal.  Over two weeks later and no sign of my comics. A quick check of Paypal confirms the money has been taken. I contacted the seller to ask what was going on and he suggested I "Fuck off".

Charming.

So, today begins the tedious process of keeping track of three different ebay disputes. Fantastic.

My advice? Steer clear of merlinmerchants. It would seem he's a bit of a cock.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

von Boom

I just had my first bad experience with ebay (perhaps a sign of things to come). Bought and paid for a couple of comics in Nov. About three weeks later got an email saying the guy's employee was sticking it to international customers by pocketing the shipping money and tossing the product. Sad, but the guy at artifexgamescardscomics said he would make good and ship all outstanding orders as soon as.

Waited until the new year and nothing. Contacted the seller and he said he'd ship immediately. That was a month ago. I just went to leave negative feedback and the store is pretty much out of business. I didn't lose much, but I would have liked to have left a negative rating at least.

JvB

Dandontdare

I rarely use eBay so excuse my ignorance, but is there really nothing else can be done when people pocket your money without sending goods but leave poor feedback? I know that if you buy stuff by credit card the credit card company insures the purchase and can get your money back - if you have logged credit card details with paypal, could you maybe get your money back that way?

otherwise it seems like the perfect scam with no comeback for the scammer, just collect money with no intention of sending goods and no way of being forced to refund. Hmm, may try that myself ....  ;)

Banners

If the seller doesn't have proof of delivery - ie. not just proof of postage - PayPal will give the buyer their money back.

von Boom

Unfortunately you only have 45 days to dispute the claim. I waited too long to start a case so I'm screwed on that front.

JvB

Gonk

I know the feeling. I'm never going to order anything out of the U.K. again. By the time you've allowed for postage from another continent to kick in, and contact the seller and wait another two weeks, the months up and you've lost your claim. It just sucks man!
coming at a cinema near you soon