Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The return of Judge Jack on 17 February, 2012, 09:54:37 PM
Which ones did you buy then?

I tell you, it made me think twice about visiting the used games section there again.  Had the same problem with a secondhand bookshop in the Blackberry Market in Rathmines when I used to live there - I was completely in love with the place and its amazing selection until I noticed that it could be guaranteed to have multiple pristine hardback copies of pretty much any new release.  My run of dustjacketed Iain Banks stopped abruptly.

Banners

When there's a big queue at the supermarket and they open up an additional lane, it's always the people at the back who have been waiting in line for the least time who get served first at the new checkout.

Spikes

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 February, 2012, 10:09:26 PM
I tell you, it made me think twice about visiting the used games section there again.  Had the same problem with a secondhand bookshop in the Blackberry Market in Rathmines when I used to live there - I was completely in love with the place and its amazing selection until I noticed that it could be guaranteed to have multiple pristine hardback copies of pretty much any new release.  My run of dustjacketed Iain Banks stopped abruptly.

I can see, though dont condone, why some smaller out of the way shops would turn a blind eye to this sort of thing, all those places with Ca$h in the title couldnt exist without it i guess. But im suprised by how widespread it seems to be getting, and how its moved more into the high street.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 February, 2012, 09:55:13 PM
Whenever I pop into Cash Gnerator to check for a bargain I always wish I'd brought popcorn and a folding chair to watch the selling queue. Its like a casting call for Shameless.

Yep, or alternatively, its what currys would look like 50 years after a nuclear war

Gonk

I blame it all on the politicians and bankers and the culture of greed generally. Empty materialist values.
coming at a cinema near you soon

TordelBack

Crom defend me from Bey Blades.  'Spinning tops', I thought naively, 'that looks like harmless sociable fun, positively traditional'.  But not only do they cost a fortune I do not have, not only do they form a foot-brutalising minefield the length of the Boy's bedroom, not only do they blast from my telly in a 'cartoon' where every character, even the narrator, screams non-stop, but they're on the bloody internet too - and unlike Nick Jr. that must be supervised at all times, even a pre-dawn Sunday (I ask you, what self-respecting paedo is going to be on online patrol at that hour?).  Online top-building and unending battles with American spodes who really should be in bed at 6am GMT.  But at least I haven't been asked to 'top up' in-game credits yet - which puts it ahead of the (-cough-) free Clone Wars MiniMMO, which was the Boy's last online obsession.   

Batman's Superior Cousin

I have been banned from befriending people on FaceBook for a WHOLE week, just as I was about to add Tordleback!!! :(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

TordelBack

Phew, lucky escape!   ;)

Nah, by all means add away when your time in the cooler is served.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Mardroid

After a week covering a colleague's shifts while she is away on holiday, I was looking forward to Monday off.

Trouble is, due to the start of term and the fact that people keep giving us other work to do we're behind in our usual work, and there's a massive backlog of filing and other stuff to do.

I could sense the girl working with me was considering asking me in on Monday.... but she didn't and I left on Friday hoping I'd dodged it.

Then she called me today. "Are you available on Monday?"
"I... can be."
"That means you are then."
Gnnnn.

I know. Most people work five days a week anyway (and hopefully I'll still be off Wednesday) so I guess it's not a big deal really. It's not as if I won't be paid. It's just irritating when you're anticipating Monday free and making plans, etc.

I just hope I'm left to do the work I need to do. It's never that simple in a college though as you can just be getting into a job and then the phone rings or a tutor asks you to print or photocopy something, or a student requires something, etc, etc. I might just put my foot down if someone tries to rope me into something else. (That'll work.)

Hopefully that other girl is back now so they can cover that stuff. Or maybe I was called because she won't be in...

Gnnnn.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

I, Cosh

I've been thoroughly enjoying my rewatch of the first series of Buffy. To the point where I was looking at buying the rest and going for a full run. In between searching for it and putting a copy in my basket the complete box set went from £38 to £49. It's still bloody cheap, but it's still cost me an extra tenner. Bah!

Also I forgot to buy bog roll when I was at the shop earlier.
We never really die.

Gonk

Ho,ho, nice one Cosh! Do you need it now you've got us?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2012, 05:36:59 PM
I've been thoroughly enjoying my rewatch of the first series of Buffy. To the point where I was looking at buying the rest and going for a full run. In between searching for it and putting a copy in my basket the complete box set went from £38 to £49. It's still bloody cheap, but it's still cost me an extra tenner. Bah!

I've been trying to convince sharky to watch it - he has seen and enjoyed Serenity/Firefly and Dollhouse, it strikes me as madness that he hasn't seen Whedon's magnum opus. Have words with him about this in Wednesday chat.

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2012, 05:36:59 PMAlso I forgot to buy bog roll when I was at the shop earlier.

See you over in the "wipe" thread later then.

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 February, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
Watched a lady beside me trading in games for cash in a major chain toy shop today.  She had a stack of about 30 brand-new titles, most for multiple platforms, including Darkness 2 for PS3 and X-Box.  That one came out last week.  Handling stolen goods is a crime, right?

It might have been CL2K's mum:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35360.msg652648.html#msg652648
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Quote from: Emperor on 20 February, 2012, 05:51:33 PM
It might have been CL2K's mum:

Possibly, but she didn't have the harried look of a woman the mass composition of whose home is 93% Transformer, which I imagine to be an oriental version of the 'Mrs. Burdis'.