Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

Quote from: paddykafka on 12 September, 2012, 02:01:50 PM

Now just to clarify things: I don't have any sort of speech impediment; I wasn't speaking in Swahili; I wasn't lorrying back a pint of ale while speaking at the same, nor for that matter, gobbling on a giant size bread roll.

;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

Dandontdare

If the cinema is in a mall or leisure complex at all, try to find the management number for that. I lost my wallet in the cinema a while back and couldnopt find a direct number to call them and speak to a human. Eventually, I found the emergency number for the Printworks compolex, the duty manager there gave me a contact number for the cinema manager, who found my wallet and left it to be collected

Mardroid

Quote from: paddykafka on 12 September, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
Is it just me, or are any other boarders utterly pissed off with all those poxy automated telephone lines that seem to be ubiquitous in just about every area of life these days?

I got a text from a debt collection company yesterday asking me to call them.

I got a bit paranoid on my way home second-guessing myself as to whether or not I'd made the latest payment. I couldn't quite remember, but on checking my records and my bank balance, it seemed I had.  Fair enough, they weren't calling for that reason then.

I decided to call them today anyway if only to tell them "My circumstances haven't changed so I won't be increasing payments, but of course I'll continue the amount agreed last time."

I got one of those automated replies followed by some (to be fair pleasant) classical music. They left me waiting for quite a while, then I thought, what am I doing? They want me to call them? If they really want to contact me, why can't they call me?

Anyway I put the phone down after that. To be fair I wasn't really annoyed, just a bit bemused. I didn't really want to speak with them anyway, but it was a bit irritating asI don't want them accusing me of being uncooperative and taking action after all.  I'll probably give it another go tomorrow, but if they keep me waiting I'll hang up. Phone calls cost money too after all.

staticgirl

Phone calls to those manky s.o.bs often costs quite a lot. I hope they aren't hassling you. Often they require being told off by someone from CAB or the credit counselling service to stop as it's illegal but they don't give a rat's arse. I am so glad I have finished paying off my debts.

SmallBlueThing

So there i was, on my way home from work, trying to pick up a Beano for my son. Different series of newsagents to my usuals- four of them. No Beano in any of them. 2000AD and the meg in two. In the fourth i was told quite categorically by some in-her-20s know-it-all that the beano had been cancelled and "all they do is beano max". Naturally, i said otherwise, causing her to become quite irate and to claim that 'the comic man told me last week'. I then asked her, for a laugh about the prog and the judge dredd megazine and she said- and i fucking quote this verbatim- "the comic man told us we arent allowed to sell that because it was banned."

There's only so much knowledge about british comics you can display to a fucktard girl in a shop before she calls the police i reckon, so i left. Im on my way to the newsie round the corner from my house now, to hopefully pick up a beano- but id advise you to put your progs away lads, in case the 'comic man' catches you.

SBT

Dark Jimbo

I've now got a mental image of five or six thrillsuckers stood on each other's shoulders, inside a long trenchcoat with a slouch hat on, soberly telling the checkout girl, 'Hello. I am... er, 'the comic man', and I'm here to inform you the prog has been banned and must not be sold.'
@jamesfeistdraws

von Boom

Cool. Banning them just makes them that much more valuable and 'leet.

SmallBlueThing

Because this morning i had to turn down two shifts as they were too far away for me to get to, which depressed me somewhat. I did joke though that -haha- im sure they'll phone back this evening and book me a twelve hour waking night somewhere ive never been before, haha oh my sides.

Yes, well. Im now working from 9pm tonight to 9am in a home that ive never so much as stepped inside. I know nothing about the service users; or even how many there are. But needs must...

I'll be hereabouts all night though, id imagine, trying to stay awake!

SBT

maryanddavid

I was handed an All Ireland Ticket for the football final this Sunday, hens teeth and all that, and I had to say no. Just couldnt afford it, not the ticket, but the whole day out and associated expences  :(

On a brighter note we booked a babysitter, so win, lose, or draw, I'm in a pub on Sunday night :P

paddykafka

You do know that there are currently about a squillion Mayo and Donegal GAA fans who would gladly swim through blood, eat their own entrails and lick battery acid from your boots if it meant getting their mitts on an All-Ireland ticket? Not to mention a certain 2000AD forum member, < cough, cough, ahem! > !

Cheers!

maryanddavid

My Brother snapped it up!  Its mental here(Mayo) all talk of the weather, recession,house prices has been replaced with, Have ya a ticket!  My fater-in-law flew in from Seattle yesterday for the feicin match!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

BAH! The calculator I've owned since I was fifteen has finally given up the ghost. The ones one my phone and laptop are bleedin' useless at scientific notation. Now I have to learn how to use one of these new fangled ones.
You may quote me on that.

Trout

Quote from: pops1983 on 26 September, 2012, 12:27:50 PM
BAH! The calculator I've owned since I was fifteen has finally given up the ghost. The ones one my phone and laptop are bleedin' useless at scientific notation. Now I have to learn how to use one of these new fangled ones.

I bet eBay would replace your old one.

Dandontdare

I had a day off yesterday and was expecting the postie to bring me this week's (late) prog, plus  Complete Nemesis vol1 and a Pertwee Dr Who DVD, both of which Ebay tells me have been dispatched.

All that came through the letterbox to keep me amused during a truly sodden day was a snarky note from the housing association telling me to move some stuff off the landing, and my New Internationalist (which I barely even flick through nowadays, I just haven't the heart to cancel my sub).

very disappointing.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Trout on 26 September, 2012, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: pops1983 on 26 September, 2012, 12:27:50 PM

I bet eBay would replace your old one.

Good call Mr.Trout, thanks
You may quote me on that.