Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 June, 2013, 04:15:50 PMYou know this is the internet, right?

If you can even call it that these days.  Used to be you couldn't check the weather without someone calling you a homosexual African-American Hebrew, but now it's all polite discussion like my grandad found his way here or something.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 02:15:25 PM
QuoteIt is definitely in your power.  She's providing the stimulus. You, and only you, get to decide what the response will be.

It is spectacularly hard (still, easier than other options) - and I won't go into specifics either- but when you do manage to defuse a situation without rising to the bait, boy does it feel good.

It doesn't mean it'll be twine and roses the next time but at least you know you can do it - which also makes it worth persevering with.

But how?

Very hard to say - but you did say that you got goaded into doing something you regret. Make sure you don't do that as a response to her stimulus.

Every situation is different and every person is different. But out of all the things you listed there, I didn't see listening and understanding. (Though I'm sure you have tried)

She's not doing this for fun, she obviously wants to talk about something and get something off her chest but what?  Are you trying to solve this problem from your point of view (i.e. to get her to stop) or from hers (what exactly is she needing?)

Again, apologies if any of this is overstepping of the mark - hard to know when there are no specifics (which isn't a request for specifics, by the way).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Noisybast

Had my bike nicked from outside work today. Broad daylight, public place, just cut two steel cable locks off and rode off on the fucking thing. It was caught on camera, but the footage is so low-res it looks like Jet Set Willy has turned to crime. Fucksocks.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

SuperSurfer

Radiator, other than seeing the severe effects of an abusive relationship on a bloke I know, I don't have experience on these matters as my Mrs doesn't react in that way to PMS. I will notice usually one slightly terse comment and that's about it, even though she does suffer very bad physical pain and discomfort. (I make no apologies for the use of the word 'abusive' as whatever the underlying cause or trigger, the behaviour clearly seems to be abuse.)

You can't have the same scenario playing out indefinitely – such levels of stress run the risk of taking a toll on your (and her) physical as well as mental well-being. I would say you need to risk spoiling an outbreak of peace and discuss the issue with your girlfriend with the aim of agreeing a way to seek professional help. Perhaps you could visit her GP together which might go some way to emphasising to the GP and your GF just how much a problem this is for both of you and that it really needs to be addressed.

Apologies if I am not offering anything new.

I commend you on your attempts to keep a lid on arguments as for sure I would take the bait and rear up every single time.

Dandontdare

Robbie bloody Williams is playing 4 nights in Manchseter so the roads, buses and trams are totally packed at rush hour.

Stupid gurning cockweasel.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 June, 2013, 08:12:46 PM
Robbie bloody Williams is playing 4 nights in Manchseter so the roads, buses and trams are totally packed at rush hour.

Stupid gurning cockweasel.

When he played at Knebworth, we were virtually prisoners in our own home. Our friends popped out for some bread and got stuck in traffic for 4 hours!

Sideshow Bob

Am I the only one who finds Professor James T Bear's avatar strangely and very weirdly, somehow hypnotic ????........ :o

Check the top of this page if you don't believe me......I'm sure I 'lost' about 10 minutes watching it !!
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

vzzbux

I sympathise with you radiator. I see a certain someone threw their 2 penneth worth in.
Well I'm off again for another week, nothing changes.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JamesC

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 18 June, 2013, 09:57:14 PM
Am I the only one who finds Professor James T Bear's avatar strangely and very weirdly, somehow hypnotic ????........ :o

Check the top of this page if you don't believe me......I'm sure I 'lost' about 10 minutes watching it !!

It disgusts me.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 June, 2013, 11:11:33 PM
I sympathise with you radiator. I see a certain someone threw their 2 penneth worth in.

There's an ignore function on this forum, you know, which would address that issue without you having to flounce off the board like a drama queen.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

V
Tad drastic. As Jim pointed out, there is an ignore function if there are individuals that annoy you. Though I would rather not use it, it seems to do Mr. Campbell's rage wonders.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 June, 2013, 08:03:09 AM
I sympathise with you radiator. I see a certain someone threw their 2 penneth worth in. Well I'm off again for another week, nothing changes.

There's an ignore function on this forum, you know, which would address that issue without you having to flounce off the board like a drama queen.

.. and without naming the evil bastard whose presence drives him away from The Friendliest Place On The Internet ™. I missed whatever incident set brother against brother, but I bet it happened on a Doctor Who thread - those places are vicious.

Spikes

Ive been that busy at work today, i didnt get chance to skive off and buy the prog.
And it featuring the return of Mr Wagner and all.

Zarjazzer

I am currently stuck at finchley road cos some nob was seen on the tracks.there are thousands of people stuck here.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.