Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Drank a coffee too late in the day yesterday, and as a result of my ridiculous sensitivity to caffeine am now wide awake at 2.30 in the morning, wandering round my flat. Need to be up in 4.5 hours. Damn it! Why do I never learn?

Link Prime

Charlie boy

Pre-Christmas, I agreed to my brother's mail being sent to my address Care of after he assured me no bailiffs would come hounding my address. His mail was supposed to stop coming here in March, but I'm still getting mail for him. Sometimes, it's not even Care of- it's his name and my address. The envelopes have stamped on them IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED and THIS IS NOT A CIRCULAR OPEN IMMEDIATELY. So I've been sending them back return to sender, not residing here etc. The last letter was hand delivered.
Today, my doorbell went and I ignored it. Then I heard a few other doorbells going shortly before I had somebody pounding at my door. Obviously, I ignored it but I'm assuming it was bailiffs. I'm also wondering who exactly in the building went downstairs and stepped aside when somebody at the door said, "Bailiffs" instead of saying "And?" before closing the door in their face. So yeah, having bailiffs at your door when you don't actually owe any money at all is heaps of fun.

LorcanQ

Living in Ireland, the summer holidays for college is four (yes, four!) months long. Looked everywhere for a job, very few around. Luckily, i got an interview for a summer job as one of those dress-up/tour guide type people in a newly refurbished medieval castle heritage site. Interview went as well as could be expected. Got a call the next week, was told I'd got the job, there was an orientation day end of the week. Absolutely delighted, have never had a proper job before. Living in the countryside in ireland, there's few jobs around, especially if your parents dont have strong connections in the community. Was feeling fantastic, thinking of actually having my own money for a change.

Phoned the manager the next day to ask what the dress code was for the orientation. She told me she had forgotten to tell me the day before, that I was actually a RESERVE worker, ie. I'd only get a job if someone pulled out who was actually working there. In fact, she reckoned, there was little point in me going to the orientation and, if another job was to arise for me, i should definitely take it. in other words, i didn't get the job. Fucking raging. ARGHHH

TordelBack

That is pretty crappy, Lorcan, and unbelievably unprofessional.  Hopefully someone will pull out, but it has to raise questions about what kind of outfit you would be working with.  My old man is a tour guide, and I'm hoping to get some work in that line myself once the kids are back in their cages school - it'd be great if you could PM with the name of the castle in question, I'd be fascinated to know where to avoid!

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell Lorcan that's a knife in the eye - ! Sounds like a grand job as well, although clearly it's being run by a bunch of fools - !

I went to London for a job interview yesterday - for BASICALLY my dream job - not sure it went that well. Turns out blind enthusiasm for comics isn't as good as actual commercial experience :( sigh - back to the dole queue!

LorcanQ

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
That is pretty crappy, Lorcan, and unbelievably unprofessional.  Hopefully someone will pull out, but it has to raise questions about what kind of outfit you would be working with.  My old man is a tour guide, and I'm hoping to get some work in that line myself once the kids are back in their cages school - it'd be great if you could PM with the name of the castle in question, I'd be fascinated to know where to avoid!

I got the acception/rejection back at the beginning of May so I've more or less given up hope at this stage but ah well, what's done is done! It was King John's Castle in Limerick if you're interested. I'd say the actual Castle would be professional I just think that that particular HR manager was very incompetent. Also, she actually worked for Shannon Heritage (based in bunratty castle) which deals with all the historic attractions in the local area, so the castle's outfit would probably be a separate body from her's. The most annoying aspect was that I had to actually call back to find out. Otherwise I would have had to turn up to the orientation day to get the rejection...

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 August, 2013, 01:26:13 PM
Bloody hell Lorcan that's a knife in the eye - ! Sounds like a grand job as well, although clearly it's being run by a bunch of fools - !

I went to London for a job interview yesterday - for BASICALLY my dream job - not sure it went that well. Turns out blind enthusiasm for comics isn't as good as actual commercial experience :( sigh - back to the dole queue!

Ah the old "not enough experience" response! It's a kind of Catch-22 situation there. We can't get the job cos we don't have enough experience but then we can't get enough experience cos we can't get the job! What's getting increasingly popular for business's around my way is for people to get "internships", which means the interns get to keep their dole money, and get an extra 50 euro a week from the business while they learn the business's skill set. This would make technical sense for a difficult job, but if the job is something like stacking shelves it's quite a disgrace to offer an internship for it, which i've noticed actually happens! It also means summer jobs during college are out of the question unless you have good connections... God damned recession!

Banners

Orange appear to have transferred my mobile number and account to someone with the same name as me, and who lives in Nottingham. That, or my identity has been cloned in some way. ~sigh~

CrazyFoxMachine

Job interview DEFINITELY didn't go well. It was my last swing at getting a job before my current job ends tomorrow as well...

so, that's me on the dole then.

von Boom

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 August, 2013, 05:17:41 PM
Job interview DEFINITELY didn't go well. It was my last swing at getting a job before my current job ends tomorrow as well...

so, that's me on the dole then.

That's too bad cfm. I hope something comes up for you soon.

A.Cow

Well, yet again I've wasted hours of my life trying to catch a glimpse of a meteor shower through sodding endless cloud cover, while the mainstream media taunts me by explaining that everybody else on the planet can see it fine.

When I'm world leader & dictator-in-chief-for-life I shall install a special weather machine above the skies of Southport, to ensure that we never see another bastard cloud again (and also so we get snow at the same time as the rest of the country).

Hawkmumbler

Im posting this from the sunny islend of Guernsey...and we have a major wasp problem. Fuck.

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 14 August, 2013, 09:55:48 AM
Im posting this from the sunny islend of Guernsey...and we have a major wasp problem. Fuck.

Look on the bright side; seventy years ago it would have been Nazis. Those little buggers ruin more picnics than wasps.

shaolin_monkey

The key broke off my lunchtime tin of sardines when I tried to open it.  I tried to use an ordinary can-opener, which went horribly wrong.  My entire desk now stinks of fishy tomato sauce.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 August, 2013, 03:04:21 PM
The key broke off my lunchtime tin of sardines when I tried to open it.  I tried to use an ordinary can-opener, which went horribly wrong.  My entire desk now stinks of fishy tomato sauce.

That's what you get you sicko!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8nL06PS24