Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

If it is any  comfort on the odd times that I have been out at such an hour... everybody appears to be just as nervous of others ...

everybody is walking/ waiting for a bus with the thought... "I'm here legitamatly....donno about you though... keep your distance... don't hurt me...."

Hawkmumbler

Dropping out of college. Im just not doing well enough. Feel a bit shit tbh.

radiator

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 23 September, 2013, 12:23:54 PM

I know that I don't know much about your situation, but I would say hang in there (or at least look into an alternative course or something).

I came very close to dropping out of uni for various reasons, but in retrospect I am extremely thankful that I stuck with it.

TordelBack

Whatever you decide to do Hawkmonger, don't be too hasty - have a chat with tutor/department and explain your problems to them if you haven't already, and there may be support they can give you.  You have a hell of a lot going on at the moment, and from your posts here it's obvious that you are moving in a difficult but ultimately positive direction: anyone you confide in is going to have respect for you and your efforts.  No-one in the teaching game wants their students to feel isolated or out of their depth.

Even if you can't improve college matters straight away, and do make a clear decision to leave, there shouldn't be any need to burn bridges - lecturers and even admin types will be understanding of difficulties if they know about them, and if you change your mind in the future or want to engage with something else in the same college, it's worth retaining their good opinion. 

Proudhuff

dude thats a shame, not the end of the world, but might feel like it at times, important thing is to stay busy
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

sorry to hear that mate. You've had a lot on your plate judging by other posts you've made, so I hope you can go back and complete your studies at some point when things are more settled

Charlie boy

I'd suggest you try to get this sorted but if you can't for any reason, it's not so uncommon for people to go into college and not do their best- only to return at a later date and do it all a lot better.
If you do decide to leave, I personally would look into starting an apprenticeship of some sort if I were you. My dad tried to get me to do one when I was younger but I didn't listen and, to be honest, I have regretted it from time to time. You could do an apprenticeship, end up being employed through it and return to college at another time if you felt like giving it another go.

Recrewt

Yeah, sorry to hear that also.  I know that myself and many of my friends dropped out, changed courses, and u-turned throughout college and university.  I would advise thinking about what you want to do next before making any decision though.  Talk to the college too, they can actually be quite helpful.

shaolin_monkey

Don't feel shit about it mate - it takes backbone to admit when things ain't working out, and choose a different direction suddenly.

Frank

Quote from: Charlie boy on 23 September, 2013, 04:21:58 PM
(I)t's not so uncommon for people to go into college and not do their best- only to return at a later date and do it all a lot better. You could do an apprenticeship, end up being employed through it and return to college at another time if you felt like giving it another go.

Your college should be amenable to letting you defer your place for another year at least, or maybe doing something that only means attending a couple of days a week until you feel up to more.

I started college a month after my Dad died, made a total hash of it, dropped out, and ended up being bounced into doing a work placement. After working for a few years I was able to put myself through uni, and because I was used to actually having to work for a living studying seemed piss easy and I was the class swot.

Even if you feel you need to concentrate on getting your head sorted out you're better off doing something in the meantime - stacking shelves or volunteering in a charity shop gives you a bit of structure and something to think about other than yourself. All the best, Hawkmonger

Dandontdare

I was certain I was on a late shift today (alarm set for 10am) so stayed up late - got  horrible shock when it went off at 6.30 'cos I'm on an early today and my late is tomorrow. At work now, drinking strong coffee and yawning a lot.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2013, 08:54:11 AM
I was certain I was on a late shift today (alarm set for 10am) so stayed up late - got  horrible shock when it went off at 6.30 'cos I'm on an early today and my late is tomorrow. At work now, drinking strong coffee and yawning a lot.

Try these Dan- http://www.redkooga.co.uk/default.aspx?pid=3&prodid=5.

The closest legal answer to your current predicament.

Dandontdare

I tried guarana in the past and didn't really notice much affect. In fact I'm the same with coffee - I don't notice it waking me up until it's got to the point where I've a headache and everything sounds harsh and jangly and I start biting people's heads off.

What I need is a nice long nap .... mmmmm. There's an almost physical pleasure to illicit napping in the daytime

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
I tried guarana in the past and didn't really notice much affect. In fact I'm the same with coffee...

Quick dose of thrill-power right to the receptors, that'll do it.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
I tried guarana in the past and didn't really notice much affect. In fact I'm the same with coffee

Three words...

Kendal Mint Cake.

I don't know what the hell they put in it, but it's the only thing that's ever worked for me.