Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 22 March, 2014, 01:26:50 PM
Yeah, come and listen to me muttering about fuel consumption because my Nissan hasn't changed up a gear and tell me there's no need for a manual transmission. There's nothing macho about it. I just prefer having more control, especially in the snow

Dual shift is the way forward for you, neebs. If you're worried about fuel consumption in your Nissan Micra, you have my sympathy. If you're blaming the excess fuel consumption of your Nissan Pathfinder or Navara (with a set of moose bars on the front, and all your kids' toys as well as some old furniture you've been meaning to take to the cowp for ages sitting in the back) on the transmission ...

Trout

Quote from: sauchie on 22 March, 2014, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: Trout on 22 March, 2014, 01:26:50 PM
Yeah, come and listen to me muttering about fuel consumption because my Nissan hasn't changed up a gear and tell me there's no need for a manual transmission. There's nothing macho about it. I just prefer having more control, especially in the snow

Dual shift is the way forward for you, neebs. If you're worried about fuel consumption in your Nissan Micra, you have my sympathy. If you're blaming the excess fuel consumption of your Nissan Pathfinder or Navara (with a set of moose bars on the front, and all your kids' toys as well as some old furniture you've been meaning to take to the cowp for ages sitting in the back) on the transmission ...

I'm not worried. I just mutter. And I have three different settings on the transmission.

And the models are different here. I have a sensible Nissan Sentra. Only an idiot buys a small car in Ontario, because of the way insurance works here. You pay more in extra insurance payments (because you have less protection in a crash) than you save on fuel. It's better value to have a mid-range car, as my insurance broker explained patiently. It's a minefield.

radiator

As I understand it (and this is just from a bit of online research), there used to be tangible advantages to manual but not so much these days.

Trout

Quote from: radiator on 22 March, 2014, 03:34:58 PM
As I understand it (and this is just from a bit of online research), there used to be tangible advantages to manual but not so much these days.

Automatics do seem a lot better than they used to be. With me, it's just a preference. I'm sure my opinion will change after I've driven an automatic for years.

A.Cow

Quote from: sauchie on 22 March, 2014, 10:21:03 AM
...the idea that manual shifting has anything to do with machismo is baffling.

The prejudice against automatic-only drivers is a historical thing in the UK.

85-90% of the population have a manual licence and 84% of the cars on the road are manual.  Therefore, unless there's a physical disability involved, automatic-only drivers are presumed to be "crap at driving".  (Although I suspect that accident statistics probably show this belief to be erroneous.)

I'm guessing that in the USA, where automatics are more prevalent, it's only the petrol-heads (who favour fine control of their vehicle) who hold a similar prejudice.

paddykafka

I don't know how to drive. I've never had a lesson in my life and I've no interest in learning how to. To be honest, I'm dangerous enough on a bicycle and I get pedestrian rage when people - tourists and couples are the worst offenders! - block me on the footpath or slow me down with or their meandering pace. Plus, I have a chronic anxiety disorder and would probably go into a complete and utter neural meltdown behind the wheel of a car. And that's even before it starts moving, lol.

Tracy Walter in "Repo Man", gives about the best - if seriously whacky - reason for never learning how to drive in the clip link what-ya-ma-call-it below.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=cr&ei=Dd0uU8uuAo6ShgeQlIDwCw#q=repo+man+quotes+the+more+you+drive+video+clip+you+tube+

CrazyFoxMachine

First day of a week away in Madeira and the missus breaks her toe pretty severely when exiting the pool....

so now its trussed up and she's not allowed to walk. or swim.

:o

judda fett

That's not what you need on ya hols. Get Geoff on the speed heal Owen. Hope it doesn't ruin the break.

Mardroid

Small issue compared to broken toes, etc (actually I'd see that as a 'life spugs' issue)  but I got a cheque from my Dad for my birthday Thursday. Having no money in my account I needed it for a bit of ready cash. (Particularly as we've that 2000AD gathering next week.) Turned out I couldn't pay it into my account during lunch break Friday cos my colleague was off work that day (which I didn't find out until that morning).

Went out Saturday to put it into the bank pretty sure it closed at 4 or 5pm. Turned out it closed at 2. "Okay, a bit irritating, but I'll just put it into my account Monday during Lunch break", I thought.

Except now the cheque has gone missing. I was sure I left it in my jacket pocket inside my card but I can't find it in my bag or my room.  I could ask my Dad to write me another I guess (If the old one turned up I would destroy it. I'm trustworthy, honest!) but I'm kinda embarrassed so I guess I'll leave it.

Not to big a deal but realllllly irritating.  What an idiot I am.

TordelBack

Sorry to hear of Geoffrey's toe-woes, CFM - that's a pretty crap way to spend your holliers.

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 March, 2014, 10:23:01 PMI could ask my Dad to write me another I guess (If the old one turned up I would destroy it. I'm trustworthy, honest!) but I'm kinda embarrassed so I guess I'll leave it.
Not to big a deal but realllllly irritating.  What an idiot I am.

I did this very thing many years ago.  My bachelor uncle, who was also my godfather, gave me a cheque for my 21st, a pretty substantial one by my standards then and my standards now come to think of it. He wasn't really given to presents normally, but I was specifically supposed to buy a suit with it and I took it as a pretty big deal coming from him.  I didn't want to lodge the cheque  until I had the suit lined up, because I knew I'd only waste it on food and rent and all that crap, so I put it somewhere safe.  And promptly forgot where.

When I finally found it, it was out of date and I was too embarrassed to do anything about it.  My father informed me a few months after that that my uncle had been quite upset to find the cheque was never cashed (and the suit never bought), and so I was yet again too embarrassed to say anything to him.  And I never did:  as in all good stories of this nature, he died suddenly not long after that, and I've felt utterly shite about it ever since.  Worse again, I was helping my Dad sort out his estate after he died, and we discovered he was broke: the sum he had tried to give me the previous year was pretty much all he had had in the bank.

Tell your Dad you misplaced the cheque, Mardroid. 

Mardroid

In my case the amount wasn't all that much. (I feel a bit guilty saying that, or even thinking it, since it's the thought that counts and he's had quite a bit of other expenditure  lately,  which is probably the reason. Plenty of other people get less I'm sure.) It's still a sizeable amount from a 'hand cash' point of view,  but I doubt he'll notice it hasn't been withdrawn. Although that's not really the point I guess.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bit anyway as there's a chance I just put it down somewhere and I'll come across it. I have had a look about but I'm one of those people who will do that one day... then suddenly find it the next day on the first look. I've a feeling this won't happen this time though.

Trout

Poor Geoffers. But it's a good chance to spend some quiet time together, CFM.

That cheque story is a real shame, but it makes me want to rant about British banks. I will say this, though: they're shit.

The Legendary Shark

Pobably best to come clean about the cheque and get it cancelled lest some nefarious character gets hold of it?

Sorry to hear about the toe as well. Ouchies.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Ag. That's a pain Mardroid - I would say make him aware that you've lost the cheque but don't ask for another just say that you're keeping your eyes peeled (which you are) - then the ball's in his court! If he wants to write you another he can, but at the very least he knows about it!

In terms of Geoffery's toe - (and she's very grateful for the kind words!) things aren't looking nearly as bleak as we thought. There's a lot of walking-lite travel and a good transport network and she's fairly mobile on a set of crutches the hotel gave us so it's not a dead loss! She's just annoyed about the swimming - I've tried to convince her she can put a plastic bag over the bandages but she won't have it...

Devons Daddy

RARE I AM HERE on this thread

new manager at work, first day NO FIRST THREE HOURS
upset the entire group in two locations,

no clue came in swinging with his how to make the world a better place,

leaving me to pick up the mess, and have to bring him to heal ASAP,
Two years since I took this role, lowest staff turnover in companies history, close to hitting budget, happy team, numbers on way up.
This prick walks in and thinks he knows better, rigellion hot shot his way first thing in the morning.
he was a transfer from another division, company policy you have to give them a chance, keep within the company rather then losing to another policy.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!