Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Reading that back I realise I probably shouldn't have said anything. 
I should keep my opinions to myself and let HdE carry his bag however he wishes.

Dandontdare

Sorry if my reply upset you, having read it back, my tone was rather snarky wasn't it, I apologise for that.

As a commuter, people wearing backpacks is one of my "hot buttons" I just find it really annoying when people don't take off backpacks, especially when, as you said in your original post, the place was crowded. I am in no way excusing this woman's terrible rudeness however. Your simple "oops, sorry" would have been all it would take to placate me if I'd been the one you bumped.

Grugz

sorry ,with ddd block on this one, the amount of times ive been smacked in the face just trying to get to work by people with backpacks is uncountable tis common courtesy and good manners to remove the bag when in a crowded place like a shop or on transport as I do when I have mine with me. its a no brainer tbh.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Theblazeuk

Meh. I wouldn't expect anyone to take their backpack off just to queue up. On the tube is slightly different but again, not expected. Easy solution is just to not get your face up in there.

SuperSurfer

One of my pet hate on trains, buses etc is when someone gets all territorial and fancies claiming one and a half seats. This sometimes manifests itself with the odd behaviour of someone with every page turn of their newspaper elbowing me in the ribs. Some geezer was doing that a few weeks ago. And doing it quite aggressively. I stared at him and he took his earphones off and blurted: "What, what, what?!!" He obviously knew what was what – he was pretty riled up. I reckon he took umbrage at the fact that someone (me) had sat next to him and he couldn't spread himself out as he does on his favourite armchair at home.

Me: "You're elbowing me?" Him: "There's no space? Where do you want me to go?" Me calmly: "Well you don't need to keep on doing that. Stop elbowing me." Went on a bit like that. In the end he said "There are plenty of seats elsewhere". Me: "Well help yourself then." Wallyish behaviour. 

I have to say though, that kind of behaviour is very rare on that train line as usually most people are very polite and considerate. Much more so that on the tube, even when it is crowded – in my experience of course.

Grugz

or the ones who dfeserve more than half the seat you're already sat on!  and theyre usually the ones who don't believe in exercise,laundretttes  or showers.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

radiator

A guy I work with - ostensibly my boss but not really - has installed one of those Dropcams in the office, so he can basically watch/eavesdrop on everyone even when he's not in. I know that he also has not clearly communicated this fact to the rest of the staff (not through deliberate concealment, just absent-mindedness). The bloody thing even has a builtin mic/speaker, so you will sometimes hear his disembodied voice when he could just as easily call or text.

Now, I find this a) an invasion of privacy and b) just a bit fucking creepy. Would I be within my rights to order it switched off until the office is empty, or perhaps organise a vote?

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 04 September, 2014, 04:07:46 AM
A guy I work with - ostensibly my boss but not really - has installed one of those Dropcams in the office, so he can basically watch/eavesdrop on everyone even when he's not in. I know that he also has not clearly communicated this fact to the rest of the staff (not through deliberate concealment, just absent-mindedness). The bloody thing even has a builtin mic/speaker, so you will sometimes hear his disembodied voice when he could just as easily call or text.

Now, I find this a) an invasion of privacy and b) just a bit fucking creepy. Would I be within my rights to order it switched off until the office is empty, or perhaps organise a vote?

While you're at it you could organise a sweepstake over how long it takes the first person to say 'If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about'.

I don't think I could work under those conditions, I'd have to put a bag on it or something.

The Legendary Shark

Wind him up - stage a false murder for the cameras.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 September, 2014, 07:32:24 AM
Wind him up - stage a false murder for the cameras.
OH! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Do it Radiator, that would be fantastic!

Theblazeuk

QuoteAll usage of CCTV other than in a purely domestic context must be undertaken in compliance with the requirements of data protection legislation. As CCTV infringes the privacy of the persons captured in the images there must be a genuine reason for installing such a system. If installing such a system, it is required that the purpose for its use be displayed in a prominent position.

Employers may use CCTV to monitor the workplace for various reasons. If CCTV is installed in a workplace, the employer should use signage to inform employees of the location of the cameras and to explain the purpose for which they are installed. Under the Data Protection Acts, if your employer informed you that the CCTV cameras were installed to prevent, for example, theft from the workplace, the CCTV footage cannot be used for another purpose such as recording the entry and exit of employees from the workplace.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html

If he ain't actually your employer and this ain't actually a policy just some creepy guys idea, then could always drop a teatowel over it/put your mug down straight in front. Repeatedly.

Bolt-01

And put the radio speaker next to it as well to cover office conversations.

JamesC

Isn't Radiator in the US? Not sure of the laws over there but I believe CCTV is actually less prevalent than it is in the UK.

TordelBack

Cripes Radiator, that'd drive me crazy.

A fellow [redacted] works with has a Nannycam installed at home to watch his childminder during the day.  It's apparently neatly concealed behind a picture, and he keeps the feed running in a corner of his monitor.  He occasionally calls people over to show them things his kids are doing.  The poor woman has no idea it exists, let alone that an entire office is watching her.

I obviously understand the protective impulse when it comes to one's brood, but sheesh, who wants to work on Springwatch Live?.

ZenArcade

I'm really concerned with the nature of what these people are at. At the least it should be expressly stated that there is a camera in the office. The fact that someone feels the need to do this is unsettling from the sense of a positive office dynamic. This guy is no manager and frankly if any of my junior managers came up to me with a similar suggestion; I'd tell them in very blunt short order to get a grip on themselves and go and do the job they are contracted and paid to do!!! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead