Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 22 March, 2016, 10:05:39 PM
I wasn't aware you were insulted at all until you mentioned it, Jim.

The bit where I was called a tosser didn't tip you off?

QuoteI'm not having a go at you or Grugz

Funny, because it feels like it.

I'm sorry, I just get a bit tired of being constantly painted as the forum's 'Mr Nasty', get accused of bullying, when I'm only guilty of giving people short shrift when they're demonstrably talking shite; being a bit fond of profanity (but no more than other forum members); and occasionally being a little bad-tempered.

In this case, I was clearly the injured party—unless someone wants to point to anything I've ever said on this forum as equivalent to that paedophile apologist accusation—and yet I still made the effort to try and be a decent human being, and I get that effort thrown back in my face.

And, somehow, I'm still the one taking flak. Still the one being accused of bullying. Still the one being accused of insulting behaviour.

Well, fuck you if my having had enough of that shit makes you uncomfortable.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Yes, learn on a manual. Aside from widening your options, I always feel that a manual gearbox offers greater control. It's daunting at first but soon becomes second nature.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

"The thought of going vegan is so daunting though -"

But ultimately well worth it. 

It is amazing how much outright hostility you can encounter even from people who profess to love animals (which normally means they like having a pet).

But any hardship is peanuts compared to what the animals go through.

Family dinners not a problem for us. We cook most of the meal - all vegan - and sometimes the in-laws will bring a meat dish along. But mostly there are more than happy to eat what we provide except at Christmas... They just can't get their heads behind leaving meat out then.

Every little helps - so keep up the meat free sarnies.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Grugz

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2016, 10:59:40 PM

In this case, I was clearly the injured party—unless someone wants to point to anything I've ever said on this forum as equivalent to that paedophile apologist accusation—

https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=40720.0   

Right, lets put this to bed right now you always bang on about people not reading posts so read the one at the bottom of the link I DIDNT say "jim Campbell is an apologist for peados" I was responding to your comments that abused kids go on to be abusers themselves and merely suggested that with that viewpoint messers saville and hall might have been abused themselves in the past ...and asked in in general if we should feel sorry for them?or if anyone felt they were misunderstood? the answer being a firm NO...I don't know were you got the idea I was accusing you of anything ...you were wrong and I am sorry if, for whatever reason you got that impression it was a subject I feel very strongly about and tbh I was more cross at Hawk's initial comments as he didn't read my posts properly  ,the whole thing got out of hand very quickly and wasn't doing my sanity much good which is why I left for a while. I didn't "flounce" or start a thread saying I was going,i went quietly and came back under a fresh sock when my head was a bit more in focus. As for your offence to my insult well, then I apologise profusely if my use of the word tosser offended you...I obviously misread the bit you wrote calling me a fuckwit...still,we live and learn..

.so, dear boarders please take this as my testament that Jim Campbell is the most calm, gentle spoken, nicest forum member who has never been nasty to anyone ever and makes mother Theresa look like ayatollah khomeni

amen...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2016, 11:04:01 PMYes, learn on a manual. Aside from widening your options, I always feel that a manual gearbox offers greater control.
I've never really understood that myself, and am baffled by the UK's ongoing widespread stubborn (as I see it) devotion to manual cars, but do agree about widening options.

IndigoPrime

On the other matter, I was hoping that would burn itself out much more quickly, but it hasn't, and the thread is a hair's breadth away from being locked. If anyone wants to carry on taking chunks out of anyone, take it to email.

Grugz

agreed, for my part sorry for letting it get this far but my last post is hopefully clear enough to anyone and my last on the subject...apologies fellow boarders my new rotweiller outlook on life is biting folk hither and thither .I'd blame the meds but I cant cos they make me sleepy! ;)

Grugz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2016, 11:25:17 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2016, 11:04:01 PMYes, learn on a manual. Aside from widening your options, I always feel that a manual gearbox offers greater control.
I've never really understood that myself, and am baffled by the UK's ongoing widespread stubborn (as I see it) devotion to manual cars, but do agree about widening options.

and ,not driving myself but having a go when my dad had an automatic Volvo estate I preferred it, just put your foot down and drive...my mum passed in the automatic so has to drive one all the time now.

The Legendary Shark

I always found the ability to bulk-shift through gears to offer more control in emergency situations. Also, if the clutch goes on an automatic you're basically stranded but if the same thing happens on a manual it's no biggie - you simply match revs to speed and can change gears as usual. Manuals are better in the snow and off-road, too.

Just my personal opinion built on experience.

The nicest car I ever had was a Granada Ghia 2.8L automatic. It was comfy and fast and lovely to drive but it made me a lazy driver. I'd never have another.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2016, 12:09:43 AM

I always found the ability to bulk-shift through gears to offer more control in emergency situations. Also, if the clutch goes on an automatic you're basically stranded but if the same thing happens on a manual it's no biggie - you simply match revs to speed and can change gears as usual. Manuals are better in the snow and off-road, too.

Just my personal opinion built on experience.

The nicest car I ever had was a Granada Ghia 2.8L automatic. It was comfy and fast and lovely to drive but it made me a lazy driver. I'd never have another.

One of my oldest friends lives in America and is really glad he learned to drive a manual, because most Americans can't. Once he discovered someone had broken in to his car only to abandon any pretensions of stealing it because they couldn't "Drive stick"
You may quote me on that.

JamesC

I much prefer a manual gearbox but automatics are a lot better than they used to be.
I'd advise anyone to continue learning manual though. Even if it takes a while, it'll get to the point where things just 'click' and changing gears can be done almost without thinking.
Just practice and get out as much as you can (I used to go out every night with my dad or brother and drive around an empty industrial estate for half an hour, just to get a feel of the gears, clutch etc).

hippynumber1

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2016, 10:59:40 PM
I wasn't aware you were insulted at all until you mentioned it, Jim.

The bit where I was called a tosser didn't tip you off?

Well, fuck you if my having had enough of that shit makes you uncomfortable.

Jim

Being called a tosser is banter where I'm from, especially when followed by a 'winking face'. I'm not taking sides and don't want to get involved in this petty, playground shite but fuck you too, Jim. I was suggesting you keep it private because no-one comes out of this looking great but you carry on...