Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Might not be "criminal"; more likely incompetent or unfair. Do you know the specific person responsible at the DVLA? If so, strike up a relationship—win them over.

If not, it's horrible being held hostage like this, which is why—if you know you're in the right and can back that up—I would be tempted to drive anyway. If it's not a big deal and you can get lifts or use public transport (keeping receipts of course), wait it out. But sometimes you have to be naughty to do what's right—sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

What's your employer saying? Hopefully they're sympathetic and are reassuring you that your job isn't in any danger?

Tjm86

Have they given a reason for the rejection?  Surely they need to have some sort of medical evidence to back up their decision.  Actually, this is the crux of the problem at the moment isn't it?  That said, surely this gives you room for manoeuvre.  Have you discussed this with CAB / lawyer yet?  Daft question but do you have a union at work?  If so that would be a potential avenue of support.  You might also want to get in touch with your MP, citing the recent findings in the HOC on the issue.

I would agree that the prudent course is to abide by the ban for now, despite the temptation to give in to the colossal unfairness of it all.  Granted that there are a significant number of unlicensed / uninsured drivers on British roads these days but Murphys Law dictates that you end up being the one picked up and it harms your case.  How sympathetic / understanding / flexible is your employer likely to be?

Sorry, wish I could suggest something more constructive.   :|

The Legendary Shark

I would write to the Head of the DVLA telling him/her that I am going to continue to drive until he/she proves I am unfit to do so. I'd make it clear that I hold him/her personally responsible for the DVLA's decisions and give him/her a month to clear this up. If, once that month has passed, nothing has been done, then I'll be charging him/her £25 per day until the issue is concluded satisfactorily.

But that's just me. It's also why I live in a shed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

banners, sadly they give you no access to a named case worker and simply refuse to talk to you or help you.

The only breakthrough I've had at all is my doctor doing a new letter stating explicitally that I do not have diplopia and was cleared months ago by my orthoptist.  They had faxed it and my MP has also sent to to their direct contact to expedite this at the DVLA.

Hopefully they will see this evidence of no problem as a reason to clear me as I have no problem.

I am also doing this consultation on Tuesday to get a fresh set of measurements to prove without doubt they are talking crap (which was already proven earlier this year anyway) and my orthoptist is happy to do a fax right there bless her).

If this doesn't work then I am stumped.. removed from driving for an issue I am proven not to have.

Something Fishy

Also some good idea tm and Sharky.

I think the more people I can get involved the better. 

They did indeed do this with no evidence.  It's fucking ridiculous.  But now total evidence is needed to reverse it.   Which they no have.

It's not a good process is it.

Trent

Gaah. Changed my chemo regime on Thursday and was expecting nurse over tomorrow to remove my 48 hour pump infuser. Now the hospital calls to say there was a cock up and nothing else to do but go back to them. That's a 4 hour round trip (minimum) for a 5 minute procedure some time tomorrow and I have family arriving for the weekend in the next hour.
Buggerations.

Grugz

buggerations indeed, considering how shit chemo makes you feel the last thing you need is all that.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Something Fishy

von Boom

Batman's Superior Cousin

Someone I know from the pool/blackball circuit has just died!!!! :(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Trent on 28 October, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
Gaah. Changed my chemo regime on Thursday and was expecting nurse over tomorrow to remove my 48 hour pump infuser. Now the hospital calls to say there was a cock up and nothing else to do but go back to them. That's a 4 hour round trip (minimum) for a 5 minute procedure some time tomorrow and I have family arriving for the weekend in the next hour.
Buggerations.

Sorry to hear that, Trent. Hope it gets sorted!  My mate who has cancer asked me to be his best man yesterday; we're just hoping he won't have a bad turn coming up to the day itself.  Also he has a Peaky Blinders hat in mind in case he gets chemo again coming up to the big day.

Also, sorry to hear of your loss, BSC.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Grugz

this may be an impediment...too early to say, our neighbour pam has apparently sold up and moved and didn't tell anyone! our new neighbours so far look miserable but he looks like nigel marven the famous naturalist! time will tell...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Something Fishy

Some better news on the dvla front.  Following a full report from my orthoptist today they have accepted I am well and cleared to reapply.  My MP is also going to oversee it being expedited so the application will be way quicker than the more than a month it can take.   I am told a week or so should do as I have faxed all the forms directly to the Mp's office.

That's finally some good progress.  I'm very glad I fought this.

Tjm86

That's great news.  Glad to see an MP doing something useful for a constituent for a change.  Will still be keeping our fingers crossed that it does go through okay and swiftly.