Main Menu

Prog 1750: Stay On The Right Side of the Law

Started by SmallBlueThing, 07 September, 2011, 08:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: JamesC on 08 September, 2011, 08:51:46 AM

I thought Dredd was a little talky for this as a jumping on issue.

Ironic really, considering the man [spoiler]had his throat stabbed out [/spoiler] last week ;)

I, Cosh

Oh, bloody hell then. Here it is again without the extended sexual innuendo I spent a good ten minutes on last time.

Really great Prog. The talking (and note-scribbling) heads in Dredd did more for me than the eight weeks of Nadia. Fantastic nuke from Henry too.

Nice to see Ampney Crucis back so soon. The way this is dovetailing with Red Seas, are we heading towards a genuine crossover Edgivent?

Indigo Prime was a lovely little opener. Particularly liked the double page spread of classic Smithism: this is what's coming, if you don't like it then tough shit.

Finally, Low Life was another cracking opener. Intrigue, emotion and D'Israeli investing Simps and Fatties with real pathos.
We never really die.

mR:sTaG

Great Prog, love the wrap around cover - probably the one bit that lets it down is Dredd's face, doesn't resemble him too well IMO.

Dredd - Great change of pace from the shocking ender of Nadia but, as others have said, possibly too sedate for a jump on.

Ampney - Not a fan of Simon Davis' art in Sin/Dex, but think it works well here. Good Start.

Low Life - [spoiler]Like the Long Walk send off with Simps and belly wheels[/spoiler] - intriguing opener.

Indigo Prime - New to this, looks awesome so far and should fill the insanity void Zombo's left nicely. [spoiler]Poor chump slitting his own throat in part 1 bodes well[/spoiler]! Thrill of the week for me.

If anyone else is new to IP and could do with a primer (and isn't already aware), Tharg's provided a downloadable noob's guide complete with organisational chart and short story -> LINK
Thrill-dabbler, started with Prog #964 on and off around the 1200-1500 mark.

Emperor

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2011, 10:50:12 AM
Quote from: radiator on 08 September, 2011, 09:21:38 AM
Slight gripe with Indigo Prime - I found the misspelling of BBC Correspondant a little distracting!

It's obviously a universe where it's spelt like that, and it's still BBC News 24, rather than just BBC News. :)

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 September, 2011, 10:52:29 AM
There is a thread for pedantry...

If you think that's bad, just wait until Ush arrives to explain why the French is wrong ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

House of Usher

Quote from: Emperor on 09 September, 2011, 01:18:46 AM
If you think that's bad, just wait until Ush arrives to explain why the French is wrong ;)

Oh, go on then.

L'extremite du monde means 'the ends of the earth,' like the North Pole, Patagonia or the Himalayas.

La fin du monde means 'the end of the world.'
STRIKE !!!

PreacherCain

I think I'm going to enjoy this run of stories!

Brilliant kickoff to the new thrill season ( :lol:) Dredd was fantastic, Low Life brilliant, Crucis epic and Indigo Prime was... well, it was the best of the lot. Next week's new thrill also sounds great. It's been a while now since I've genuinely enjoyed every single story in the prog but I'm very optimistic that this new set of stories will deliver.

Also, it's definitely one of the most visually stunning progs in a while, cover to cover.

MikeONeill

Although I'm not a complete 2000AD novice, I'm jumping back on after not having read it for some time. So I guess I'm well placed to give an opinion on the jump-on issue!

Dredd: A lot of exposition in this one, but it looks like it's setting up to be a good one.

Ampney Crucis: I liked the artwork in this, but as I've not read the previous stories I have little idea of what's going on. Still, this strip filled in the most important blanks so we'll see where it goes.

Low Life: This was my favourite strip of the Prog. I haven't read any of the previous Low Life stories, but I got this one pretty quickly (knowing what the 'Wally Squad' was helped with this one). I get something of a 'Discworld' vibe from the story which in my book can only be a good thing. This is the one I'm most looking forward to continuing.

Indigo Prime: Thank god Tharg posted the primer online. I loved the artwork but I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I had loosely figured out what Indigo Prime was, but I didn't get what was happening with the guy at the end. Still, after reading the primer I feel much better informed - will be interested to see what happens next!

Zarjazzer

Lovely cover. Good prog with some interesting new series Indigo Prime particularly good as it's so mad.

Spiffy Dredd star scan by the talented Mr Harrison.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Robert Frazer

Flint is normally praised for his unstinting attention to detail (such as the deliriously intricate linework in Shakara), but perhaps my favourite aspect of his art is the way he draws crowd scenes. My favourite page in Total War isn't one of the nukes detonating or Dredd taking names, it's a scene where McTighe is in a pit being grilled on the terrorists' capabilities, while the perspective constantly flits and swerves across the page between small inset panels for the speakers - it's uncanny in the way it generates both a broad sweep of institutional scope and feverish, close intensity without contradicting each other. A similar feat of composition is on display in this issue's Dredd - It is pretty much a talking-heads episode, but you wouldn't know it to read it - the conference scene is packed, crammed with characters who are all leaning forward in animation, so that every panel still quivers with urgency.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Hoagy

To all new-comers; don't be afraid. I came back to 2000ad in 2006 and I still have a stepping stone knowledge of what is going on. Intentionally or not, this makes it all the more enjoyable.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

mogzilla

JOE SOAP

mogzilla

thats the one he does look like he's holding one in :lol:

Grant Perkins

Quote from: radiator on 07 September, 2011, 10:47:09 AM
Quotethe cover is seven kinds of shit on sixteen shovels

Well I think the cover is great! Is it Rian Hughes?

Sorry you're not a fan Alan, but I'm always glad to hear back about my work one way or another. One of the great things about a book like 2000AD is that if you don't like one guys work you might very well like the next.

Hope everyone else enjoyed it though.

G.

Steve Green

FWIW, I liked it Grant, in fact the offer inspired me to renew my sub. (Not on the cover alone, that would be mental  :lol:)

Like you say, it would be dull if everything was the same.