Main Menu

Robocop 3

Started by DrRocka, 03 November, 2012, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

...been out for a couple of pints this afternoon, come home to find the little 'un snuggled up in bed, so I popped this on the Netflix viewing glass.

Not exactly Godfather 2, is it?
Never ever bloody anything ever

DrRocka

Holy Geez, is that RIP TORN?? How many Guinness did I have??

Richmond Clements

DrRocka

....got 48 minutes into it then my brain attempted to leap out through my left ear and I cracked open a Guinness and ave just put "Be Kind Rewind" on instead. Can't be as bad.

Seriously, I don't know why they didn't just get Stallone to play Robocop and let him f*ck up that franchise instead. Even watching Rob Schneider would have been kinder on my knuckles.

Professor Bear

Desk Sargent: Robo!  You know there's a warrant out for your arrest?
Robocop: Yes.
(lengthy pause)
Desk Sargent: Oh.  (pause) Well... just making sure.  What can I help you with?
(Robocop brandishes flamethrower and stomps towards a room full of corrupt cops)
Robocop: Call the fire department.

There is about 7 minutes' worth of a truly awesome film in Robocop 3.  Unfortunately Robocop 3 is two hours long.

The poor pacing and editing of what should have been an outrageous and exciting finale is unfortunate, too - it really does take a special kind of talent to make a fight between Robocop on a jetpack versus robot ninjas boring to watch, especially considering it ends with a nuclear bomb going off, but the film is awesome when he finally stops moping. Robo stands up after being damaged for a bit (classic bad Robocop scriptwriting is to damage him to put him on the sidelines for a while) and remembers this is a film about him so he should go do something, so he decides to find the dude who killed his partner and totally fuck that guy up.  When he tracks him down in a sleazy motel, instead of opening the door he shoots a Robocop-shaped hole in it and then walks through that, the guy in the room looks to his handgun on the table, evaluates his chances against Robocop and then jumps out the (second floor) window instead.  Two minutes later, Robocop is driving a pimpmobile that is on fire.  It takes ages to get to this sequence, but it is really, really fun, and even Fred Dekker's underwhelming action direction can't ruin it, but otherwise the good bits (and there are some entertaining moments) are stretched thinly over the film's runtime.

ChickenStu

Wow, someone was able to sit through this movie?

Listen pal, don't go and start thinking you're indestructable or anything and decide to do something REALLY foolish like attempt to watch Galactica 1980. You'll be braindead about 13 minutes into the first episode...
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

I, Cosh

I've had the Robocop trilogy DVD box on the shelf for about five years and never watched this. Be Kind, Rewind is dreadful though.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

I bought the Robocop Trilogy for the express purpose of watching Robocop 3 - view it as a kids film and you'll get along with it, but the main failing is that it's at least 30 minutes longer than it needs to be.  Generous trimming and re-editing of scenes would make it a decent live-action cartoon.

Quote from: ChickenStu on 25 January, 2013, 08:34:53 PMListen pal, don't go and start thinking you're indestructable or anything and decide to do something REALLY foolish like attempt to watch Galactica 1980. You'll be braindead about 13 minutes into the first episode...

Watched all of Galactica 1980 fairly recently.  Wasn't good, but Return Of Starbuck was great - if blatant false advertising as it was a flashback episode where he went away to Space Heaven and not one where he came back.  Cool bikes, too.

ChickenStu

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 25 January, 2013, 11:44:36 PM
I bought the Robocop Trilogy for the express purpose of watching Robocop 3

Really?

Wow.

Funnily enough, Robocop 3 is similiar to the Stallone Judge Dredd in a way - in that by the time the lead protaganist aquires a device that enables them to fly - I want to remove my own appendix.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteGenerous trimming and re-editing of scenes would make it a decent live-action cartoon.

Personally, I'd generously trim all of it.  But that's just me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Porthos

Haven't seen it for some time so maybe my memory of it's wrong but didn't they suddanly get a huge cut from their budget while shooting?

The scene in the boardroom if you look carefully the back wall with the odd looking doors is CGI because (I Believe) originally the little girl hacker finds the Ed2o9 she hacked into earlier while crawling through the ducts and sends it to help robo against the bad guys and was meant to crash through the doors resulting in big crowd pleasing battle.
Diagonally parked in a parrell universe

ChickenStu

Who are we trying to kid here?

This movie is dogshit. Has no redeeming features whatsoever. The second one is dogshit too.

That's why I like the Robocop Trilogy DVD set. One great movie, two drinks coasters.  :lol:

Mardroid

[spoiler]I rather liked Robocop 3.[/spoiler] Not that I'm in a rush to buy it, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting it as part of a box-set.

But then I like the later Alien films* and Star Wars prequels**.

And I liked Prometheus too.

Not that those films are anything like Robocop 3, but point is, I seem to like films slated by others so my opinion is probably not worth a lot. ;-) Then again I don't dislike the majority of films people do like, so maybe I just have a higher tolerance for this stuff.

*Not more than the earlier ones, I hasten to add.

**Although not everything about them. I certainly see the issues many complain about.

Professor Bear

So where do you stand on Batman and Robin?

Mardroid

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 02 February, 2013, 05:04:07 PM
So where do you stand on Batman and Robin?

I'm with the masses on that one.

I did like Batman Forever though. The Title, not so much.