Main Menu

PROG 1828 ALL YOU NEED IS BLOOD!

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 13 April, 2013, 11:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Hawkmumbler

That truly is the work of a genius. :lol:

Mabs

Lol that panel blew me away when i was reading the trade! It must've been a bee-tch getting to draw all the bee's for Flint!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

A.Cow

For me, all this gushing love for that Zom-bee panel sums the problem up.

How is that any different to stuff we've seen a zillion times before?  Like Swamp Thing, or the big face in Matrix Revolutions.

And haven't zombies been done to death?  At least Zombo has a loveable catchphrase, but a pun on the word 'bee' is hardly cutting edge.

Too much pastiche and not enough parody, IMHO.   :(

Mikey

Have to say I think that this prog was one of those perfectly balanced ones that doesn't miss a beat, starting with the wonderful cover.

Dredd is excellent. Some of the shorter yarns, though still enjoyable and good, sometimes feel a bit throwaway to me, whereas this has a real weight to it. I think it's been pretty difficult to write a Psi without them being Cassandra Lite but Hamida feels like a real, new and solid character. Great stuff from all the creative team!

Dandridge is probably my least favourite in the line up if I'm honest, but that's not to say I don't like it. In another prog line up it might shine a bit brighter is all. I really liked Master Beta - great idea for a villain.

Ghostship Mathmatica is brilliant stuff too. Absolutely love the art here, and it's hard to believe this is only the second episode as the world has been so convincingly presented. I'll be sorry when it finishes...

Stickleback - still great. That final panel was just delicious!

Zombo - although I don't feel this outing has felt as effortless as previous ones, I still love the undead fool! The weegie Lennon makes me laugh and there's so much crazy shiz all over the shop, it's hard not to be bowled over. I'm also keen on the very dark new incarnation of him - amazingly creepy even compared to version one!

Spoiled me with that prog so you did Tharg.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mabs

Prog 1828

A superb cover by Henry Flint, paying 'homage' to the Beetles' famous Abbey Road shoot. Seeing Zombo towering over them was a nice touch too, not to mention the blue tone of the normally red 2000ad logo. Definitely an early contender for cover of the year.

First up was Judge Dredd (Suicide Watch Part 3). The story is developing nicely, and we get to find out who our grinning nemesis is in this issue. Page 2 was a stand out moment for me in the story as we start to uncover Hamida's fragile state of mind and the horrors of what the Chaos bug has exacted on the people of Mega City. It's a really affecting scene as is what follows shortly after. The ending has got me on tenterhooks as i can't wait to see how this ends. Story and artwork as strong since the first episode.

Dandridge (The Copper Conspiracy Part 5) was a blast! I l absolutely loved the villain: Max Beta; who has a VHS or more rightly, a Betamax player on his forehead from which to sprout all manner of villainous gloating and so forth via his stash of Betamax casettes (each tailored for a unique occasion)! The writing by Alec Worley is really funny and Warren Pleece's artwork is superb. Great stuff.

Tharg's 3riller (The Ghostship Mathematica Part 2) was also barnstormingly good....and the last few panels were tense with an unexpected development which has got me intrigued, how will it fare for our space faring pirates? I hope to grud the final episode ends on an optimistic note as i've nothing but love for this strip and have absolutely taken to it. And i must say Inaki Miranda's artwork is a delight to behold. I'll be saddened to see it end next week...

Stickleback (Number of the Beast Part 5) was....okay. Not great or as enjoyable as the preceeding strips, but the last page was terrific.

Zombo (Planet Zombo Part 5) was very fun indeed and a big improvement on last week. Seeing Zombo dish out all manner of stomach churning punishment on the Fantastic 4 was both digusting and hilarious in equal measure! Something tells me that the Fab Four are next (and frankly i couldn't be more happier to see them meeting their gruesome demise!). The last page with Walt Dis..er, Hank Epilson (and Simon Cowell) putting together an army of Ewoks, Stromtroopers and Wookie's for war was brilliant and funny to boot! And to top it all off, Flint's artwork is excellent.

So a top thrill overall, Dandridge, Dredd, 3riller and Zombo the standout for me.

4/5

Panel of the week:

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/2000ad-panel-of-the-week/
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spikes

Dredd is on top form again this week. Loving the creative team on this strip. Again, nice little touches abound.
Though that last panel could be seen coming from a mile away, it was still nice to see. Looking forward to next week's (final?) episode. Good stuff.

And out of interest, and as someone who rarely buys the Megazine; Who's the artist on the full page advert? John Burns?

Dandridge contiunes in fine form [spoiler]Master Beta, indeed  :D[/spoiler]

And the Ghostship Mathematica is a rollicking good read again this week. Shame these 3rillers have to end, as i said last week, the bulk of the ones ive read have been superb.

Stickleback, after a couple of so-so episodes is really hotting up for me. The art is just wonderful, and i can help but pour over it panel by panel.

And then Zombo. Really couldnt get to grips with this until recently. Really liked last weeks strip, and this weeks dose is just as good. I can see how when its at its wackiest, and chock-a-block full of pop culture references it can come across as self indulgent, but maybe thats its style. (I havent read Zombo before now), but that last page made me smile. Love Flint's take on the Wookies. Not totally sold on this strip - as yet, but i am liking it more and more.

Good solid prog was1828

staticgirl

I agree that really is a wonderful cover. It's so colourful and incredibly dynamic.

Dredd: Suicide Watch - I've been enjoying this story as it is kind of nice to have a sense of mourning for those people who have died. It feels a bit like the trauma of Chaos Day is beginning to catch up with people big time. I like Psi-Judge Hamida too. She seems real and warm with her own history.

Dandridge - I like Dandridge a lot. He's funny and I like the strange spookalicious steam punk version of the 80s. 2000AD seems very fond of its dandy occult detectives as there's been no end of them over the years.

3riller - Ghostship Mathematica. I am loving this. It's some really good space opera with a touch of mystery crossed slightly with Treasure Island? What did happen to Earth? I  like the way the aliens and cyborgs are designed - the captain looks like some kind of metallic eagle-man. There's a sense of wonder about a boy who runs off to sea/space and is taken in by a kindly (at least to the boy) sea/space captain. It has heart.

Stickleback - Although I don't really understand the history of this one I love the art and the references, most of which I don't get until someone tells me but I still like it. This felt like an explanation episode but it helped to clear up a few plot points. Plus the scientist couple is rather romantic, at least until the warping starts.

Zombo
- Although the first episode was really funny it feels like it has fallen off a bit. It's lacking a bit of charm which Zombo himself usually supplies. Plus grey isn't a good look - ask the Hulk.

MercZ

Bit late reading this, but I won't clog up the page with what's been said already. Dredd is developing well, I liked Dandridge's bit with the guy having plans on neatly labeled VHS's, and I feel bad that the Ghostship is ending next prog.

Stickleback and Zombo were alright, I liked the last panel in Stickleback too.

TordelBack

Felt a pressing need to drop in and sing the praises of this week's Zombo: the Fantastic Four are butchered to the tune of Willy Wonka's 'Pure Imagination' while the severed head of Walt Disney leads an army of Stormtroopers, Wookiees and Gungans(?) to make all of humanity 'like us'... there are no words to describe the finely-honed genius of this. 

Zombo hasn't always been my favourite strip, but this run is absolutely hilarious, and Flint's like-a-lookies are spot on. 

Dan Banks

Almost up to date now.

Dredd

I'm always in two minds about cliffhangers like these. Obviously Dredd isn't dead so that makes the cliffhanger kind of pointless but weirdly I still enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed Hamida's struggle and that moment of realisation at the end only to find out that she was too late. This sets up the story nicely for what I assume is the conclusion in next weeks prog. It's been great so far, just need to stick the landing.

Dandridge

A villain appears and what a character! This strip is definitely the most fun, doesn't take itself too seriously but hasn't reached ridiculous yet either. Hopefully now that Shelleys robot head has been disposed of, he'll be able to pull himself together and rescue Dandridge (again). Once Dandridges coat has been removed, is that a bullet hole that appears on his forehead? Nasty way to go Sparky.

The Ghostship Mathematica

This is absolutely flying! I'm really enjoying this new 3riller. I actually feel quite sad that because of the 3 prog structure we've missed out on years of young Jones' life. There is so much scope in this series even with just the 3 characters introduced so far. I'm very excited to see how any of them survived that ending! And also how far forward in time we may jump next week. What was the shoulder joint line about? It seemed a bit out of place.

Stickleback

Kicking into high gear, this one. Stickleback and Miss Scarlet seem to have stumbled into something a little more dangerous than they expected. Stickleback seems to be much more involved than in the early chapters and his dialogue has been a little less vulgar, I'm growing to like him. There's nothing to say about the art that hasn't been said already except perhaps that the references are being trickled out now instead of shot out and that's probably a good thing.

Zombo

Much better than last week. The Beatles stuff (despite being on the quite hilarious cover) was really toned down to make way for Zombo destroying the Fantastic Four which was delightful. I had no idea about the last page though (until I read this thread, I really need to catch up with Zombo). Regardless, it's still quite a fun strip. I wonder what happened to 'Tech Person Karen'...