Main Menu

Digging the cover on 1830!!!

Started by ChickenStu, 01 May, 2013, 03:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenStu

Since I made such a fuss over not approving of the headless guy on the cover a few weeks back - I think it's only fair I should make equal fuss when I LOVE what's been done!

Dunno quite what possessed the guys at Rebellion to go retro this week - but very well done! Hope this is a start of a trend! Me and the newsagent had quite a chuckle over it!

If the Mighty Tharg is taking requests I'd love to see something done in the style of late 80's early 90's - cause that's when I would've been reading it as a kid! Might even buy some penny sweets and a Hush Puppy to go with it? (Remember Hush Puppies - they were, ahem "Zarjazz", lol)

A retro cover for the Meg would also be VERY WELCOME!!!

Seriously, I was made up with this. Nice one fellas!  :D
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

James Stacey

do you mean a slush puppy or the shoes ?

ChickenStu

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 May, 2013, 04:07:51 PM
do you mean a slush puppy or the shoes ?

SHIT!!!

Yeah, slush puppy.

How could I fuck that one up?!?

James Stacey

careful. they'll turn your tongue blue

ChickenStu

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 May, 2013, 04:09:33 PM
careful. they'll turn your tongue blue

What, the shoes or the drink?  :lol:

Alien Goodness

Like ChickenStu, I clucked with delight at this week's retro cover. I'm currently re-reading some Progs from the first couple of years, so I was momentarily confused at whether I was looking at an old Prog or a new one.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ChickenStu on 01 May, 2013, 03:57:14 PM

A retro cover for the Meg would also be VERY WELCOME!!!

Going back to 1991?

Or like the retro-cover for Meg 218:

The Sherman Kid

Worthy of a thread of its own  :D

Fantastic cover -well done to the team.Loved it.A lot of fun  :P

Starkers

Best cover in ages, I do need to go back and look at some old progs to see what impact inflation over the years has had on the Plutonian price of 2000AD though...

Dog Deever

Despite the fact that I have no emotional attachment to that logo, I felt the logo alone was an astronomical improvement on the current one (the large logo, not the circular one- its fine). The current one is just the most awful example of corporate blandness- it does absolutely nothing other than 'be readable' and is quite probably the worst 'logo' the comic has had ever, imo, ANY comic has had. The logo on this weeks gave the cover a whole different dynamic (in as much as it was actually dynamic) and really made it jump out- not just out of retro-appeal. Sometimes I think that just because something is 'retro' that it gets overlooked that it IS actually better. Change does not always equal progress.

Still- it's only a logo and it's the comic content that counts. I'm not about to stop buying just cos I happen to think the logo is crap- that would be dumb.
Anyway... this logo is best (summary executions for anyone saying different)...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Fisticuffs

I loved it too. Would be great if every 5 or 6 weeks maybe they went and did a retro style cover. Not too often that it becomes normal, but often enough to make it something to look forward to. :)

James Stacey

Conventional wisdom states, don't fuck with a logo regularly, its part of brand recognition.
Google appear to do ok totally ignoring this though.

Recrewt

Funnily enough those old Meg pictures remind me how the current logo for the Meg is in my opinion, the best it has ever been!  So, its not all bad news...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: James Stacey on 02 May, 2013, 11:13:37 AMConventional wisdom states, don't fuck with a logo regularly, its part of brand recognition.
Yep. Mind you, design wisdom states: don't cover up half the logo every issue—something most magazines ignore regularly (including 2000 AD).

Spikes

So thats sorted then. We keep this Logo. Good.

It is a brilliant cover, but more than owt its the art that really grabs. 2000ad at its bonkers best, and ill be breaking my 'read it in order' golden rule by heading straight for that story when i get chance to read it.
Still it was nice to see the price list back. If only for one week.