Main Menu

Too Many Comic Based Movies?

Started by Recrewt, 09 May, 2013, 01:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: sheldipez on 29 May, 2013, 11:25:53 AM
I'm amazed how Iron Man 3, someone who used to be a B-list character, has pulled so much at the box office.

An interesting point - a good/bad comic does not necessarily make a good/bad movie.  I like the Iron Man character but he is a bit limited really in terms of story.  However, the premise allows for lots of fancy CGI scenes with him flying around and doing cool stunts.  Plus, as others have said RDJ has been a big plus for those movies.  I feel the same about Wolverine - good in the x-men comics, not so fussed by the stuff on his own but boy those claws look great on screen!

Also agree with the comments about making comics easily available to newbies - always a problem when the source material is from a weekly publication that goes back decades.  DC seem to have made more efforts of late with their New 52 reboot but still there is work to be done.  GNs need to be far better labelled and have some sort of continuity through the range.  I noticed DC had created the 6-part TPBs for their reboots and now there are some others appearing - a batman one with bit of batman, nightwing and god knows what else - eh?

LorcanQ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 May, 2013, 11:45:48 AM

I'm suggesting that those movies may well create some general public interest in the associated comic properties, but it's fairly casual and if the publishers want to take advantage of it, then they need to put their comics where Joe Public can find the fucking things with little-to-no effort, and for the contents of those comics to be immediately and easily understandable.

Oh completely in regard to the big two but i think as for creator-owned comics that have been turned into films, especially kick-ass and walking dead, the movie/tv show must have a huge impact on increasing sales. I dont have any evidence to back this up but i remember when kick-ass came out, there was the movie-edition graphic novel on sale in all mainstream bookshops and walking dead graphic novels are also very easy to find.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 May, 2013, 11:45:48 AM
I'm suggesting that those movies may well create some general public interest in the associated comic properties, but it's fairly casual and if the publishers want to take advantage of it, then they need to put their comics where Joe Public can find the fucking things with little-to-no effort, and for the contents of those comics to be immediately and easily understandable.

Isn't that what those Comic Heroes things you see next to Take a Break and Thomas The Tank Engine magazine in supermarkets are for? I don't know, because I've never looked inside one.

On a tangent, whatever deal Rebellion struck last year which saw 2000ad gracing the shelves of my local Asda seems to have come to an end. I'm a digital reader, so it doesn't make any odds to me, but I enjoyed having a look to see how some art which looks fine on screen looks a bit ropey printed on shiny paper. To bring things back on topic, I assumed the reason why the prog popped up next to the carrots for a year was to try and cash in on the release of [spoiler]the Dredd film[/spoiler].

LorcanQ

Quote from: sauchie on 29 May, 2013, 08:24:09 PM

Isn't that what those Comic Heroes things you see next to Take a Break and Thomas The Tank Engine magazine in supermarkets are for? I don't know, because I've never looked inside one.

ah yeah, the panini marvel collectors editions, thats how i got into comics actually - no comic shops near me at all. they surely must have an increase in sales after films, being in prime positions as they are

The Enigmatic Dr X

As a fan of films where you can leave your brain at the door and revel in big explosions (hey! I like gritty stuff too, but I don't want to pay for stuff I can experience for free), then my answer is an unequivocal NO.

Any moaning or griping is just silly. You'll miss these films when they're gone. So, until then, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Lock up your spoons!