Main Menu

How would you do "Dredd 2"?

Started by ChickenStu, 15 September, 2014, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenStu

OK guys. I think I've cracked the way a sequel could be done and how it could lead in a possible third one. I've already touched on some of these points in another post so if I repeat myself please forgive me.
OK - there are rumblings that a new movie would deal with the Origins story. I personally think they should stay away from that. I don't really think this movie universe needs an origin story of any kind - at least certainly not for the first sequel. No - I actually think a perfect story for the sequel would be something akin to The Day The Law Died.
Dredd is called to HQ and told that they want him to partner with Anderson again. She's experiencing terrifying hallucinations and nightmares and whenever she has one of these episodes - an unusual amount of electrical energy is detected around her. The visions and dreams she has are of a skeletal face saying "I'm cooooooming.... you are the dooooorwaaay Andersssssson". Control want Dredd to basically protect Anderson. He is told in secret that for a while now, the existence of other dimensions has been suspected and Anderson may be experiencing some kind of interference from them. Dredd protests about doing a "babysitting" job but reluctantly agrees.
They are interupted by an explosion at the Hall of Justice. Dredd and Anderson are two of the Judges first on the scene. The chief Judge is killed in the explosion and Judge Cal is made temporary acting Chief. Only he's completely insane. Many Judges have been killed or injured.
Turns out Cal was behind the explosion and was hoping Dredd would be killed in it. His plan is to take control of Mega City One and wanted Dredd out of the way to make it easier.
The story would run much like the comic book does. Cal has Dredd, Anderson and the surviving Judges declared outlaws and they must go into the streets and lead a citizen uprising to take control of the city back. They must also prevent an assassination of Hershey who is next in line to be Chief Judge.
It's a story that like the original can be pretty streamlined. The point of it would mainly be to take the action out onto the streets of Mega City One.
Hall of Justice is destroyed, Chief Judge killed. Dredd and Anderson outlawed. They must prevent an assassination on Hershey, remove Cal from power, restore Hershey to her rightful place. BOSH. There's your movie.
The thing about Anderson's nightmares and hallucinations would be a subplot. During the course of the story we see her occasionally zone out and have one of her episodes. Dredd grows increasingly concerned about her throughout the course of the events. At the end they destroy Cal and put Hershey in place and control is restored to the city. However Anderson suddenly collapses. Dredd catches her and urgently calls for medical backup. Anderson is not breathing and Dredd desperately performs CPR on her. Suddenly her eyes open, the camera zooms right into her iris where we see the face of Judge Death who laughs then screams "I AM HERE!!"
Fade to black. Film ends. Then we have the Dark Judges story set up for the third.

I've said before in here that I don't think the Dark Judges can be done in one of these movies - but I think if they set the story up as a subplot in the previous film before they do it properly, maybe audiences could accept it. It would have to be done through the Anderson character much like it is in the comics. I'm still not completely convinced... but fuck it. If I had the job of directing the sequel I reckon I'd have a crack at it.

What about you guys? If it was up to you would you take an approach like this or do things differently?
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ChickenStu on 15 September, 2014, 10:10:08 AM
What about you guys? If it was up to you would you take an approach like this or do things differently

I'd let the guys that made a remarkably good job of bringing the character to the screen do it again and be pathetically grateful for any kind of sequel at all. Other people's mileage may vary.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Same as Jim, with the addition that I'd hope they'd merrily avoid the comic's stories or just pick and choose a few bits to integrate. The Dredd world isn't the same one as the comic, and long-running stories whose impacts rely on years of following Dredd won't have the same clout on screen. The Judge Dredd film's a good example of that: Dredd exhibiting doubts in the system after many years of kicking heads is one thing; after half an hour of screen time, not so much.

Bubba Zebill

Right, just do another great job. I really like the film because it's so respectful to the work and still somehow a very different dimension. So yes, coast as close as you can but be your own thing, is what I'd say. No film or show can touch the comics at their best. It's too easy to think of comics (because they are most obviously pictures) a rung on a ladder leading to film. When they are not really interchangeable media at all - comics are far superior. It doesn't get any better than great comics. But yes, make a sequel, that was cool.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

8-Ball

If it is going to be DREDD 2 then make it about the two Dredds. Have the Judge Dredd that we met in the first film Rico Dredd and introduce Joe Dredd in the sequel.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: 8-Ball on 15 September, 2014, 11:57:58 AM
If it is going to be DREDD 2 then make it about the two Dredds. Have the Judge Dredd that we met in the first film Rico Dredd and introduce Joe Dredd in the sequel.

Nice twist...
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

James Stacey

someone on faceybook posted that if they did the Origins story they should have Stallone play Fargo. I thought that would be an hilariously good idea.

Skullmo

Then in Dredd 3 they can have 3 Dredds!
It's a joke. I was joking.

8-Ball

Quote from: Skullmo on 15 September, 2014, 12:03:31 PM
Then in Dredd 3 they can have 3 Dredds!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :lol:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

shaolin_monkey

TordelBack

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Bat King

If I had the money to invest in the film I would leave all creative control to Alex garland n co. Sit back n relax n watch b the film once it was done.

Sorted.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Boo

Funnily enough I was talking about this with a mate over the weekend. As much as I love the Dark Judges I don't know that I'm that keen to see them in Dredd 2. I don't think they'd fit too well with the world set up in Dredd. I'd prefer something grittier with fantasy kept to more of a minimum.
Intrepid Book Correspondent for GeekPlanetOnline and comic reviewer for Sidekickcast

@bookiesnacksize on the Twitter

NapalmKev

If there is a Dredd 2, I think they should blow all of the budget in the first 10 minutes on a mass Fattie stampede!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"