Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Universal Soldier vs Tharg the Mighty Rd 1 Heat 49

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 December, 2021, 06:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we're well into the second half of the 1st Round and stats fans this week sees us cover 14.2% - 16.3% of the tourney over all... oh gosh... I wish I hadn't typed that... I'm sorry...

Fascinating one this - just how do you judge those Tharg the Mighty stories then - this is the actually strips named Tharg the Mighty - such great artists have done them, the idea was such fun and felt 'important' as a kid as it gave you a twisted peak behind the scenes.... But sometimes they're so god awful to actually read! Mind Universal Solider (we're not including Kelly's Eye story that span off here, that stands on its own) was a little all over the place too! I guess it comes down to...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Universal Soldier - more info

Vs.

Tharg the Mighty - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 9th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Universal Soldier was a bit all over the place and although I haven't read a Tharg story for years, I think at least some of them had a few laughs, so going with Old Green Bonce.

Tharg the Mighty.

IndigoPrime

I can't stand the Tharg stories. I recall a major WTF moment when 'Best' of 2000 AD monthly 63 was cover-to-cover Tharg stories.

Universal Soldier was no classic, but it was enjoyable enough. So that.

Link Prime

Tharg the Mighty has had a few amusing episodes, and quite a few were drawn by top tier artists.

AlexF

Universal Soldier had three top-tier artists all doing amongst their least best work - but it's still readable and entertaining and the core story of corporate intrigue coupled with fight-chip technology and prison planets is one that should have worked, and at times it nearly does.

There are literally no good Tharg stories. Fun to glimpse a weird version of the Nerve Centre, sure, but a bigger waste of the talents of Ezquerra, Belardinelli, Dorey and poor old Eric Bradbury I can't imagine.

Universal Soldier

(One can barely even play the Alan McKenzie card here, as he likely wrote a big chunk of the later Tharg stories, too)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

tharg the mighty

i miss having a factual, documentary strip in the prog.

credo

I distinctly remember a single page of the original Universal Soldier, drawn by Will Simpson, where the main character thinks he's a feudal Japanese samurai. Despite that single sentence revealing many of the shortcomings of this thrill (I can't remember the character, the fetishisation of the concept), it does reveal that some aspect of it has truly stuck in my brain.

Despite Carlos drawing many (most? all?) of the Tharg tales, I don't think I can recall a single storyline or panel.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: credo on 06 December, 2021, 02:48:05 PM
Despite Carlos drawing many (most? all?) of the Tharg tales, I don't think I can recall a single storyline or panel.

There was some lovely work by others, inparticular Eric bradbury springs to my mind.

credo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 December, 2021, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: credo on 06 December, 2021, 02:48:05 PM

There was some lovely work by others, inparticular Eric bradbury springs to my mind.

How could I forget!

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 December, 2021, 09:34:55 AM
Tharg the Mighty has had a few amusing episodes, and quite a few were drawn by top tier artists.

Carlos Ezquerra, Massimo Belardinelli, Eric Bradbury - what more need be said?

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 06 December, 2021, 10:31:56 AM
tharg the mighty

i miss having a factual, documentary strip in the prog.

Well, this more need be said - the stories illustrated by the art droids I mentioned were the ones running when I became a squaxx, and the droid versions of the creators really highlighted where the talent was.  We get droid names nowadays, but the representation in the prog?  Not so much.

(so my vote also goes for Tharg the Mighty)

Blue Cactus

Funt Solo

Thargus Maximus - Bringer of Thrills!

I really enjoyed the Thrill Sucker stories.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++