Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

Quote from: Tempunaut on 26 August, 2014, 01:13:36 PM
I find myself coming to this small, peaceful corner of the interweb for moment of quiet reflection.  This morning, i have read comments from concerned No voters and our friends and family south of the border. I've read that Salmon is a bully, because he spoke over a man who was doing the same. I've read that the snp are racists, that nationalists are Nazis. I've read the Scotland is populated by ill mannered savages. I've read calls for a boycott on Scottish goods, that scots should be prevented from holding offices of state, that Scotland should be stripped of its political powers.  I've read that if Scotland does vote Yes; the rest of the UK should do it's best to ruin Scotland financially.
I've read all of these things written by ordinary voters who don't want us to leave them.

Cameron's lovebomb is over. UK is taking its ball and going home.

This is why I refuse to be drawn into this shitstorm. It is not worth it.

That is all.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 26 August, 2014, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 26 August, 2014, 01:20:21 PM
after reading umpteen zillion tweets on the subject, I formed a pretty clear picture of an abusive co-dependency

I hope the shoutiness and apparent anger across the internet daily - Twitter especially - is not representative of real life and real people...

That in itself is a very good point: opinions formed through reading people's opinions are likely to be similarly devoid of nuance or restraint.

Modern Panther

I fear that given the mask of the internet, we see the true face of the voting public.

And Sharky, you'd love it here. Our national traits are a distrust of those in authority, financial prudence, and being drunk.

The Legendary Shark

And how many twitterers are real and how many are automated bots or human agents for the various campaigns, factions and interests? Spotty, unpaid interns with whatever colour of politics they fancy making a career in hovering over dozens of media accounts spewing propaganda in the vain hope that, even though they have been told (wink, wink) not to do this, they can invent the most twitterers and achieve the most trends so that they attract the favourable attentions of a Party Mechanic with a spare greasy pole in need of a climber.
Or maybe people are simply natural bigots.
Good Lord - if I get any more cynical I'll have to stop believing in the water cycle. (Oh wait - we live on a wet planet mostly covered with water in one form or another and we're running out of the stuff; so it looks like skepticism concerning this absurd "water cycle" is already on the agenda. Whaddoyaknow? For once, I'm ahead of the curve!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

And how many twitterers are real and how many are automated bots or human agents for the various campaigns, factions and interests? Spotty, unpaid interns with whatever colour of politics they fancy making a career in hovering over dozens of media accounts spewing propaganda in the vain hope that, even though they have been told (wink, wink) not to do this, they can invent the most twitterers and achieve the most trends so that they attract the favourable attentions of a Party Mechanic with a spare greasy pole in need of a climber.
Or maybe people are simply natural bigots.
Good Lord - if I get any more cynical I'll have to stop believing in the water cycle. (Oh wait - we live on a wet planet mostly covered with water in one form or another and we're running out of the stuff; so it looks like skepticism concerning this absurd "water cycle" is already on the agenda. Whaddoyaknow? For once, I'm ahead of the curve!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Oops. Sorry.
Tempy - sign me up!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

To be ruled by a thousand tyrants a mile up the road; or 1 tyrant a thousand miles away....Mel Gibson wasn't it? 
F**k it, at least the bastards who'd be screwing ye would be bastards you could upbraid on the street. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2014, 12:15:01 PM
The most important question, in my view, that you Scots should be asking is - will you start creating and backing your own currency interest free or will you be forced to borrow privately created, interest bearing currency? If the answer is the latter then I wouldn't even bother voting because nothing can change for the better. 
Follow the money!

Plan A is to keep the pound as part of an official currency union with what's left of the UK, plan B is to use the pound as our currency without the permission of what's left of the UK.

TordelBack

Now Sauchie, you know perfectly well that there is no Plan B.  That nice Mr. Darling told us so.

Old Tankie

Don't know anything about Tweets or Twitterers but down here in Middle England all I sense is a complete indifference.  Go! Stay!  Oh! what's for tea, love?

Modern Panther

Darling Darling seemed to think that every option was a bad one. Maybe he's with the Shark.

GordonR

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2014, 12:15:01 PM
The most important question, in my view, that you Scots should be asking is - will you start creating and backing your own currency interest free or will you be forced to borrow privately created, interest bearing currency? If the answer is the latter then I wouldn't even bother voting because nothing can change for the better. 
Follow the money!

Was this the sort of top-level global economic insight you gained while shouting through the letterbox at the bailiffs?

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: sauchie post office on 26 August, 2014, 04:38:11 PM

Plan A is to keep the pound as part of an official currency union with what's left of the UK, plan B is to use the pound as our currency without the permission of what's left of the UK.

Plan A isn't going to happen, Plan B is Tory heaven because it means effective UK control of Scotland and perpetual Tory government. Salmond is only pushing this because he can then blame all the economic damage "independence" has caused on the English.

Actual independence would mean a new Scottish currency, as has been championed by some Yes campaigners with a bit more sense than their leader.

Proudhuff

'Salmond is only pushing this because he can then blame all the economic damage "independence" has caused on the English'

and your evidence is? No where, for god know how long, has he, or the SNP, blamed 'the english'
DDT did a job on me