Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

and when the police turn up to a reported school shooting to see a student with a gun ... well, I think I'd rather take my chances with the original shooter than a bunch of trigger-happy militarised cops, and I'm white.

Professor Bear

Hot on the heels of announcing that "work will set you free", the Conservatives have taken yet another play from successful political organisations of the past by announcing they will be offering a completely voluntary alternative to "militant" unions in the form of "conservative trade unions": http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-trade-union-conservatives-robert-halfon-a6674621.html

Professor Bear

The political thread has fallen silent as everyone goes off to the Conservative Party Conference...

NapalmKev

Quote from: Zombear on 07 October, 2015, 01:40:07 PM
The political thread has fallen silent as everyone goes off to the Conservative Party Conference...

They wouldn't let me in! Must've been because of the 3 pallets of Rancid Tomatoes I brought.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Old Tankie

Greengrocer must've loved you!

Richmond Clements

Interesting that Cameron had to resort to telling an out and out lie in order to attack Corbyn. At least he didn't wheel out his dead son when talking about dismantling the NHS like he usually does.

Old Tankie

Richmond Clements

Well, there were many, but the specific one I'm referring to is in his claim that Corbyn is a 'traitor' to his country for saying it was a tragedy Bin Laden was shot. But of course he didn't say that. And the pig lover knows he didn't. He's a liar.

IndigoPrime

Spin on Corbyn saying the killing of Bin Laden was a tragedy. It was the lack of due process and death penalty by way of de-facto assassination that he stated was a tragedy. Not only is he right, in my opinion, this view was once shared by none other than Boris Johnson, and so it's not like Tories were all at one point gung-ho about that. Mind you, even Cameron might not be—he's just using an out of context quote to score political points. But then half this Tory conference has been about the veneer of moderate policy while actually skewing further right. (The housing thing is almost genius. More people should own! 200,000 homes! Big number! Ignores the fact most people won't be able to afford them, and that this will happen instead of further investment in council homes, despite record-low interest rates continuing.)

IndigoPrime

Old Tankie

So he did say, "and is yet another tragedy".

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 October, 2015, 03:11:58 PM
So he did say, "and is yet another tragedy".

You can't shear the context from someone's words and pretend that they said something they didn't.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

You can if you're a Tory, Jim.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 October, 2015, 03:03:28 PM
Well, there were many, but the specific one I'm referring to is in his claim that Corbyn is a 'traitor' to his country for saying it was a tragedy Bin Laden was shot. But of course he didn't say that. And the pig lover knows he didn't. He's a liar.

It's actually tragic if you stop and examine what he's doing: Corbyn gets stronger and his support base grows the more he's attacked, and Cameron's strategy is to go back to the same old tactic of attacking him through repetition of a lie that's already been disproved even by the right-wing press - from a fortress beseiged by an 80,000-strong mob, while his speech is picked apart in real-time for inaccuracies via a social media platform used by 80 percent of the population, the vast majority of which are making pig references.

Old Tankie

So he didn't say that then?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 October, 2015, 03:21:01 PM
So he didn't say that then?

This is just trolling, Tankie. You know perfectly well that Corbyn wasn't expressing support for Bin Laden, or sympathy for his cause. He was describing the extra-judicial killing of a man who should have been hauled through the justice system and held to account for his actions as one more tragedy in a succession of tragedies. As has been explained to you already, it's the lack of due process he's talking about.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.