Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 September, 2014, 05:39:43 AM
"Politicians take note. If people believe their vote will count, they will cast it."

Not a big surprise, really - reinforces my conviction that, contrary to the anarchist/nationalist/Marxist/fascist analysis of a population just waiting to have a better voting system and better media coverage before voting for (insert preferred option here), the low voting figures in general elections reflect a population broadly satisfied with the Westminster consensus.

Frank

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 September, 2014, 05:39:43 AM
NO always seemed to me like the dullest option. The boring one. The one our bollocks government wants. The "keep calm etc" one - heads down, move on, forget about it. Nae bother.

As you point out, that really isn't what happened; rejecting nationalism isn't the same as embracing or even accepting the status quo. That a people as practical as the Scots rejected the half arsed Homer-mobile compromise put forward by the Nats should come as a surprise to no-one.

Frank

Shit, man - did you just see the ash blonde Alistair Darling closing his speech by flicking on the strobe and raving to The Scream? That was like the bits in Zenith where Tory Peter St John's eyes went Paisley pattern.

Banners

Quote from: Fungus
I think we dodged a bullet...
but Salmond speaking now is moving all the same. Wow.

His jacket really needed some anti-alias.

Tombo

Have to say very impressed with the turn out, 85% has got to be some sort of record.

Dudley

Quote from: Tombo on 19 September, 2014, 07:32:43 AM
Have to say very impressed with the turn out, 85% has got to be some sort of record.

Not even close - South Sudan had something approaching a 95% turnout, in far more difficult conditions.  East Timor had over 98% turnout. Even Montenegro had 86%. Over 15% of Scots couldn't be arsed to vote even on a country-altering issue with a knife-edge prediction, even with conveniently positioned polling stations.  Not a cause for self-congratulation.

8-Ball

Quote from: Dudley on 19 September, 2014, 07:43:24 AM

Not even close - South Sudan had something approaching a 95% turnout, in far more difficult conditions.  East Timor had over 98% turnout. Even Montenegro had 86%. Over 15% of Scots couldn't be arsed to vote even on a country-altering issue with a knife-edge prediction, even with conveniently positioned polling stations.  Not a cause for self-congratulation.

Are you deliberately trolling now? I am genuinely trying not to get angry here but your general tone is not helpful.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Hawkmumbler

I think a few board members are gonna need this today....

Dudley

Quote from: 8-Ball on 19 September, 2014, 08:53:34 AM

Are you deliberately trolling now?

No.

QuoteI am genuinely trying not to get angry here but your general tone is not helpful.

Sorry, but as long as people are not making personal attacks or deliberately lying, they get to continue talking.  Even if the points they make don't line up with your views.

Banners

The result's in but what we all really want to know is if Richmond did, in fact, get his leg over.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dudley on 19 September, 2014, 09:08:16 AM
Sorry, but as long as people are not making personal attacks or deliberately lying, they get to continue talking.

And sometimes even if they are.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Banners on 19 September, 2014, 09:11:18 AM
The result's in but what we all really want to know is if Richmond did, in fact, get his leg over.

:-) I can barely get my eyelids open..

8-Ball

Quote from: Dudley on 19 September, 2014, 09:08:16 AM
Quote from: 8-Ball on 19 September, 2014, 08:53:34 AM

Are you deliberately trolling now?

No.

QuoteI am genuinely trying not to get angry here but your general tone is not helpful.

Sorry, but as long as people are not making personal attacks or deliberately lying, they get to continue talking.  Even if the points they make don't line up with your views.

Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure. :D
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Theblazeuk

QuoteNot a big surprise, really - reinforces my conviction that, contrary to the anarchist/nationalist/Marxist/fascist analysis of a population just waiting to have a better voting system and better media coverage before voting for (insert preferred option here), the low voting figures in general elections reflect a population broadly satisfied with the Westminster consensus.

Just goes to show how easy it is to make anything fit your own convictions. It's anecdotal evidence to be sure but I've not met any one who has decided not to vote who was satisfied with the Westminster consensus - not a single person. Seems an entirely empty correlation no matter how I look it.

Modern Panther

I,m sure you'll be impressed Dudley, that in some areas in South Sudan the voter turnout was even higher than 100%. Quite an achievement and boon to Sudanese democracy, i'm sure you'll agree.

Since both camps were promising the removal of power from Westminster and increased power to the Scottish parliament, the result hardly indicates a general approval of Westminster politics. 

The turnout, if anything, showed that despite what we are often told, people care passionately about politics. They just don't care about politicians.