Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Yes, the constant drive for economic growth is a huge factor - but this drive has a specific purpose, which is to keep up with inflation. Inflation, of course, is caused by rising taxes. To combat rising taxes eating into profits, either you increase the cost of your jar of olives or you put one fewer olive in every jar and make up the weight with an inferior heavy jar of lower quality, a thicker label and more glue. Taxes must continue to rise to service government debt. Government debt must continue to rise due to compound interest on that debt. Compound interest must continue to mount because the banks demand it. The banks must demand it because they're insolvent. The banks are insolvent due to their headlong charge for economic growth...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

'I understand your dichotomy comrade'. Who ever guesses where that quote comes from will get one (and only one) sarcastic,undermining e-mail from me. Z >:D
Keep on thread, keep on thread, must keep on thread....
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 February, 2014, 11:51:30 AMInflation, of course, is caused by rising taxes.

No it isn't. Inflation is, at its most basic level,  caused by increasing the money supply, but there are many other factors: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntharvey/2011/05/30/what-actually-causes-inflation/

The Legendary Shark

The money supply would not need to increase if it weren't for compound interest.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Latest: After weeks of provarication and childishness, the Council has finally written a letter of apology to my Mother. Well, they call it a letter of apology but in my estimation it really isn't - it's a mealy-mouthed, flaccid letter of obfuscation and half-truths designed primarily to offer justification for the unjustifiable and an apology for how my Mum feels, not an apology for causing that feeling through despicable and unlawful behaviour.

I should be angry but I'm just amused. Some of the people involved have letters after their names and university time behind them but they are still too ignorant to know how apologies work. I'm as thick as two short planks but I can still see through the Council's clumsy and cowardly schemes with relative ease.

I'm counting that as a win, however, meagre and weak though it is.

2-1 to me, I think.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 February, 2014, 02:28:28 PM
Some of the people involved have letters after their names and university time behind them but they are still too ignorant to know how apologies work.

I think you'll find they know exactly how apologies work.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

That's kinda' what I meant. :-)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Stan

So last year we had a story about hackers using webcam data to blackmail people. Then earlier this year it was revealed that the FBI were spying on people without triggering anything that would alert the victim. Now we find that GCHQ are doing basically the same thing.

Remember those craaaaaaazy tinfoilhatters who prefer put a little tape over their webcam?

Yeah...

The Legendary Shark

Now, about these shape-shifting lizard people...

Ooop... wrong thread. It's becoming ever more difficult to tell the two apart...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

'You don't just, in the 21st century, behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on a completely trumped-up pretext.' - John Kerry.  Who has clearly forgotten about an earlier 21st century invasion based on a completely trumped-up pretext.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 March, 2014, 01:06:47 AM
'You don't just, in the 21st century, behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on a completely trumped-up pretext.' - John Kerry.  Who has clearly forgotten about an earlier 21st century invasion based on a completely trumped-up pretext.

It was okay when the US did it (twice), because they're the good guys. The Russians are the bad guys, Jayzus.

Stan

Did we get T2 intro'd yet?

Stan

There is no fate but what we make.

The Legendary Shark

Heard the latest political "joke" from the Ukraine in an RT piece the other day:
The UN, the UK, the USA and the EU have been discussing the situation and are all in complete agreement that there should be no interference in the internal affairs of the Ukraine - by Russia.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sauchie on 03 March, 2014, 06:52:46 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 March, 2014, 01:06:47 AM

It was okay when the US did it (twice), because they're the good guys. The Russians are the bad guys, Jayzus.

Ah, I see. My mistake.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"