Main Menu

horror films

Started by psycho_slaughterman, 27 May, 2005, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

James - when & where? 'girl & I would be up for it!
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

I think The Thing is marvellous, in that I watch it, and marvel.  Such a fantastic movie.

Pyroxian

>I think The Thing is marvellous, in that I watch it, and marvel. Such a fantastic movie.

It was a hard choice between that and Alien for me, and Alien only _just_ won, because it still shits me up, whereas the Thing is just great to watch (Must watch it again now...)

Steve

Lord Running Clam

What about BBCs,Ghostwatch.It really freaked me out when I saw it.
Of more current films,Dark Water was pretty good,though it has made me swear never to watch another horror movie from japan.

The Amstor Computer

Ghostwatch was aces first time around, and it still stands up surprisingly well now. Check out the BFI DVD if you get the chance, as it's a nice presentation of this spooky show.

Dark Water is a good little movie, let down by a slightly weak ending. If you enjoyed that, then Cursed, Phone, Eye, Ju-On or any of the Ringu movies would probably be worth a look...

Funt Solo

skurvy - I think we watched the same double-bill.

The first movie was called "The Car", which you could call a cross between "Christine" and "Duel".  A menacing car roams the rural highways of America, killing people.  A lot.

"Bug" was indeed a memorable horror, in the pantheon of movies-where-insects-attack but somehow on another level as it turns out that these bugs have come up from the depths of hell itself!  To this day, I still check the ear-piece of every single phone before I put it to my ear.  Those devil-spawn aren't setting my hair on fire, by jove!

I haven't seen hide nor hair of either of those movies since.

With movies like Bug, Phase IV (where the cunning termights harness the power of the sun to defeat the scientists) and all those killer-bee ones, is it any wonder I have a phobia of insects?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert

scanners zombie flesheaters the exterminater texas chainsaw massacre SAW the cube sliver silence of the lambs....

JimBob

Phase IV is a really odd little movie that i haven't seen since I was a teenager, would love to see it again as I have a confused recollection of how it ends.
 I miss horror movies being "hosted", STV in the 80's used to do this regularly late night, and i think having a spod talking about a movie before hand adds to the experience
(though oddly I've never seen a post-film feature which in many ways makes more sense, maybe 15 minutes of features after the movie, though i suspect dvd has killed this kind of thing off).

Lord Running Clam

Not horror films as such,but stuff like The Dark Crystal and Return to OZ,made an impact on me when I saw them at a young age.

Dudley

Oddboy - mail me @ work tomorrow and we'll fix it up.

Byron Virgo

We were going to watch Theatre of Blood yesterday, but ended up watching...something else (not The House that Dripped Blood).

Bico

An American Werewolf in London is my all-time fave horror movie.  Top show - the bit with the nazi/demon/werewolf/bikers and that bit that Peter Jackson ripped off in Fellowship of the Ring were spooktastic when i was a nipper.

Byron Virgo

What bit? Griffin Dunne? Cos he was in Scosese's After Hours...

Bico

No, that bit where he's dreaming and opens his eyes at the saucy nurse and he's wearing too much eyeshadow and fangs.  Bilbo did much the same in the first Lord of the Rings movie.

Byron Virgo

Oh yeah. Except that that was cg, and so innately cack.

Mutant bikers are good though, but.

Best horror film would probably have to be one of the following:
-Dead of Night
-Bride of Frankenstein
-Curse of Frankenstein
-Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula)
-Freaks
-I Walked With A Zombie
-The Innocents
-Night/Curse of the Demon
-Cat People
-Brides of Dracula
-Hound of the Baskervilles
-Fall of the House of Usher
-Nosferatu
-Masque of the Red Death
-Dawn of the Dead (Aka Zombie)
-Tomb of Ligeia
-Plague of the Zombies
-The Gorgon
-Peeping Tom
-Psycho
-The Phantom of the Opera
-The Ghoul
-Night of the Eagle
-Curse of the Werewolf
-The Mummy
-From Beyond the Grave
-Witchfinder General (aka The Conqueror Worm)
-The Wicker Man
-The Devil Rides Out
-The Abominable Snowman (aka The Abominable Snowman of he Himalayas)

But I'm probably leaving a lot out...