Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 28/05/05, THE DOCTOR DANCES...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 28 May, 2005, 04:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

"Is it me, or are a lot of these new Dr Who episodes using a lot of the living dead? I count four different stories using zombies"

Huh?

Rose - Autons
The End of the World - Various aliens
The Unquiet Dead - The Gelth, aliens inhabiting the dead
Aliens of London / World War Three - The Slitheen, aliens posing as people
Dalek - Well, duh ;-)
The Long Game - One giant alien (the Jagrafess) and a group of dead human slaves
Father's Day - The Reapers
The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances - Empty People

Dunno what criteria you're using, but I can only see two stories there that really feature what you could call the "living dead" and one that could be said to at a push. If you *really* wanted to stretch it, the Autons could be described as pseudo-zombies, I suppose.

Artificial Idiot

If the Slitheen are back... Does this mean all the fart jokes are in as well?

WoD

I thought it was great, and as it happens I was at the station where they filmed the bomb scenes today (went to see Thomas The Tank Engine at Barry Island - the look of amazement on my 2 yr olds face was fantastic, and I was a proper fan boy when they told us about the Who filming, and I got to touch 'rubber barbed-wire' used in the filming!!).

paulvonscott

Rubber barbed wire?  Gah!  You've spoiled the magic of Doctor Who for me...

The Amstor Computer

The Schlecter Wolf bomb. That translates (roughly and probably badly) as a "Bad Wolf" bomb ;-)

Max Kon

is it just me, or does Piper look like a mouse in those adds on the phone boxes?

Oddboy

Excellent episode - really chilling aspects to it as well as genuinly funny moments - and the 'Go to your room!' get out clause was pure class!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Lobo Baggins

Excellent couple of episodes, I thought - just the right mix of scary and funny.  I got the 'Saturday Night Feeling' for the first time during the cliffhanger for 'The Empty Child'*...

Thankfully, it wasn't as deux ex machina as 'Father's Day', which I was worried might happen.

There were quite a lot of irritating anacronisms, in both episodes, though...

*Long time Doctor Who fans will understand this.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Carlsborg Expert

I missed the first instalment,but there was enough info to keep me watching this second part.

Captain Jack is already involved in the family of the Doc and Rose.

The deviciveness.The comment on sexuality with the butcher's "man" and a certain major.

Nice ship design for Captian Jack,more than an echo of Dan Dare there.Well the cap and the spaceship.A little nod to Stanley Kubriks film about the war.(forgot what its called but Slim Pickens rodayoing an atom bomb in it.)

The transformation got to me in the proper horror fashion.

It was nice to see a happy ending. Lets leave the cleansing to Slaine this week,eh?

Chris is a very good Doctor and has earned the wear of the boots.Its a pity hes not staying on.I dont want to start but why do not feel alone in this sad countdown of episodes.Im hurrying to get the dvds as soon as I can.

Yeah i really enjoyed the episode and the arrangement of them is working a treat.

Byron Virgo

"A little nod to Stanley Kubriks film about the war.(forgot what its called but Slim Pickens rodayoing an atom bomb in it.)"

Dr. Strangelove (or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb).

Although he also directed the excellent Paths of Glory as well.

Richmond Clements

I'm just back from the swimming pool, where I heard a child being reased with the line 'Are you my mummy?'
Fantasic!

Tordelbach

Scary and upsetting in places, hilarious and uplifting in others, moderately logical if unoriginal SF plot, cracking dialogue and great (over)acting (that Nancy was terrific), plus the Secret Origin of the Sonic Screwdriver(sort of!), I'm happy to say that was the Best Dr Who Episoe since Tom Baker's tenure.

Even if the next season is utter tripe, this truly has been the undisputed King of TV for the past few months.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Byron Virgo

"I heard a child being reased"

I have no idea what that means, and I'm not sure I want to either.

Richmond Clements

'Teased' Damn you you beared bastard!

Oddboy

O - and I was right about who 'Mummy' was!
Better set your phaser to stun.