Main Menu

Name me ONE film, just ONE

Started by LARF, 06 June, 2005, 06:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Also in the book the main purpose of the military pre-Bugs seems to be suppressing  rebellions by poorly armed aliens on colony planets using flamethrowers and mini-nukes. Very honourable and dignified, I'm sure that all societies would be better off being led by people who crush the fuzzy-wuzzies for a living.

Tanky

RE: Brave New World:

I fell asleep at the bit wth the helicopter. It didn't seem like i missed much :/

judge dreddd

brave new world, the book is better and a short read, but the guy in the film, the savage, quotes thoreau before he falls to his death

thoreau was all about, well, some of us are different so kewl

films/books...well. what makes a good book may not make a good film, i think,and if you love the film you may read the book, what annoys me is when they pretend its exactly like the book

bram stokers dracula seemed cool, then i skimmed a copy of the book which had pics from the film on the cover and said 'arse, its different in main ways'

so, a film is a film
a book is a book

Dounreay

I wouldn't like to see a society run exclusively by  ex-military types either.

What I took from Starship Troopers was that Heinlien was saying citizenship should be earned not given. Heinlien chose to show military service as the means of earning it. Now maybe he was saying that is the only way or maybe he was saying its one way among many.

If he was a libertine, then I would have thought he wouldn't be very keen on big military as that means big government and big taxes. On the other hand the dope may have confused his thinking a bit.

The tone and style of the book does come across as a bit strange now, but bear in mind to was written in Fifties Cold War America - a lot of stuff from that time now seems absurdly one-sided and naieve.

Of course I may have read the book in entirely the wrong light - my own thinking is a bit confused at times.  

Art

And, relating to the WotW modern setting debate, would Apocalpyse Now have been better if it was set in the Congo in the 19th century, as per Conrads book?

Smiley

Bet you'd sniff haughtily at a remake of Fitzcarraldo if it involved some nutty new-age DJ wanting to hold a rave in the middle of the Amazon and having the locals haul his stage through the jungle on logs. (How long, Hollywood?)

For me, placing War Of The Worlds in modern America was like having Sherlock Holmes foiling Nazis. You can forgive it because it's still Holmes, but you want gaslit London and pea-soupers, not Herr Strudelkopf getting busted by G-Men in the lobby of the Hilton.

Art

What about Harrison Ford trying to build a giant fridge in the amazon, so he can make Caiparinas?

Art

"Many of the natives have never seen a Mojito before!"

Smiley

As quixotic jungle adventures go, that's a bit rubbish.

psycho_slaughterman

the Crow the first one, ok they made a slight change in the location of the murder, but the rest is pretty much stuck to the story.

psm