Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

After a brief, unexpected and first-time-ever spell in hospital I left feeling sorry for myself but was cheered up instantly by finding the below four Batman hardback collections in a flea market for €1 each. I don't know anything about Batman the comic but these books collect the most important stories and three of them are Alan Grant penned. I don't think the titles reflect the English since they're collections but I'll translate them if any of you are Bat fans and bothered to know.

No. 80 - Face to Face: http://www.alastor.biz/public/files/batman_la_leggenda_80_faccia_a_faccia.jpg
No. 81 - The Outcasts: http://www.alastor.biz/public/files/batman_la_leggenda_81_i_reietti_di_gotham.jpg
No. 82 - "Anarky in Gotham": http://www.fumetto-online.it/images/fumetti/PLANETA-DE%20AGOSTINI/batman_la_leggenda_82_anarky_in_gotham.jpg
No. 83 - Second Chances: http://www.alastor.biz/public/files/batman_la_leggenda_83_seconde_possibilita.jpg

I could have bought more, and I wish I had, but I no more spare change so I just picked out the Grant ones and whatever looked good. Curses!

TordelBack

Today I have mostly been googlin' the missus, which is just as much fun as it sounds.

She got the struggling charity she works for into the Huffington Post today, along with front-page on most of the online extensions of the broadcast and print newsmedia, and some 20 TV and radio interviews in one day.  Not bad going for someone who's only been back in her PR/media job since since July, and is filling two other positions at the same time.  Just call me Proudleback.

Aonghus

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
Today I have mostly been googlin' the missus, which is just as much fun as it sounds.

She got the struggling charity she works for into the Huffington Post today, along with front-page on most of the online extensions of the broadcast and print newsmedia, and some 20 TV and radio interviews in one day.  Not bad going for someone who's only been back in her PR/media job since since July, and is filling two other positions at the same time.  Just call me Proudleback.

That's savage, congratulations to her! What's her charity called? I'm starting my new (only voluntary, alas) job as a newsreader on Raidió na Life today, might give it a mention if I can :)

maryanddavid

Nice one TB and best of luck Aonghus.
I sometimes bemoan where I live, its far to travel to Cons, nearest comics shop is over fifty miles, most concerts are a 3hour drive etc etc.
Last night I took the dogs for a quick walk before it got dark, its was the most glorious evening and I took the pic below with my phone, made me very satisified with where I am.
The lake is a small bog lake called Lough Naspleenagh.

Aonghus

Thanks David! Lovely shot too- I can practically see your bee-loud glade.

TordelBack

That's the pure stuff alright, David. 

Cheers for that too, Aonghus, and congrats on what sounds like an interesting venture - is that an Irish language station for Dublin, or an offshoot of Liffey Sound FM?  I'd rather not mention the wife's employer by name on the forum, since I've been extremely uncharitable here previously about the worm-ridden spineless cocksuckers that ran the place until very recently.  But I might drop you a PM!

Aonghus

Lol, had forgotten that. Do PM me by all means, I'll try to mention them/her! And it's a separate Irish language station for Dublin- Liffey Sound's just Lucan as far as I know. It's good fun so far anyway!

johnnystress

Lough Naspleenagh-What an intriguing place name

Is it based on 'Splíonach'?

a hippish person, a meagre person
peevish, melancholy, person; thin, wretched person

SmallBlueThing

Because one year ago tonight i was briefly a hero to my kids when i "saved the man who fell off the cliff" while watching the fireworks.

Tonight, no one fell off the cliff that i am aware of- though we did get up there late due to the rain and i overheard something about someone stuck in a crevice and the rescue team being on their way- but the fireworks themselves were (and i use this phrase advisedly) fucking amazing. So much better than last year, bigger, more explosive and just honestly worthy of the loud "ooh"s and "ahh"s they elicited from the throng, myself included.

Top fun.

SBT

judgefloyd

So you just rested on your laurels and left the guy in the crevice?  Just kidding, and that's a nice story.  I love fireworks, me.

For me life is okay because I have work that I like and I'm good at, and my family is well. 

Tiplodocus

My new tablet actually plays the digital copies of movies I have (we could never get this to work on Tiny Tips' tablet no matter how many codecs we downloaded).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spicy Biscuit

Visiting my Nan down in the Old Country I'm reminded she lives 15km from anywhere and thus I get to see the night sky in all it's glory.
This is of course countered by the awful weather (I'm a winter man, through and through), but just enough to make the night times worth it.

Spikes

TordelBack

Quote from: Spicy Biscuit on 16 October, 2012, 09:10:02 PM
Visiting my Nan down in the Old Country I'm reminded she lives 15km from anywhere and thus I get to see the night sky in all it's glory.

Jupiter in Taurus particularly lovely sight at the moment, framed by Aldebaran, Alnath, the Pleiades and the Hyades, and M31 in Andromeda twinkling just above on a dark one.  Balm for the soul.

Spikes

Huzzah! Another wodge of back issues arrived today, this time courtesy of the 2000ad shop.
Cant read 'em yet as to complete a run im needing progs 1769, 1770 and 1771 (the Chris Weston variant).
And that last one is pretty expensive, if e-bay is owt to go by!