Main Menu

weird/strange names of Judges

Started by spireite68, 03 February, 2011, 08:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilewood

Haven't got the Prog to hand, but in Mike Carrol's "OCD" Dredd story a couple of weeks back, someone says something about a "Little red corvette" (or similar) and the reporting Judges are Nelson and Rogers.

In case you don't know - The artist formerly known as Prince, but now known as Prince again's full name is Prince Rogers Nelson.

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Emp

WhizzBang

Quote from: Lee Bates on 15 February, 2011, 11:44:50 AM
There's a Judge Shmaltz in The Day The Law Died who kept making sentimental speeches and crying.
This one made me laugh when I read it in the case files, I think I would not have got it as a kid. One of the judges verdict on him after he finally dies is "He talked too much!"

vzzbux

Quote from: exilewood on 15 February, 2011, 02:04:18 PM
In case you don't know - The artist formerly known as Prince, but now known as Prince again's full name is Prince Rogers Nelson.

Sounds like Royalty shagging Admiralty.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Emperor

Judge Amos and Judge Andy, Tek Judges and music lovers.

Judge Izzard - made to take the Long Walk due to "excessive zeal"
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jedit

Quote from: Misanthrope on 15 February, 2011, 05:13:20 PM
Judge Ocks.

Misanthrope, find yourself another Mega-City to be part of.

"Morph" was a familiar name for Judge Morphy.  Perfectly legit name, most famously belonging to the American chess world champion Paul Morphy.

Judge Giant is an odd one because his grandfather wasn't actually called Giant.  Technically he should have been Judge Clay.

Come to think of it, Dredd is a pretty strange name.

Emperor

Quote from: Jedit on 19 February, 2011, 11:32:43 AMJudge Giant is an odd one because his grandfather wasn't actually called Giant.  Technically he should have been Judge Clay.

My take on that, while most judges keep their family surname, for others it is a.. marketing things, and can either hand out names that might be intimidating (if you are hammering out a clone police force you might as well give them scary names) or allow people to adopt a different one (as might have been done with Giant, as the "Giant" name is the legacy - Judge Rico seemed to have no problem changing his badge name).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JOE SOAP

spireite68

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2011, 05:23:51 PM
I'm still waiting for Judge Cunt.

I think there has been a few of those already!!!!
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

Jedit

Quote from: Emperor on 19 February, 2011, 05:09:07 PM
Judge Rico seemed to have no problem changing his badge name).

I always thought that was to distinguish him from his clone-brother.  Judges have to be accountable for their actions in case of corruption (which was a good call in this case).  It'd be OK to have a bunch of Judge Smiths if they weren't clones as you could distinguish them physically, but you couldn't have two clones using the same name on their badge as there'd be no way to tell them apart.   

Misanthrope

Quote from: Jedit on 19 February, 2011, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Misanthrope on 15 February, 2011, 05:13:20 PM
Judge Ocks.

Misanthrope, find yourself another Mega-City to be part of.

"Morph" was a familiar name for Judge Morphy.  Perfectly legit name, most famously belonging to the American chess world champion Paul Morphy.

Judge Giant is an odd one because his grandfather wasn't actually called Giant.  Technically he should have been Judge Clay.

I think he was called Ochs because the judge was as big as an...
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?