Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 for once no diminishing returns that sequels sometime are, but another great fun movie -some rude-ish bits but nothing too untoward.  And has some amusing lines "You shouldn't have killed my Mom and squished my Walkman." for one. And Rocket rules!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mattofthespurs

I do get the jump scare criticism though, it's something that's doing my head in with horror these days. I wish more directors had the guts to just put the scary thing on screen and let you be scared of it without jolting you with a loud noise and a jump cut. In those cases it's the sound and the cut that scares you before you even know what you're looking at. Way more effective for me is what I've always thought of as the 'quiet jump scare', where something might appear in frame or in the periphery and, without any smashy nonsense, your eye takes a moment to pick it out, them your brain takes a moment to process what you're looking at, and it's that brief moment where you feel the realization creeping up on you that is scarier than any traditional jump scare. 

Can't actually think of a good example to illustrate it off the top of my head but hopefully that makes sense and it's not just me!

[/quote]

Annabelle: Creation. Just saw this in a completely empty 200 seat cinema and there are several examples of the 'quiet' scare you are talking about in this movie, as well as plenty of the jump scares.
6/10

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 10 September, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 for once no diminishing returns that sequels sometime are, but another great fun movie -some rude-ish bits but nothing too untoward.  And has some amusing lines "You shouldn't have killed my Mom and squished my Walkman." for one. And Rocket rules!
Yup, re-watched Guardians 2 on blu last night. The "700 Jumps?!" scene is still an absolute laugh riot.

SIP

They could have improved Guardians 2 a lot of they'd just held back a little with all the characters laughing hysterically at their own jokes......all through the film. It was seriously over played.

Then, lose 10-15 minutes of the film, mostly from the final act. Also, dont kill your best character.

It would then have been a strong 7-8 out of 10, instead of the 6 that I think it is.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 September, 2017, 06:44:35 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 September, 2017, 03:48:00 PM
Way more effective for me is what I've always thought of as the 'quiet jump scare', where something might appear in frame or in the periphery and, without any smashy nonsense, your eye takes a moment to pick it out, them your brain takes a moment to process what you're looking at, and it's that brief moment where you feel the realization creeping up on you that is scarier than any traditional jump scare. 

Can't actually think of a good example to illustrate it off the top of my head but hopefully that makes sense and it's not just me!

Some of the stuff in BONE TOMAHAWK? And there's a great bit in THE DESCENT where you see one of the troglodytes in the background of a shot... not entirely sure what you've seen but it scares the bejeezus out of you. (Well, me, anyway).

Yeah that's exactly the sort of thing I mean! The Audition scene is a good example too. Or movies about hauntings where there'll be a figure in the room, or something passing by in the background that takes a moment to register. Something about that just really scares me in a properly scary way, rather than just a 'startled by a loud noise' sort of way.

If directors had the confidence to let the viewer register the scare themselves more often instead of using the music and editing to tell them they should be scared then these modern horrors would be way more effective.

All a taste thing obviously, everyone is scared by different things to results are sure to vary wildly!

Dandontdare

Kingsman: the secret service on C4 last night. I read the first book of this, which was OK but didn't make me want to read more, and had no real desire to see it when it came out. Turns out it was way better than I expected. If you can swallow the silly Bond-esque plot, the performances and action scenes were really well done - Colin Firth [spoiler]going kill-crazy and massacring a church full of people[/spoiler] was pretty awesome. I may even shell out to see the sequel rather than waiting for that to reach TV.

Smith

Silly Bond-esque plot is the whole point. ;)

JamesC

Star Trek The Motion Picture.

I watch this every few years when I'm in the mood. In some ways it's my favourite Trek film. It gets a bad rap for being boring but I think that's just because it's a bit slow and ponderous. It's not the goodies vs baddies story lots of people were wanting when it was released.
I guess it does drag a bit towards the end of the second half and certain scenes go on a bit too long (the Enterprise reveal takes about 5 minutes. I quite like it personally).
The whole thing is still visually impressive though. The Enterprise looks great and the main cast are still looking pretty fit and strong.
I wish they'd explored this story further. I can't believe Vger hasn't been connected to the Borg in a more meaningful way - you could easily hang another movie or two on that. Missed opportunity from the Next Gen lot if you ask me.

Anyway, very enjoyable. I think the original series movies are probably my favourite of all Trek iterations.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 September, 2017, 09:52:38 AM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 10 September, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
Yup, re-watched Guardians 2 on blu last night. The "700 Jumps?!" scene is still an absolute laugh riot.

Totally! But the beginning had me hooked with Mr Blue Sky playing against a interdimensional cosmic horror battle.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dandontdare

Quote from: JamesC on 11 September, 2017, 08:37:16 PM
I can't believe Vger hasn't been connected to the Borg in a more meaningful way

Shatner wrote a whole series of novels about Kirk in the TNG timeline that covered this - apparently it was the Borg that turned it from a simple probe into that world-destroying creature in ST:TMP - I forget why.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 September, 2017, 07:00:26 PM
Kingsman: the secret service on C4 last night. I read the first book of this, which was OK but didn't make me want to read more, and had no real desire to see it when it came out. Turns out it was way better than I expected. If you can swallow the silly Bond-esque plot, the performances and action scenes were really well done - Colin Firth [spoiler]going kill-crazy and massacring a church full of people[/spoiler] was pretty awesome. I may even shell out to see the sequel rather than waiting for that to reach TV.

First time I saw this I hated it. Then when the trailer first started showing for the sequel (about 2 months ago) I re-watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'll be making a trip to the flicks to see the sequel.

JamesC

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 September, 2017, 11:09:53 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 11 September, 2017, 08:37:16 PM
I can't believe Vger hasn't been connected to the Borg in a more meaningful way

Shatner wrote a whole series of novels about Kirk in the TNG timeline that covered this - apparently it was the Borg that turned it from a simple probe into that world-destroying creature in ST:TMP - I forget why.

Yeah I'd heard about the novels but I'd have liked to have seen something on film.
To my mind 'a world of living machines' doesn't sound much like Borg. They're cyborgs. I think the new life form that Vger creates when merging with the human Captain would make better sense as a Borg origin. Maybe making the original crew complicit in the Borgs' creation is a bit dark. Would've been cool to explore in First Contact though (anything would be better than the Borg queen).
It could've been good to see the machine world at the other end of the galaxy in Voyager.

Mattofthespurs

The Limehouse Golem.
Enjoyed this. Gruesome period drama with an excellent cast.
7.5/10

Rara Avis

I'm not a horror fan at the best of times so I'll be skipping 'It'.

I haven't been watching much stuff lately although I did go see 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' which I didn't enjoy. It's like they recycled Ryan R as Deadpool but made him good looking. Although there were a few LOL moments over all I think it might have been improved if they went full on dark comedy instead of criminal comedy caper. The movie has too much drama to be really funny and too funny to be taken serious.

The Dark Tower: I have not read the books so maybe that's a good thing. The movie is supposed to be a sequel and an adaption from what I gather and the confusion about the story they are trying to tell is evident. There was a good story to be told but it didn't come across on screen. I quite liked Idris Elba in it though and he had some great shooting scenes.

American Made: I love Tom Cruise so I don't think I can give an honest review of this. I really enjoyed it but it does feel like we've seen this movie before ..

The one thing I can wholeheartedly recommend is a documentary 'Winter on Fire' about the Orange Revolution in the Ukraine in 2014/2015. It's the best thing I've seen in quite some time.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Rara Avis on 13 September, 2017, 06:43:18 PM
There was a good story to be told but it didn't come across on screen. I quite liked Idris Elba in it though and he had some great shooting scenes.

Yeah, considering the backlash the film recieved* over his casting, I thought it was the strongest aspect of the whole thing. He's given virtually nothing to work with, and doesn't get a chance to really portray the character from the books, but his presence and delivery is spot-on.

*From racists.