Main Menu

Are we seeing the end of John Wagner writing Dredd?

Started by helm, 20 April, 2011, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Caliber

Exactly. Wagner walked away from 2000AD's Judge Dredd strips during the 1990s for quite some time, and the strip carried on smoothly without him (albeit not left in the most capable hands). Dredd will go down with 2000AD, but the other way around? Not sure. Who knows how many readers (most of them being in the 30-60 age group) will stick around when ALL the nostalgia-reinforcing strips of their youth are gone?
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Bat King

Due to cloning it is perfectly possible for Dredd to die when Wagner leaves and a clone to take up the name.

If well written it'd be a great story.  Personally I'd want the clone to be holding Dredd in his arms and tell the Meat Wagon crew "He isn't heavy, he's my brother."

I'd find it sad, yet acceptable.  Time moves in most 2000AD stories; I like that.  And time has moved in Dredd, he is old.  But with regen tech and general better Med care him being active at his age is believable to me.

But yeah, you can't kill the strip.  But you could kill Joe.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

W. R. Logan

You're right, I'd be one of those coming to my fellow boarders defence.
Now I see that we've all been far too cruel and have shown contempt where we should have shown compassion.
I can't take the guilt any more, oh shame is me.

Twat.

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: malkymac on 21 April, 2011, 01:50:24 PM
Dredd seems to age in real time so he can't have that long left anyway if he is pushing 70.

Well, if currently we're looking at working to seventy, then what would the retirement age be in a hundred years time? With all their technological/medical advances, Dredd might have another fifty years left till retirement!  :D

Bat King

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 23 April, 2011, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: malkymac on 21 April, 2011, 01:50:24 PM
Dredd seems to age in real time so he can't have that long left anyway if he is pushing 70.

Well, if currently we're looking at working to seventy, then what would the retirement age be in a hundred years time? With all their technological/medical advances, Dredd might have another fifty years left till retirement!  :D

Quite so, at 70 he is not over the hill.  I commented earlier that with rejuve technology etc he should be considered as being in very good conition still.  Maybe Rico (current one that is) might be a tad faster but Joe would still have the edge from experience.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

W. R. Logan

Who cares, how many Christmas' has Bruce Wayne celebrated and the Batman just continues along.
I dont care if the year continues to roll along or it just stops changing, as long as I get my fix of a comic character called Dredd I'm not really that bothered.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

strontium71

...because I hate you.

Emperor

Quote from: BPP on 23 April, 2011, 05:54:01 PM
We starting a sweepstakes on who 'enough' is?

I'll have the "none of the above" bet.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SmallBlueThing

Any small amount of understanding for your point of view i may have had, youve just completely thrown out the window with that rambling and nonsensical post. And hiding behind a hastily-invented name to do it.

Are you, in fact, Scott?

SBT

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Ok, I'll bite.

This thread has raised a few questions for me.

Who is Scott?
Who is this Enough person and why is he on his high horse?
Who ate all the pie?
Who is Number One?
Whoooooo are you? Who, who? Who, who?
Why does it always rain on me?
Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

I don't think Enough is Scott.  But I am intrigued!  Could he be CEH?

Quote from: Enough on 24 April, 2011, 02:33:42 PM
Would John support you in this struggle?

Well he was fast enough booting him from his Facebook page.

Bat King

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 23 April, 2011, 05:20:50 PM
Who cares, how many Christmas' has Bruce Wayne celebrated and the Batman just continues along.
I dont care if the year continues to roll along or it just stops changing, as long as I get my fix of a comic character called Dredd I'm not really that bothered.

Personally I like that time moves.

But as I've said, at 70 Joe Dredd isn't really old in the setting.  And being a clone, if replaced, once the early story arcs show the clone settling in it is business as usual. Judge Dredd can stay on the streets as long as 2000AD is in print and time can still continue.

Yet there is something fitting in Joe dying in Wagner's last story.  Or Carlos's for that matter.

Just an opinion, and I won't be troubled if they didn't do this.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Matt Timson

Internet anonymity.  Got to love it.

I've said some shit things to people on the internet over the years.  Sometimes I've apologised for it, sometimes not.  I've never hidden who I am while I'm doing it though.
Pffft...

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 April, 2011, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 23 April, 2011, 08:46:22 PM
Quote from: BPP on 23 April, 2011, 05:54:01 PM
We starting a sweepstakes on who 'enough' is?

I'll have the "none of the above" bet.

Any small amount of understanding for your point of view i may have had, youve just completely thrown out the window with that rambling and nonsensical post. And hiding behind a hastily-invented name to do it.

Are you, in fact, Scott?

SBT

Have to agree with Emperor. 'Enough' isn't reading to me as the Nestel fella.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.