Main Menu

2000AD Forum Sketch Comp #4: SPECIAL BOLT-01 EDITION

Started by Jim_Campbell, 08 May, 2021, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 May, 2021, 11:26:55 PM
Those sketches look great. Maybe you can still submit the story to Dogbreath (if it continues), and pay tribute in that way. Better late than never? Very nice.

You're very kind, unfortunately what little artistic ability I had has long since atrophied so the sketches will have to suffice!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 May, 2021, 10:27:37 PM
Wonderful Stront pieces all. Can I ask who Whistler is? I've read all of Alpha's collected adventures but don't recall him.

Bolt's long-running fan character. There are some early Whistler adventures online:

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=input&page=thrillviewer&choice=nutcase
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=input&page=thrillviewer&choice=headbag
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=input&page=thrillviewer&choice=baaadday
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=input&page=thrillviewer&choice=whistler6

He also cameoed at the end of Book III of The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, which must have made Bolt's week/month/year.

@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 May, 2021, 02:17:17 PM
He also cameoed at the end of Book III of The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, which must have made Bolt's week/month/year.

It did.  :)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

I think that and him actually being Kid Knee in SD fan film were his most prized things. The glee that radiated from him when he spoke about them was almost a palpable force.

Pete Wells

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 May, 2021, 11:56:00 AM
This is really lovely... Pete, reading through that I went "oh I'm not sure about this" to being in floods of tears in less than a minute.

Thanks Owen. It absolutely came from a place of love and even I wouldn't be flippant about the passing of someone we all hold so dear.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 May, 2021, 03:01:04 PM
I think that and him actually being Kid Knee in SD fan film were his most prized things. The glee that radiated from him when he spoke about them was almost a palpable force.

I remember him telling me to keep an eye out for him in it before the film at the 40th and the reaction of everyone when Kid Knee came on screen. The absolute joy on Bolts face.

Tomwe

I've not written anything about Dave yet. Beyond this forum I had no other interaction with him, but he was always very supportive of my drawings and that is an example of the kind of man he was. He was an internal organ of this group and we all struggle to get along without him. My heart goes out to his family and those who knew him best.

I didn't really know what to contribute drawing wise, but here's a quartet of post-it sketches as suggested by Jim.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 May, 2021, 11:25:00 AM
here's a quartet of post-it sketches as suggested by Jim.

Wonderful. Thank you. :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pete Wells on 12 May, 2021, 12:54:48 PM
I LOVE those Tomwe! No 2 is ace!

Tharg should immediately commission a Gronk series with Tomwe on art. :)

Funt Solo

I was inspired to write a script for the first time. I used the 2000 AD Script Book as a guide on what on earth to do.

Hope this link works, as I'm not used to sharing PDFs:

Strontium Dog: Stix & Stones
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mike Carroll

I want to write something for Dave, but at the moment I'm not in the right headspace -- but it takes a lot less effort do logos, and maybe this is appropriate given that I created quite a few for Dave's publications over the years!

-- Mike

Tomwe

Really great story Funt! Very professional. And that logo is

Barrington Boots

I'm hopeless at art and didn't know Bolt as well as you lot, but wanted to contribute something to this thread. Hope this is ok.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 May, 2021, 06:16:36 PM
I was inspired to write a script for the first time. I used the 2000 AD Script Book as a guide on what on earth to do.

Hope this link works, as I'm not used to sharing PDFs:

Strontium Dog: Stix & Stones

Works for me - downloaded and shall read later.