Main Menu

2000ad Gay Characters

Started by WoD, 21 April, 2010, 01:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Truman Kaput, author of the Slick Dickens masterpieces!

mogzilla

i was going to suggest lobster johnson on the premise he might go with robots of any "gender" but then i got myself confused and decided not to...oh,wait... ::)

Proudhuff

oh der big cucumber thread!use da happy stick johhmy! :P
DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

JUDGE CAL: liked his fair share of the Daystick.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tweak72 on 21 April, 2010, 06:50:09 PM
Pulger like Jo Pineapples are trasvestites not homosexual well again Joe is a machine so it might not really count as how can machines really have gender? Metalzoic accepted of course.

I thinking along the lines that all superheros or any comicbook creation that is male and wears tight clothing. Usaulley the one piece spandex suit or it might be tight clothing and very revealing. Accentuating muscule tone.& pointing out their erogenous zones.This coupled with the fact that alot of superheros that I know of are single sex duos. With the exception of a few.
Of course, all that I just said might have more to do with a celebration of youth , vigor, and a healthy body than just being gay/homosexual . Single sex duos, might have more to do with single sex bonding.

Apart from Johnny Alpha 's close ties to Wulf. Has anybody noticed that nearly every character is drawn/dressed that way. Clothing that compliments their trim, taut and terrific bodies.

Look at Slaine who went skyclad with his Red Branch breathen, and he never wore pants, until he was drawn by Glenn Fabry.

Sure, he's very popluar amongst the women folk, and had his fair share while focusing on one in particular. There was sus moment being shared by him and Ukko. During the course of Creeping Death. Maybe it was the strain of being isolated away from a regular woman or his beloved for so long or maybe it was just Ukko being a dirty little dwarf.

Looking back on it now, it did seem one sided and while Slaine was recovering from being bitten by the half-dead.

There is that other occasion when Slaine is stark naked, having his body painted by none other than Ukko. Thats really intimate, but I guesss it's based more on ritual, than sexual..

I guess Ukko's lust spills over to whomever happens to be close at hand at times, but if Slaine isn't straight, it's because he's warped and in a way he's always close to that other important woman in his life.

I don't think he is gay/homosexual and if I am admireing his physicque, it's all about the machine quotient, not the male quotient. No, I'm not saying that he is a droid, but referrrig to that non-sexual aspect in all of us that is likened to machinery.

All of thee above was intended to inform, and not offend.

The Adventurer

Quote from: mogzilla on 21 April, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
i was going to suggest lobster johnson on the premise he might go with robots of any "gender" but then i got myself confused and decided not to...oh,wait... ::)

Technophile. But yeah, he goes both ways regardless of genre-role of the machine he's... plugging in with.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Pete Wells

*Cough!* Lobster Random *Cough!*

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 22 April, 2010, 06:03:15 AM

I thinking along the lines that all superheros or any comicbook creation that is male and wears tight clothing. Usaulley the one piece spandex suit or it might be tight clothing and very revealing. Accentuating muscule tone.& pointing out their erogenous zones.This coupled with the fact that alot of superheros that I know of are single sex duos. With the exception of a few.
Of course, all that I just said might have more to do with a celebration of youth , vigor, and a healthy body than just being gay/homosexual . Single sex duos, might have more to do with single sex bonding.

Apart from Johnny Alpha 's close ties to Wulf. Has anybody noticed that nearly every character is drawn/dressed that way. Clothing that compliments their trim, taut and terrific bodies.

Look at Slaine who went skyclad with his Red Branch breathen, and he never wore pants, until he was drawn by Glenn Fabry.

Sure, he's very popluar amongst the women folk, and had his fair share while focusing on one in particular. There was sus moment being shared by him and Ukko. During the course of Creeping Death. Maybe it was the strain of being isolated away from a regular woman or his beloved for so long or maybe it was just Ukko being a dirty little dwarf.

Looking back on it now, it did seem one sided and while Slaine was recovering from being bitten by the half-dead.

There is that other occasion when Slaine is stark naked, having his body painted by none other than Ukko. Thats really intimate, but I guesss it's based more on ritual, than sexual..

I guess Ukko's lust spills over to whomever happens to be close at hand at times, but if Slaine isn't straight, it's because he's warped and in a way he's always close to that other important woman in his life.

I don't think he is gay/homosexual and if I am admireing his physicque, it's all about the machine quotient, not the male quotient. No, I'm not saying that he is a droid, but referrrig to that non-sexual aspect in all of us that is likened to machinery.

You're thinking about this way too much.

Tweak72

Quote from: Dog Deever on 21 April, 2010, 09:15:46 PM
Didn't Pulger only wear a dress as a disguise?

... At first, yes.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tweak72

Quote from: Cthulouis on 21 April, 2010, 08:53:25 PM
Quote from: Tweak72 on 21 April, 2010, 06:50:09 PM
how can machines really have gender?

These robots were built by humans, who applied genders to them. Hence some of the robots in ABC Warriors have stonking great big tits. Note that gender is not the same as sex, so the inability or otherwise of the robots to reproduce doesn't come into it.

It's even more complicated that that

From Wiki 'Gender'

Gender is the wide set of characteristics that are seen to distinguish between female and male entities, extending from one's biological sex to, in humans, one's social role or gender identity. As a word, it has more than one valid definition. In linguistics, it refers to characteristics of words. In ordinary speech, it is used interchangeably with "sex" to denote the condition of being male or female. In the social sciences, however, it refers specifically to socially constructed and institutionalized differences such as gender roles.[1] The World Health Organization (WHO), for example, uses "gender" to refer to "the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women".[2] People whose gender identity feels incongruent with femaleness or maleness sometimes refer to themselves as "intergender." Not all cultures adhere to a binary gender system. Some cultures have separate sets of gender-related social roles (distinct from those for men and women) for certain types of intergendered people, such as those covering the hijra of India and Pakistan.

If you want to read the whole artical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

From World Heath Organisation page 'What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?'

Sometimes it is hard to understand exactly what is meant by the term "gender", and how it differs from the closely related term "sex".

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

To put it another way:

"Male" and "female" are sex categories, while "masculine" and "feminine" are gender categories.

Aspects of sex will not vary substantially between different human societies, while aspects of gender may vary greatly.

Some examples of sex characteristics :

Women menstruate while men do not
Men have testicles while women do not
Women have developed breasts that are usually capable of lactating, while men have not
Men generally have more massive bones than women
Some examples of gender characteristics :

In the United States (and most other countries), women earn significantly less money than men for similar work
In Viet Nam, many more men than women smoke, as female smoking has not traditionally been considered appropriate
In Saudi Arabia men are allowed to drive cars while women are not
In most of the world, women do more housework than men

Page link http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/index.html

From Collins Pocket English Dictionary Colour Edition (5th printing)

Gender n 1 state of being male or female
2 Grammer classification of nouns in certain languages as masculine, feminine, or neuter.

No link as its a hard copy

Far-King English! So I am going to say you are right... But so am I.

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dog Deever on 21 April, 2010, 09:15:46 PM
Didn't Pulger only wear a dress as a disguise?

We've all used that excuse.

Mikey

There was that Volg in Savage wasn't there? Or am I confused?

Quote from: mogzilla on 21 April, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
i was going to suggest lobster johnson

Quote from: Pete Wells on 22 April, 2010, 07:41:57 AM
*Cough!* Lobster Random *Cough!*

Lobster Johnson has potential. He could have two giant wangers grafted on.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Garageman on 22 April, 2010, 08:15:52 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 22 April, 2010, 06:03:15 AM

You're thinking about this way too much.

Its odd reasoning really thinking tight clothes automatically means a character is gay because does this mean the same for women as well like Durham Red ?

What about Judge Anderson ?

Its hard to imagine Judge Dredd not wearing a tight fitting uniform and wearing something baggy instead and aesthetically it would look terrible and probably feel very uncomfortable as well.I think the gay factor is a side issue and not the main consideration here as its inevitable and i daresay its the same with female characters and the lesbian factor.

Its just the applying your thinking to males only that i dont really understand and its just the natural shape of the human body which everyone should have got over it by now.

It also makes the characters easier to draw as well and i find drawing loose fitting clothes quite difficult wheras drawing tight fitting clothes on a male or female character is really just drawing their bodies and adding a different texture to their skin to look like a layer of fabric or which is either shiny or matt like material so it must save artists a lot of time.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mikey

I think TS makes a fair enough point, even if he is being slightly tongue in cheek, and especially about superheroes. Ye know, same sex, tight clothes, hang around together after dark, perhaps hiding their true nature from loved ones - it fits a certain stereotype for gay men does it not? It certainly fits some of them there gays I know.

The stereotype for actual, real lesbians is surely baggy clothing and short hair is it not? I don't see how TS's observations infer anything about women characters meself.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mikey on 22 April, 2010, 04:28:52 PM
I think TS makes a fair enough point, even if he is being slightly tongue in cheek, and especially about superheroes. Ye know, same sex, tight clothes, hang around together after dark, perhaps hiding their true nature from loved ones - it fits a certain stereotype for gay men does it not? It certainly fits some of them there gays I know.

The stereotype for actual, real lesbians is surely baggy clothing and short hair is it not? I don't see how TS's observations infer anything about women characters meself.

M.

I didnt get the tongue in cheek aspect of the comment but perhaps they are all gay and they meet up and go cottaging or hang around on Clapham Common or cruise gay bars and clubs at night.I dont really follow the train of thought there and it all seems a bit schoolboyish speculating wether characters are gay or not and unless a writer confirms that a character is gay the thought doesnt enter my consciousness and i am sure that Pat Mills and the artists who have drawn Slaine werent consciously writing or drawing in a homosexual subtext into it.

TS's comment didnt infer anything about female characters as i brought them into the debate simply by applying the same thinking to female characters because i dont understand why his thinking regarding clothing applies to male characters only.

I must admit i dont know if Lesbians find fit women attractive in the same way that gays find fit men attractive but even saying that is an assumption and a stereotype in itself.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death