Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Harold Ramis who, amongst many other things, played Egon Spengler from Ghostbusters, died today.

He was always my favourite.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Mabs

Same here....

R.I.P.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

von Boom

Aww shite. That is really sad news about Ramis. RIP.

Frank

I was thinking about him just yesterday, because I remembered a BBC Arena documentary about the Coen brothers in the mid-nineties, during which they bemoaned the fact that cinemas and festivals only ever dedicate seasons to the work of directors like Bergman or Hitchcock. "I love the movies Harold Ramis makes" said one or the other of the Coens, "why isn't his body of work ever celebrated, and audiences encouraged to appreciate his films in that way?"

The work of folk who entertain us is never given the recognition afforded to stuff which is considered serious and worthy of awards. I suppose the fact Groundhog Day is seemingly on constant hard rotation on ITV4 every weekend is some kind of acknowledgement of the unique nature and quality of his work, but he contributed so much more, as a writer and as a director.

COMMANDO FORCES

Alice Herz-Sommer aged 110

She was the oldest known survivor of the Nazi Holocaust and spent the last 25+ years living in London playing her piano. I'm sure many will hear about this lady soon, as a documentary about her is nominated for an Oscar The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 24 February, 2014, 06:14:32 PM
The work of folk who entertain us is never given the recognition afforded to stuff which is considered serious and worthy of awards.

Aye, one of the true greats.  I think Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day can hold their own against the best of cinema, and there's very many laughs to be had in National Lampoon's Vacation and Animal House, and who knows, maybe even Caddyshack.  Very sad to hear of his passing, but glad to see he appears to have made it up with Murray before the end.

ZenArcade

Was busy all day, only heard Alice Herz-Sommer has passed away. A fine and graceful woman. SheElohim Yevarach Otha.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Sorry to hear that Harold Ramis has passed. A really great and underrated talent on many fronts.

I, Cosh

Alain Resnais, director of the supremely irritating Last Year at Marienbad.
We never really die.

A.Cow

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 March, 2014, 01:37:39 PM
Alain Resnais, director of the supremely irritating Last Year at Marienbad.

Wrong link; Marienbad is definitely an endurance test but it's based on the work of Robbe-Grillet, whose books are even more of an endurance test.

johnnystress

A friend passed away unexpectedly on Saturday night. He was a huge Dredd fan , he had the uniform and regularly drove his missus nuts rewatching the film for the umpteenth time. I had many a drunken conversation about comics , movies, music, all that nerd stuff.

A true gentleman and a nicer guy you couldn't meet

Here is the tribute the staff at the Mezz bar in Dublin put up for him

RIP Paul

judda fett

Sad to hear johnnystress, sorry for your loss.

Mabs

Really saddened to hear of your loss, Johnny.

R.I.P Paul.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Steve Green

I didn't know Paul, but there's a big tribute thread on the Brit-cit Judges Facebook page.

My condolences to Paul's friends and family.

johnnystress

That's nice to hear