Main Menu

Ahh! Yes!! An idiot signing in!!!

Started by Dragonfly, 17 July, 2013, 02:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Okay, after I don't know how long, I think I've finally sussed it. I can't remember when I joined this forum, might be a year ago might be longer, I can't remember! I'm an old man now, in my forties, and can't be expected to remember anything that happened more than a week ago!
When I originally joined I tried posting but couldn't find out how to do it, didn't realise I needed to go into the newbie section first. Had no joy and thought 'bollocks to this' and gave up. I have continually 'sat' in on various discussions and have received both enjoyment and edification on various topics.
Then one day I decided to look in on the 'Welcome to the board' bit and finally the penny dropped that I should be posting here first. Really, a welcome e-mail saying 'You've got to post in this section first, idiot!!' would have been appreciated! What you can deduce from this is that I am old, have a bad memory and give up easily!
Anyway, I'm hardly a newbie to the prog itself, having read from issue one up to one I can no longer recall (see comment above about being forty odd (nearly fifty now)). I can chart my life from 1977 up to the mid nineties by which prog was out at the time. As you can guess, I, like many others, gave up in the nineties. But it wasn't through choice! Money was tight and toothy was a bit rubbish compared to how it had been, but the deciding factor was a losing all my issues that I had built up for nearly two decades. All my progs were stored at my mums while I was off being married somewhere. Then my mum passed away from cancer and the council cleared her flat and I lost everything. I had everything as well, all the issues, the annuals, Starlord, the specials, Crises, Revolver etc. I know I should have taken them myself earlier but was living in a tiny flat with my wife and had no room for it all. I didn't have the heart to carry on reading after that, and as I said, the prog wasn't at it's best so I learned to live with it.
I have been pulled back from time to time and am now back in the fold full time (too many uses of the word time there). As it turned out I didn't quite loose everything, for some reason I still have all the Starlord issues, two volumes of the VC's trade paperbacks which were issued in the late eighties by Titan, the Bisley drawn Batman/Dredd crossover 'Judgement on Gotham' and the metal badge which came with prog 178 (had to look that up on the Barney website, again, see the comment on my memory above).
All is not bad news however! I am now no longer married and have amassed somewhere in the region of 100 2000ad graphic novels with 7 on their way in the post!! Yes I am now addicted bad, just the way I used to be.
I now have a girlfriend who encourages me in my 2000ad addiction, I'm not kidding! My ex-wife used to be a bit sniffy towards comics but not my new girl. If we are in a bookshop and I'm browsing the trades she will say something like "Have you got that one? Get it, we can afford it!". Seriously! What planet has she beamed down from? She also likes rock, goth and metal music which suits me just fine.
Actually what I haven't told her is that I have spent £100 pre-ording the Zenith collection, hopefully it won't have the price on it when it arrives as that might be a £100 too much!
My favourite comics (apart from 2000ad) are: Cerebus, Love and Rockets, Furry Freak Brothers, Tintin, Luther Arkwright (anything by Talbot actually), Bone, From Hell (definitely anything by Moore, he and 2000ad are the only reason I still read comics at this advanced age), Tomb of Dracula, Master Of Kung Fu, any Conan from the seventies and a smattering of Sixties marvels (from the time I used to read Mighty World Of Marvel and various UK marvel mags), Invisibles and Doom Patrol (actually my favourite Morrison is Flex Mentallo). I also still have a complete collection of the Axa albums from First Comics in the eighties which I am pretty fond off (because of the story and art, nothing to do with the semi-naked blonde which appears throughout, honest!)
My favourite bands are The Sisters Of Mercy, Dead Can Dance, Hawkwind, Fields Of The Nephilim, Motorhead, Future Sound Of London, and others!!!
Anyway hope this earns me the right to post on other areas of the forum, not that I will that often but it is nice to think that I can if I want to! Plus it will be nice to have an avatar of my own! Please look kindly upon me Mods!
Yours, Gavin the born again Dredd head.

Dragonfly

My First post! And I'm Mek-Quakes leftovers. God that makes me happy. :lol:

Dragonfly

Also, forgot to mention my favourite 2000ad stories are, Halo Jones book 3, Slaine the Horned God and Judge Dredd Lives. My favourite character is Nemesis, yeah I'm fairly old school when it comes to thrill power. That will change as I become acquainted with the newer stuff.
Actually that brings me to another point, 2000ad is pretty hard to find these days. There was a time when it was in every Smiths and newsagents. Now I can't see it anywhere. The last prog I saw was 1804. I have now given up trying to buy physical copies and have gone digital, and I love it! I was a bit dubious about just downloading the issues. Being an old git I like old git things and want to hold a paper object in my hands, but after downloading a few issues I have seen the light and am now converted. Halleluiah!! I have started at 1800 and am working my up. I was going to ask about the possibility of older issues being available for download but that has been answered in the negative by one of the mods on another section. I am both saddened and glad at this. Saddened because I can't download all those great issues I lost and glad because it won't financially cripple me!!!

Dandontdare

Welcome gavingavin (so good they named him twice). That girlfriend sounds like a gem!

once you've posted a few times in various general threads (there are only a few that are blocked to newbies), the mods will confirm that you're not a spambot or a Futsie and fully activate your account.

Dragonfly

I'm pretty chuffed that I wasn't ejected after the recent forum purge. Saw that thread and thought 'Oh well, that's me gone then!'

Dragonfly

Actually I was only named once but the name Gavin was already taken so to resort to the old double name thingie. The girlfriend is a bit of a find! Wish I had met here twenty years ago!
Thanks for the welcome.

Montynero

Hi Gavin. You've got great taste.

It's a test to deter numpties, , figuring out how to post here. Congratulations on passing.

Cheers

Bolt-01

Yeah, I'm sure you'll settle in and find your feet.

COMMANDO FORCES

Proudhuff

aye indeed welcome, there's a fair bit o mental metal fans around these parts, I'm sure they will make themselves known
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: gavingavin on 17 July, 2013, 02:58:44 PM
Okay, after I don't know how long, I think I've finally sussed it. When I originally joined I tried posting but couldn't find out how to do it, didn't realise I needed to go into the newbie section first. Had no joy and thought 'bollocks to this' and gave up. I have continually 'sat' in on various discussions and have received both enjoyment and edification on various topics. Then one day I decided to look in on the 'Welcome to the board' bit and finally the penny dropped that I should be posting here first.

You can post in most of the Off-Topic section and some of the News and General sections too, gavin. When you're reading a thread you'll notice that it's got three blue square boxes at the top and bottom of the page marked PRINT, NOTIFY, and MARK UNREAD - if it's a section you're able to post in it'll have a red box marked REPLY alongside them (as this thread will).

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard Gavin. Glad to see a man of such good comics taste joining in.

Have fun.

Bobblehead

Howdy!
Anyone with such a good taste in music as yourself is always welcome here :D
Your new girlfriend sounds like the perfect woman,or 'a rare collectable' if you will   :P

Simon Beigh

Quote from: gavingavin on 17 July, 2013, 03:26:27 PM
I'm pretty chuffed that I wasn't ejected after the recent forum purge. Saw that thread and thought 'Oh well, that's me gone then!'

Only talk about "The Great Purge" in hushed whispers... Our fears now have a name...

Welcome, BTW, congratulations on passing the test and if a mod has a few beers on a Friday night (usually Richmond to be fair) then you'll be released from the shackles of "New Arrival" :)

Proudhuff

Quote from: SimeonB on 18 July, 2013, 01:27:11 PM
Quote from: gavingavin on 17 July, 2013, 03:26:27 PM

Only talk about "The Great Purge" in hushed whispers... Our fears now have a name...

Welcome, BTW, congratulations on passing the test and if a mod has a few beers on a Friday night (usually Richmond to be fair) then you'll be released from the shackles of "New Arrival" :)

Two words: Thin Ice
DDT did a job on me