Main Menu

Rebellion to boost size of new Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition

Started by IndigoPrime, 02 August, 2023, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Due to unprecedented fan demand, Rebellion is pleased to announce that the forthcoming release of Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition will be bigger AND better – printed larger than any previous edition of the landmark 2000 AD series!

Both paperback and hardcovers editions of the five-volume Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition series will now be published in a large-format size measuring 307 x 231mm (as opposed to 276 × 210mm).

Long regarded as one of the crown-jewel epics from the pages of 2000 AD, this new series of paperbacks of Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill's Nemesis the Warlock is being published alongside gorgeous hardcover editions with stunningly designed new covers – available only from the 2000 AD webshop – that present O'Neill's groundbreaking and mind-bending art in all its glory.

After considering feedback from fans, Rebellion has boosted the dimensions of the collections to an over-sized format, making it larger than any previous edition.

And, for the first time, these editions will properly reprint the Nemesis the Warlock stories in their original publication order. They will also feature colour pages, as well as new high-resolution scans of the original stories, and all the covers and pin-ups from each era.

The first 176-page volume is on sale from 5 December, with pre-orders open now from 2000 AD and online retailers. Copies will be available to order through Diamond's Previews catalogue.

The first volume will feature the stories 'Terror Tube', 'Killer Watt', 'The Sword Sinister', 'The World of Termight', 'Alien Alliance', 'Secret Life of Blitzspear', and 'A Day in the Death of Torquemada' from 2000 AD, as well as development sketches showing the evolution of the cloven-hoofed alien freedom fighter Nemesis and his living spaceship, the Blitzspear – plus a panel from 1981 drawn by series creator O'Neill that acted as an apology to readers when the last few episodes of 'The World of Termight' were late.

Burning with iconoclastic fire and wild invention, Nemesis the Warlock is the satirical sci-fi space opera that helped place 2000 AD as the true cutting edge, and catapulted Mills and O'Neill into the comics stratosphere.

Termight is the ruling planet of a cruel galactic empire, an empire led by the diabolically evil Torquemada, a twisted human despot intent on purging all alien life from the galaxy and punishing the deviants. His motto: Be pure! Be vigilant! Behave!

But there is rebellion and resistance to his rule in the form of a devilish-looking alien warlock called Nemesis, who represents everything that Torquemada hates and fears. Together Nemesis and Torquemada are locked in a duel which will affect the fate of humanity and each of them on a personal level as their conflict spans time and space!

The first volume of Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition is out on 5 December from all good book and comic book stores, with a digital edition and the hardcover edition available exclusively from 2000AD.com.

JohnW

When they first announced this I thought, Very pretty, but I'm happy with my old but pin-sharp Titan reprint from the eighties.
But they announce that there's an extra 31 millimetres and suddenly I'm gnawing my knuckles with barely suppressed lust and wondering where I'll find space for the first couple of volumes at least.

Damn you, Rebellion, with your seductive 31mm!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

Quote from: JohnW on 02 August, 2023, 03:49:47 PMWhen they first announced this I thought, Very pretty, but I'm happy with my old but pin-sharp Titan reprint from the eighties.
But they announce that there's an extra 31 millimetres and suddenly I'm gnawing my knuckles with barely suppressed lust and wondering where I'll find space for the first couple of volumes at least.

Damn you, Rebellion, with your seductive 31mm!

Thanks, I don't have to write a similar post now.

IndigoPrime

Don't forget "They will also feature colour pages, as well as new high-resolution scans of the original stories, and all the covers and pin-ups from each era".

I'm wondering whether I'm going to end up buying all of Nemesis for about the millionth time. Sigh.

karlos

Just pre-order it,dammit!

You know you want it!

They look...glorious

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Max Headroom

Sounds absolutely grand!! I just wish more 2000ad stories would be given this special treatment. There are so many books that totally deserve it.

Max Headroom

Will these books be the size of the Apex Editions, or slightly smaller?

IndigoPrime

Smaller than Apex editions. More like the old Titan reprints, I imagine.

Tu-plang

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 August, 2023, 08:56:19 PMSmaller than Apex editions. More like the old Titan reprints, I imagine.

Much bigger, actually! That's a Titan in the middle:

Dash Decent

Does this get us to proper prog dimensions yet?

It's good to see Rebellion are willing to work on ensuring "definitive" means definitive.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 03 August, 2023, 05:28:30 AMDoes this get us to proper prog dimensions yet?

It's good to see Rebellion are willing to work on ensuring "definitive" means definitive.

I'm just about to begin work so can't check, but weren't Titan around the usual prog dimensions in the 1980s?

Max Headroom

hellscrape

I know I'm just a dirty yank, but this sounds like it's just over one foot (12 inches tall) tall by 9 inches wide. That's a hefty book! But as I found online, the Apex Editions (the Bolland one, at least) are 19 inches tall and 15 inches wide. So, definitely much smaller than the luxurious Apex editions, but still a princely book.

Having just read through my Heresies HC recently, it pains me to say this but I'm going to sit these editions out. I am not sure if the reproduction clarity will be better than the Titan editions, and I can (sigh) live without the return of color to some of the pages.

TL;DR - I'll be buying these on ebay once they are out of print, as I usually do.