Main Menu

Comic Relief

Started by JamesC, 16 March, 2013, 12:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Yes I donated some money - and so should you.

The thing I struggle with is that the funny bits aren't funny. I know they have to do the heart wrenching films but the comedy should be able to breath a bit.
Literally every comedy clip had a 'donate now' line stuck in every 30 seconds. Freddie Mercury didn't sing 'Mama, I just donated some money to Ethiopia' in the middle of Live Aid.
I'm sure more people would watch, and donate, if they knew they were going to get a rollicking comedy show without all the preachy bits.

I really appreciate the sentiment and the goal of the evening but, fuck me, the comedy is shit and One Direction's version of 'One Way Or Another' makes me want to murder some record company executives.

COMMANDO FORCES

That's why I record it and watch it at my leisure. Obviously I fast forward through all the sad bits and just watch the sketches.
This is not to say I don't donate, I donate to numerous causes throughout the year!

Zarjazzer

My office raised £750 with noms and other stuff for sale.So good for the organisers. I had ten chocolate yummy, things. I didn't eat them all though. :|
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

ChickenStu

The thing is, Comic Relief was absolutely amazing last time. What made it amazing was Chris Moyles and Dave Vitty doing the world's longest ever radio show. The goal was to reach £500,000, but they ended up raising £3Million. They broadcast straight for three days or something and I tell you it was absolutely amazing to listen to. We had every radio on in every room in the house!

That's what this year's was missing. Something like that which bought the whole nation together. What Moyles and Vitty did was absolutely remarkable.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

I, Cosh

Don't think I've ever watched Comic Relief since I was old enough to have my own telly and I find the way it invades all other BBC programming with painful comedy/celebrity episodes for weeks on either side immensely irritating.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I find both this and Children in Need to be self-indulgent pap. I'm all for donating for charity (I do, by direct debit) and I'm all for raising awareness of the poverty and suffering that surrounds us. It brings clarity and focus to my "problems." But, both are exercises in smugness that feed the egos of those involved.
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 March, 2013, 01:46:30 PM
Don't think I've ever watched Comic Relief since I was old enough to have my own telly and I find the way it invades all other BBC programming with painful comedy/celebrity episodes for weeks on either side immensely irritating.

First world problems!  ;) I don't want to watch it so I don't. Except any good clips on youtube.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 16 March, 2013, 02:18:04 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 16 March, 2013, 01:46:30 PM
First world problems;) I don't want to watch it so I don't. Except any good clips on youtube.
Aye. They should start a charity for smug middle class tossers with an inflated opinion of their own intellect like me who get shirty when the questions on Only Connect are dumbed down for a week.
We never really die.

Spikes

But where else would you see Babs receiving an 'Edgar'?  Even Justice can be charitable.

Tiplodocus

Interesting bit in the David Tennant bit was him saying that the majority of people that watch don't donate.

Which at first I couldn't quite believe but then thought of my track record so maybe it is true.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

Quote from: ChickenStu on 16 March, 2013, 01:42:18 PM
The thing is, Comic Relief was absolutely amazing last time. What made it amazing was Chris Moyles and Dave Vitty doing the world's longest ever radio show. The goal was to reach £500,000, but they ended up raising £3Million. They broadcast straight for three days or something and I tell you it was absolutely amazing to listen to. We had every radio on in every room in the house! That's what this year's was missing. Something like that which bought the whole nation together. What Moyles and Vitty did was absolutely remarkable.

Do you do those talking head inserts in Charlie Brooker's shows, Stu? You've got a similar tone.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sauchie on 17 March, 2013, 07:29:25 PM
Quote from: ChickenStu on 16 March, 2013, 01:42:18 PM
The thing is, Comic Relief was absolutely amazing last time. What made it amazing was Chris Moyles and Dave Vitty doing the world's longest ever radio show. The goal was to reach £500,000, but they ended up raising £3Million. They broadcast straight for three days or something and I tell you it was absolutely amazing to listen to. We had every radio on in every room in the house! That's what this year's was missing. Something like that which bought the whole nation together. What Moyles and Vitty did was absolutely remarkable.

Do you do those talking head inserts in Charlie Brooker's shows, Stu? You've got a similar tone.

Barry Shitpeas!

Spikes

If your looking to salve your conscience then you could do no worse than to buy this.

(btw - never having read this, is this worth tracking down?)

Goaty

Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 March, 2013, 07:57:13 PM
If your looking to salve your conscience then you could do no worse than to buy this.

(btw - never having read this, is this worth tracking down?)

WTF! I never see much of RND or CIN on TV, as they are lacked in poor subtitles! And I been doing donate to charities every year.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 March, 2013, 07:57:13 PM
If your looking to salve your conscience then you could do no worse than to buy this.  (btw - never having read this, is this worth tracking down?)

Not really, but at least I know now that if I ever need to make £3.20 in a hurry I have options other than blowing truckers at service stations.