Main Menu

The Scream Comic Files

Started by repoman, 21 April, 2020, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

Having almost finished the Judge Death website I've been working on, I decided that Scream! needs an updated website in light of all the recent specials and some of the other info out there from podcasts and interviews.  Also, there's a bunch of info from It's Ghastly that would fit in well too.

So I've set up www.screamcomic.co.uk and have made a start on it.

Fun fact:  Issue 5 came out 36 years ago today.

It's a bit bare at the moment but keep an eye on it and if anyone has any juicy info about Scream! that I should include, please let me know.  As with The Judge Death Files I just want a really good resource.

Obviously, respect due to Back From The Depths for doing this first.  I'm going with a different vibe for my site (and I won't be including full scans as I don't want to break any copyright rules) and hopefully my site will end up being a useful resource for fans.

Greg M.

Good luck with the site - Scream! is my favourite comic ever. (Sorry, 2000AD!)

Colin YNWA

Wow this is excellent and its going to be superb when you get the chance to finish it.

Not sure if you have this planned and its easy for me to say as I'm not doing the work but are you plannign to put reference to were these various stories can be found in reprint. So much of this wonderful stuff is readily avialable via Hibernia and Rebellion - in various places) seems a shame not to drive folks to it.

sheridan

I'd suggest putting a little about the creators (though maybe that's not what you're going for?)

I didn't manage to get a copy of Scream! 1 when it was published - all sold out where I lived :-(  Managed to pick up a copy at a later date though.

repoman

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 April, 2020, 10:35:05 AM
Wow this is excellent and its going to be superb when you get the chance to finish it.

Not sure if you have this planned and its easy for me to say as I'm not doing the work but are you plannign to put reference to were these various stories can be found in reprint. So much of this wonderful stuff is readily avialable via Hibernia and Rebellion - in various places) seems a shame not to drive folks to it.

Hey Colin.  I'm deffo up for referencing all the modern stuff and any rare stuff.  I want this to be complete.  I even bought a copy of a Best of Eagle Thirteenth Floor compilation on eBay that I'll scan bits of.

I'll deffo link to anything current that is purchasable. 

ta!

repoman

Quote from: sheridan on 21 April, 2020, 10:44:53 AM
I'd suggest putting a little about the creators (though maybe that's not what you're going for?)

Definitely will.  My plan of action is to get the 15 issues written up.  Then the specials.  Then dive into the stories themselves talking about the creators there.  I'm going to do a deep dive into the 13th Floor stuff. 

And then I'll get into the modern stuff, It's Ghastly.

Will probably have a history page where I compile any info from interviews/podcasts etc.

Richard

This is a great idea for a project, good luck with it!

Tjm86

Aye, looks nice.  I would strongly recommend Hibernia's fantastic little volume on the comic.  As with all their output it is superb and incredibly informative.  You've mentioned The Best of Eagle compilation but don't forget that Rebellion has done the first volume of the Complete 13th Floor with the 2nd due out later this year.  Then there is Monster which has had a GN.  There is also stuff that carried over into Eagle when Scream folded and of course the new Specials from Rebellion.

repoman

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 April, 2020, 10:05:58 AM
Aye, looks nice.  I would strongly recommend Hibernia's fantastic little volume on the comic.  As with all their output it is superb and incredibly informative.  You've mentioned The Best of Eagle compilation but don't forget that Rebellion has done the first volume of the Complete 13th Floor with the 2nd due out later this year.  Then there is Monster which has had a GN.  There is also stuff that carried over into Eagle when Scream folded and of course the new Specials from Rebellion.

Cheers, Tjm.

I've written up 1-15 now and started on a Buyer's Guide which covers everything up to and including the Eagle days.

I'll do the Holiday Specials next and then will get into the Hibernia stuff.  Annoyingly my collection is in storage right now as I'm in the process of buying a house, so I can't get at it to do scans or check content.  I've got It's Ghastly there too but I also bought a digital copy from David so that's all good.

Colin YNWA

Wow that buyers guide is really good and the type of thing I think a lot of comics would benefit form. Is there a similar thing anywhere for 2000ad I wonder. I know we had one here many moons ago but suspect that's a little out of date now.

repoman

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 April, 2020, 10:16:31 AM
Wow that buyers guide is really good and the type of thing I think a lot of comics would benefit form. Is there a similar thing anywhere for 2000ad I wonder. I know we had one here many moons ago but suspect that's a little out of date now.

Thanks, man.  Good to hear as I don't really know what I'm doing and am winging this a lot.  I'm just writing what I'd want to see.  Bit like I did with the Judge Death site.

It's a bit easier with Scream I guess because there's only a limited number of issues, specials and reprints.

I've got to track down the US reprint material too as well.

repoman

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 April, 2020, 02:19:52 PM
Link shared on the Back From The Depths Facebook page.

Thanks, mate. 

Yeah I'm not on FB properly these days.

Started writing up the holiday specials.  They're as disappointing as I remember.

sheridan

There have been in the past, but I don't know how out-of-date they'd be now (if they still exist in any form).  There's a lot of difficulties involved there - would you include foreign editions?  Reprints?  Domestic or overseas reprints?  I looked in to it a bit when I started my prog slog (because it's including all original spin-offs - apart from those which would be almost impossible to get without spending huge amounts of money, like the phone cards).

repoman

Quote from: sheridan on 29 April, 2020, 12:18:21 PM

There have been in the past, but I don't know how out-of-date they'd be now (if they still exist in any form).  There's a lot of difficulties involved there - would you include foreign editions?  Reprints?  Domestic or overseas reprints?  I looked in to it a bit when I started my prog slog (because it's including all original spin-offs - apart from those which would be almost impossible to get without spending huge amounts of money, like the phone cards).

Just figuring out all the Judge Death stuff was a proper task!  Let alone figuring out values for stuff.  A full 2000AD buyer's guide would be a real project!

I've completed writing up all five Scream specials now.  I'm onto the Eagle crossover stuff now.

The Hibernia reprints are going to be impossible to price up as they never seem to come up for sale on eBay so I've no idea if they're worth like 10p or a lot more.