Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

Does anyone know anything about protectionism? Salmond says we're going to be more like Norway, rather than Iceland or Ireland. So, assuming he's right,  I'm trying to understand more about how that country actually works. One thing I notice is everything is 4 times the price it is in the rest of the Europe. A pint is £8.60. Newspapers are £3 etc. Obviously salaries are higher in the same ratio. But what is it that's caused such inflation? And how on earth do you grow manufacturing, and tourism - cornerstones of our economy - when costs are four times what they are in all the neighbouring countries?

It's of particular interest to me, because I generally get paid by American or UK companies. So the thought of that being worth four times less than it is now, as prices around me rise, is a matter of some interest.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 10 September, 2014, 09:00:51 AM
The Republic of Ireland's had an open border with the UK for 90 years, even through the Troubles.

As I mentioned above, Ireland has an exemption from Schengen that won't be available to Scotland.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

At least we won't have to sit through the Scottish football results.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JamesC

I have a feeling that someone's going to get an egg thrown at them today.

8-Ball

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 September, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Is this the start of the Irn-Bru Curtain?

I'm laughing too hard to be offended. :lol:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 10 September, 2014, 09:56:48 AM
I have a feeling that someone's going to get an egg thrown at them today

Because we dinnae huv any o' the traditional fruit or vegetables tae throw at them? Racist.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Banners on 10 September, 2014, 09:50:46 AM
At least we won't have to sit through the Scottish football results.
Ha! Don't you just turn over after the Conference North scores like everyone else?
We never really die.

Stan

It sounds like you have intimate knowledge of this impending attack.

Frank

Quote from: Stan on 10 September, 2014, 10:40:34 AM

It sounds like you have intimate knowledge of this impending attack.

James lives in Alan Partridge country; he'd need a strong throwing arm to score a direct hit on Cameron, Clegg, or Miliband from there. Egg throwing has become a motif of the campaign, so it's not a risky bet we're going to see albumen dripping from someone's nose before the day is done.

Professor Bear

Conspiracy Theory time: Japan has been without nuclear power for over a year now thanks to universal public distrust after the Fukishima meltdown, becoming an ongoing advertisement (that you don't hear a great deal about, admittedly) for the feasibility of developed nations using renewable and non-nuclear power sources - because if one of the most energy-hungry nations in the world can get by just fine without nuclear power, so might everyone else.
The conspiracy theory element is this: for obvious reasons the nuclear lobby does not have much interest in this situation continuing and has given Japan's conservative PM his marching orders - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/japan-restart-nuclear-reactors-fukushima

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

Can we vote for an independant Yorkshire next? We'll get by alright without all you other buggers.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Spaceghost on 10 September, 2014, 11:34:24 AM
Can we vote for an independant Yorkshire next? We'll get by alright without all you other buggers.

As long you make sure Geoff-fucking-Boycott doesn't do Test Match Special any more...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.