Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tordelback on 17 February, 2016, 07:06:17 PM
I haven't crunched any numbers here, but surely those figures lack a vital piece of information: demographics. Your current population is far older than it was only a few decades ago, so you would expect far more deaths: that the death rate has remained roughly constant despite an ageing population probably represents a significant improvement.

Absolutely.

However, it took me long enough to gather all those numbers together as it is (the ONS website isn't the easiest thing to navigate and use) - I'm not going to start trying to break them down or I'll end up loopy. And possibly drunk.

In the most basic terms, as the population rises and the percentage of deaths stays roughly the same, that has to indicate an overall improvement.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 February, 2016, 07:09:44 PM
I'd expect the Office for National Statistics, whose numbers these are, to be more proficient at statistical adjustments than I am.

Heh! Wasn't arguing against the recent shameful reversal, instead noting that a constant rate of death in an ageing population reflects a far greater trend towards improving health than the bald percentage in Shark's numbers might suggest. And like both of you, I'm inclined to leave more complex analysis than that to the professionals.

JPMaybe

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 February, 2016, 05:27:57 PM

I decided to have a look at the figures myself.

The article specifically states it's the figure for England and Wales. And where did you get these figures?  Googling "Deaths Registered in England and Wales [Year]" gets a page like this, which gives a figure of 501,424 deaths in 2014. So the figure in the article is correct and it's a fucking huge increase.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Professor Bear

Those deaths are the result of Labour mismanagement of the economy finally catching up with the population.  Things will improve now that doctors will be working more hours, more days a week, and for less money.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Ollamh Iompróidh on 17 February, 2016, 09:49:31 PM
Those deaths are the result of Labour mismanagement of the economy finally catching up with the population.  Things will improve now that doctors will be working more hours, more days a week, and for less money.
Now that you don't get your death certificate free on the NHS the number of scroungers claiming them is bound to dry up.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Lazy bastards will be wanting their own private coffins next. And who's going to be paying for the crem-gas, eh? Bloody selfish swines, dying all over the place without permission. Bring back the death penalty for 'em, I say!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

So Cameron's negotiated deal with Europe consists of less tax credits for some immigrants and, most importantly, less banking regulation. (Damn banking regulation, ruining our economy).  The government is in disarray, corbyn is probably to blame and Malcolm Rifkin is in tv reminiscing about Thatcher whilst dressed like a spy.

Referendum is go! Initiate Project Fear Mark 2! Activate the Farage-bot!

COMMANDO FORCES

I hope you all saw Channel 4 news tonight, as I was on in Judge uniform, talking politics.

Professor Bear

"In the interests of balance here on Channel 4, here's leftwing comics character Judge Dredd to give his opinion."

COMMANDO FORCES

I finally saw it. Damn, I didn't say send a couple of TAD's into Europe, I must be slacking!

Colin YNWA

Oh dear the media biase has got out of hand already. Clear reference to DC so where the balance for Marvel?

Tjm86

And of course the young lady in the black latex was definitely given so much time to air her views because of the strength of her arguments.  :o

IndigoPrime

Mm.

As for 'corruption' in Europe, I don't see things being better here. If anything, EU regulations have stifled a lot of sell-offs and hideous decisions, but there you go.

It'll be interesting tonight to see what Boris decides is best for Boris and the future of Boris, given that a lot of people will follow his lead. (My guess is he'll campaign to leave, which will obliterate DC/GO and Goldsmith, but give Boris a run at a very senior cabinet post on before 2020. But, hey, screw London, which will be hit hard.)

Old Tankie

It won't matter what Boris  does "better the devil you know"  will keep the UK in the EU.