Main Menu

Harlem Heroes / Inferno Query

Started by chris_askham, 14 July, 2012, 10:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

Hoping that someone can help me out with this, as my mind isn't clear on the story any more and I no longer have the progs to check for myself -

How did Artie Gruber meet his end in Inferno, and did he ever return after?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Steve Green

He was set on fire (again), and plummeted into the harbour/sea... a duplicate was built by Clay that abducted him but that wasn't the real Gruber - he didn't turn up again in Inferno.

He did turn up in that other Harlem Heroes story, but I can barely remember anything about it, and it wasn't well received.

Syne

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 July, 2012, 10:56:43 PM
He was set on fire (again), and plummeted into the harbour/sea... a duplicate was built by Clay that abducted him but that wasn't the real Gruber - he didn't turn up again in Inferno.

He did turn up in that other Harlem Heroes story, but I can barely remember anything about it, and it wasn't well received.

I've always assumed that was a "reboot" of the character, just as the second Harlem Heroes had no direct connection to the original aeroball team. His bionics looked a lot less extreme than the original, he was just a generic hardass hitman type with robo-eyes. A lot of episodes were spent emphasising how badass and indestructible he was - including one brutal scene where he beat up a stewardess - and then [spoiler]he got killed quite easily with a micro limpet mine.[/spoiler]

Not sure why I put that last bit in spoilers, as there's really nothing good about that story to spoil.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 July, 2012, 10:56:43 PM

The only entertainment value in that reboot was watching a series of artists half-heartedly fire out a few instalments then desperately pass the art chores to someone else, like a baby that's just filled its nappy. Siku's pages looked like one of Jon Snow's ties.

The only thing I remember about the original series is Dave Gibbons's great character design of Artie Gruber.  Even drawn by a string of barely committed artists, the character still looked interesting, even if the story wasn't.

Syne

The Steve Dillion/Kev Walker art on the first Fleisher scripted run - which seemed to go on forever - was one good thing about the strip. That Silver was a hottie.

Frank

Quote from: Syne on 15 July, 2012, 11:51:25 AM
The Steve Dillion/Kev Walker art on the first Fleisher scripted run - which seemed to go on forever - was one good thing about the strip.

Agreed, but the art never hit the heights that the same collaboration did on Cinnabar- and one of the things I enjoy about 2000ad is the connection and sense of personal involvement you get from having one artist create the look and feel of the strip entirely by themselves.

Imagine Halo Jones touched by the hand of anyone other than Ian Gibson.

Large48

Or Buttonman by anyone except Arthur Ranson........
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Buddy

Or Strontium Dog by anyone except Carlos.