Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 October, 2018, 09:02:03 PM
Quote from: athorist on 30 October, 2018, 01:28:07 AM
I finished Skizz, and I think it might be my favourite Alan Moore story now.

I always think that... and then I read Halo Jones and flip flap back and forth.

It's between DR & Quinch and The Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde for me.

Jade Falcon

I'm afraid I'm no more a fan of DR and Quinch now than I was back then, but Skizz was damned good.

Haven't read Kingdom book 2 yet.

I still would like to see a Star Wars collection, but that won't happen I bet, especially with the RRP of most SW graphic novels.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Swerty

I cancelled about 2 months ago and they're still sending me books even though the direct debit is no more.Just got the Judge Death figurine

sintec

Skizz: was absolutely superb - definitely one of the highlights of the series so far.

D.R. & Quinch: was good silly fun. Go To Hollywood is definitely the stand out moment for me though, the other stories were good but that one stood head and shoulders above the rest.  It's a shame some of the repro was a little dark, although there was a certain irony to illegible words in speech bubbles about an illegible script.

Robo-Hunter Vol 2: this actually started out a lot better than I was expecting.  The Beast of Blackheart Manor & The Filby Case were both surprisingly alright; silly and fairly forgettable scooby-do style detective narratives with great art, I can live with that.  Killing of Kidd was ok but I was unconvinced by resurrecting Kidd as an antagonist and it didn't feel quite up to the previous to stories.  Then Football Crazy hit and for the first time in this collection I bailed on a story without finishing it, too much mildly racist stereotyping for my taste.  Skipped forward to Play it again, Sam. On the plus side it had less mild racism (at least the first couple of episodes that I read) but the constant singing started to grate very quickly.  Given the remaining page count I decided I had other things I'd rather be reading.  Much like volume 1 I doubt this'll be coming back off the shelf anytime soon.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Swerty on 31 October, 2018, 01:47:52 PMI cancelled about 2 months ago and they're still sending me books even though the direct debit is no more.Just got the Judge Death figurine
Be a bit careful here. This happened to people with other collections, and they unleashed debt agencies on to them. Be sure you've 1) got the original confirmation from them that you've cancelled, and 2) keep the stuff they've sent, so you can return it (at their cost, of course).

Brilliantly, I just had a DD bounce email from Hachette. My direct debit isn't working (which I thought was the case) after rebooting the sub. The link they provide goes to their website, where there's no means to pay for what you've so far been sent. I've set up a new DD, but that'll take two weeks to kick in. Fun, fun, fun.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: sintec on 31 October, 2018, 03:23:23 PM
Skipped forward to Play it again, Sam. On the plus side it had less mild racism (at least the first couple of episodes that I read) but the constant singing started to grate very quickly.  Given the remaining page count I decided I had other things I'd rather be reading.  Much like volume 1 I doubt this'll be coming back off the shelf anytime soon.

Same with me, I'm afraid I more or less 'phased out' with the singing in that story.  This collection has it's highs but so far IMHO a lot less than Dredd.  Then again Dredd when it started has some real horrors as well.

Anyone know the best link to lodge a complaint as the emails I've sent to Hachette regarding a Dredd book got no reply, not even an acknowledgement.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Frank

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 31 October, 2018, 09:23:54 PM
Quote from: sintec on 31 October, 2018, 03:23:23 PM
Skipped forward to Play it again, Sam. On the plus side it had less mild racism (at least the first couple of episodes that I read) but the constant singing started to grate very quickly.  Given the remaining page count I decided I had other things I'd rather be reading.  Much like volume 1 I doubt this'll be coming back off the shelf anytime soon.

Same with me, I'm afraid I more or less 'phased out' with the singing in that story.

I suppose it depends how hilarious you find changing song lyrics to be, but this is honestly one of my favourite things Tharg's ever put his name to.

Trying to explain why something's funny is stupid*, but, assuming you want to get some value out of books you've paid for, try actually singing the songs out loud. Cracks me up every time.

* Watch me try, though. Kidd's a fantastic character; one of the great unlikeable wee shites of British fiction. The Killing Of Kidd is part trial run for PJ Maybe and part Roger Mellie/fame-era Alan Partridge

Swerty

They really do have an appalling customer service department.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Swerty on 31 October, 2018, 11:37:38 PM
They really do have an appalling customer service department.

They HAVE a customer service department?

IndigoPrime

I suspect it's probably two or three people. I've never managed to get through on the phone. Facebook kind of works but the response times vary from a few days to a few weeks. Responses via email are typically baffling, showing no understanding of how their own subscriptions work (such as telling me all subscriptions must start from issue one).

sintec

Quote from: Frank on 31 October, 2018, 10:30:41 PM
Trying to explain why something's funny is stupid*, but, assuming you want to get some value out of books you've paid for, try actually singing the songs out loud. Cracks me up every time.

I often read in bed - I suspect bursting out into song won't make me overly popular with my girlfriend ;)

What's funny is definitely very subjective though - lots of people rate the musical episode of Buffy as the best thing they ever did whilst personally I can't stand it. I will give Play It Again Same another go at somepoint but I think I find Robo-Hunter best in small doses so I might come back to it later and read it episodically.  Football Crazy can get in the sea though.

Quote from: Frank on 31 October, 2018, 10:30:41 PM
* Watch me try, though. Kidd's a fantastic character; one of the great unlikeable wee shites of British fiction. The Killing Of Kidd is part trial run for PJ Maybe and part Roger Mellie/fame-era Alan Partridge

Kidd was one of the best things about Verdus and his loss and the addition of Hoagy and Stogie made Day Of The Droids much less enjoyable for me. So I do agree with you on him being a great unlikeable wee shite, I just didn't feel that story worked as well as the previous 2 in the book. Again this is totally subjective opinion and in this case i can't even really put my finger on why, maybe I was just experiencing Robo-Hunter overload by that point.

rogue69

What a surprise, just got my latest delivery & the covers special they said it was too late to stop sending out was not in there just a letter saying it was & that they were had included it & that they had taken out the payment for it.
I've just emailed them & now just waiting their response.

IndigoPrime

It might come separately, like mine did. I didn't even get a letter about mine, given that my sub rebooted – it was just sent.

Jade Falcon

Okay, I read Kingdom volume 2 last night and enjoyed it.  Is there going to be another volume as I get the impression that there will be.

One story I've read a bit about I wouldn't mind seeing but I don't think we'll be seeing is Jaegir.

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 02 November, 2018, 04:44:42 AM
Okay, I read Kingdom volume 2 last night and enjoyed it.  Is there going to be another volume as I get the impression that there will be.

The Ultimate Collection vols for Kingdom have been 3 stories each. Looking at wikipedia there is a 7th story already out there, "As it is in Heaven" and I believe the prog is currently mid way through publishing the 8th, "Alpha and Omega".  At the moment there's no 3rd volume scheduled and we'd need a 9th story to fill it.  There's been speculation about whether we might get that 3rd volume as part of an extension but that would be reliant on the 9th arc getting publlished in the prog before the end of the current 80 book run and Rebellions willingness to publish very recent material in the Collection.  I guess there's precedent with the Lawless volume from the Dredd collection so it's possible (assuming the 9th series runs within say the next year) but I wouldn't bet anything of value on it.

The good news is even if it doesn't come in the Ultimate Collection the next trade will cover arcs 7 and 8 so it'll be possible to continue the story without being forced to buy duplicate content.