Main Menu

Most Reprinted 2000AD Stories?

Started by japandroid, 18 October, 2014, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japandroid

For the top ones I'm guessing at Judge Death and non Dredd story Terra Meks? I've easily read Terra Meks more than any other story and was really pleased to read an old Gibbons interview recently where he cites it as his best work.
Which others have had heavy reprintings?

AlexF

Most of the Brian Bolland Dredd stories have been reprinted a bunch of times. Slaine the horned God has to be a big contender, too. Also DR and Quinch. Is it possible that Harry 20 has now appeared as a reprint in the Best of 2000ad, in the Meg itself, as a bagged trade with the Meg, and most recently as a stand alone trade?

glassstanley

Harry 20 hasn't had a bagged trade reprint. The original Flesh has had a Meg reprint, an annual reprint, and 2 trade reprints, plus ep 1 has been reappeared in the 2 reprints of Prog 1 that were given away at different times.

First Dredd story has probably seen a number of reprints as well..

japandroid

I wonder why Flesh never got the Titan treatment back in the day?

hippynumber1

'Return to Verdus' and 'Day of the Droids' have had at least 5 reprints each - Titan, DC, Best of..., Quality(?) and Rebellion

Colin YNWA

Quote from: japandroid on 18 October, 2014, 09:48:44 AM
I wonder why Flesh never got the Titan treatment back in the day?

Wasn't there a lot of bias in what got released by the Titan boss at the time (whose name escapes me, apologise), which was of course their prerogative since they were running the show. Hence a lot of stuff you'd expect to be well represented wasn't. No Redondo Nemesis, little Strontium Dog and I'm guessing no Flesh. Though to be fair on the specific they didn't do any of the first strips did they?

As for most reprinted surely Halo Jones has to be among them?

Spikes

I'm now imagining a Titan reprint of Flesh. Sigh....

Dredd-wise, surely those big early epic's have been reprinted to the max. Apocalypse War etc? Lost count of the number of times, I've re-bought that one.

Frank

Nick Landau was the big cheese behind the Titan reprints, Colin. He used to work on the pre-prog-100 version of 2000ad, so maybe that experience informed his opinion regarding what material he wanted to reprint. He was good friends with Bolland, and instrumental in getting him into the comic, but I'm sure Bolland's incredible Dark Judges work would have been at the top of any publisher's gimme list anyway, though.

Judge Death Lives and Halo Jones are obvious front runners, thanks in part to the international profile of the creators involved, but the very first published Dredd story (Judge Whitey, prog 2) can't be very far behind. It's been reprinted twice in the prog alone, and I've got it in the form of a garishly coloured Quality stretch n' chop effort, The Complete Judge Dredd monthly reprint, and Case Files number one. It's one of the stories available on Barney's Thrillviewer too.

glassstanley

If we'd had a Titan Flesh we probably wouldn't have the edited art that's being used in the current reprint.

Colin Zeal

japandroid

If I'd been in charge at Titan I would have probably bankrupted them by reprinting Flesh, Inferno and MACH 1. Come to think of it I would have just reprinted as many progs as possible in their entirety in the compendium format.

Timothy

Tombo

How many times has the Apocalypse War been reprinted, either in the original B&W or colourised?  Oh and Judge Whitey was also reprinted in both "The Best of 2000AD" and the "Best of Judge Dredd"

opaque

Slaine is the 'worst' offender in the GN world I think

japandroid

Quote from: opaque on 19 October, 2014, 10:50:43 AM
Slaine is the 'worst' offender in the GN world I think
Yeah, I think Slaine is the one 2000AD character who benefits most from passing trade. The Sword & Sorcery, Conan familiarity must account for at least 25% of custom.