Main Menu

Prog 1906: >>Love is a Lie >> Trust No One >> Kill to Order

Started by I, Cosh, 01 November, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 November, 2014, 02:14:10 PM
Ichabod Azrael - I know everyone loves this, but I cant shake the Saint of Killers from my head.

*William Munny Growl* Yeah.

Timothy

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 November, 2014, 02:14:10 PM
Ichabod Azrael - I know everyone loves this, but I cant shake the Saint of Killers from my head.

I'm glad it's not just me. I've recently returned to the Prog and this is the first of Ichabod I've seen and the Saint was the first thing that struck me about the whole story.

Frank

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 03 November, 2014, 03:50:10 PM
this is the first of Ichabod I've seen and the Saint was the first thing that struck me about the whole story.

That's just because Preacher and Ichabod are both comics, though, isn't it? The Saint of Killers is a great character, but there's nothing remotely original about him; he's a visual and narrative amalgam of every character Clint Eastwood played on horseback, right down to his hog legs and his origin/motivation. Unless we're arguing over who was first to co-opt established Western imagery in comic form ...

Talking of inspiration, this week's hundred foot steer in the sky made me thirst for Justice

amines2058

Has no-one actually questioned as to why Arnold Schwarzennegger in his Terminator days is gracing the cover?? Or is it just me?? :-*

Frank

Quote from: amines2058 on 05 November, 2014, 01:41:54 PM
Has no-one actually questioned as to why Arnold Schwarzennegger in his Terminator days is gracing the cover?? Or is it just me??

It might be Marty Zpok, the Muzak Killer too:

Link Prime

Quote from: hardworking family on 05 November, 2014, 01:52:26 PM

Marty Zpok, the Muzak Killer

I genuinely think Muzak Killer is an underrated gem by Ennis & Power.

4 reel.

Timothy

Quote from: hardworking family on 05 November, 2014, 01:03:53 PM
this is the first of Ichabod I've seen and the Saint was the first thing that struck me about the whole story.

That's just because Preacher and Ichabod are both comics, though, isn't it? The Saint of Killers is a great character, but there's nothing remotely original about him; he's a visual and narrative amalgam of every character Clint Eastwood played on horseback, right down to his hog legs and his origin/motivation. Unless we're arguing over who was first to co-opt established Western imagery in comic form ...

Talking of inspiration, this week's hundred foot steer in the sky made me thirst for Justice

It's not just that they're both comics. They're both cowboy comic heroes who are on a quest to kill God.

Frank

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 05 November, 2014, 02:16:31 PM
It's not just that they're both comics. They're both cowboy comic heroes who are on a quest to kill God.

Mmm - but that's not what the previous series were about *, and - unless all those metafictional moments are complete misdirection - I'm not sure that's how this series is going to turn out either.

* it's not what the Saint's story in Preacher was about until the very last act, for that matter

Timothy

Quote from: hardworking family on 05 November, 2014, 04:17:12 PM

Mmm - but that's not what the previous series were about *, and - unless all those metafictional moments are complete misdirection - I'm not sure that's how this series is going to turn out either.

* it's not what the Saint's story in Preacher was about until the very last act, for that matter
That's where you have the advantage. I've not read the previous runs of Ichabod!!

Skullmo

Quote from: hardworking family on 05 November, 2014, 01:03:53 PM

Cowboy comic heroes who have died and are now on a quest to kill god powered only by their hate and leaving behind a trail of destruction in their wake. . . .
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Oh - and I only joined the story at the last series - so maybe it was very different before that.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Eamonn Clarke

Help with the references?
The plants first from left to right:
Is that Groot? Then Little Shop of Horrors, the carrot man is from an episode of Lost in Space. Then a Doctor Who monster from the Seeds of Doom. Don't know the one before the two BBC Triffids from the 1980s series. The tall plant is really familiar and I know I'm going to kick myself over that one. Then bottom right are they pods from Invasion of the Bodysnatchers or are they Seeds of Doom?

Then the helmets:
I suspect the back four might all be from movie versions of Captain Nemo because the shell helmet is from the 1961 Mysterious Island and the one on the right is from 20000 Leagues under the Sea (1954).
Don't recognise the bull horned helmet unless it's Gendry's from GoT, and can't spot the giant fire helmet .
And I think that's the Steel Claw as well.

Any others?

Tombo

The tall plant on the right is the movie version of the Triffid isn't it? 

One Google Image search later confirms it is.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 05 November, 2014, 07:46:16 PMThen bottom right are they pods from Invasion of the Bodysnatchers or are they Seeds of Doom?

Vervoids, from the Colin Baker years.
@jamesfeistdraws