Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

the memelord in me would not mind a canon fodder book

The Corinthian

What about Luke Kirby? Or is there a rights issue?

IndigoPrime

Given that Rebellion put out its own Luke Kirby book, I imagine that's safe territory and the repro exists. That said, Zenith was also conspicuously absent from this collection, so who knows what the current state is with those strips?

IndigoPrime

Revere just arrived. I don't have my EEs to hand, but it looks pretty good. Repro on The Dead is solid. Revere has some moire issues, but not everywhere and I supposed that's the be expected with material from this era. Looks like the back is mostly a Simon Harrison interview.

Richard

Zenith seems like an odd thing to leave out. A terrible decision in fact!

Jade Falcon

I caught up on a couple of the books recently.

Mean Arena was definitely very much of its time and in my mind at least seems by far the worst of the sports stories.  I'm not a sports fan but I did find something to like in Harlem Heroes and Inferno (which unfortunately seemed to end all too suddenly), but Mean Arena was just meh.

Finn....I'm really not too sure on this book.  Okay in places but had moments of extreme character stupidity.  Prime example being the glamorous medical researcher who only existed to be bumped off by the bad guys, but what do you expect when she pulls a blonde moment and goes "Hah, I've realised you're doing evil, you won't get away with it".

Fall of Deadworld jumps around a lot but might read better if I reread book 1.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Corinthian

Quote from: Richard on 04 July, 2022, 04:28:36 PM
Zenith seems like an odd thing to leave out. A terrible decision in fact!

I wonder if - as with Luke Kirby - they didn't want to risk giving Morrison (and McKenzie) a potential new avenue for legal action by licensing a UK edition to another publisher?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

it's got to be something like that, right, regarding two of the best stories ever to grace the prog?
(by the by, does anyone know anything about what the ridgway, yeowell and parkhouse stances on these webs have been over the years?)

IndigoPrime

I read Revere/The Dead last night and this morning. Revere still holds up pretty well – I was expecting the third arc to be punishing, but it works within its own odd reality. I'd forgotten how fast it moves. It comes across like an oddball indie movie.

The Dead didn't quite have the same pull, being a bit captions heavy for modern eyes. Fludd is also (with justification) a bit of an unlikeable prick. Lovely art, though, and a smart pairing by Matt. I'm cherry picking now and reselling anything I decide I don't want to keep from this second extension (hello, War Machine!), but this one's a keeper.

Jade Falcon

I really hope the Dredd book we are still to get will have Pirates of the Black Atlantic in it.  It seemed such an odd omission in the Dredd collection.

I've never read Samantha Slade, but Sam Slade itself didn't date particularly well in my opinion and I've not heard anything good about this.  It seems an odd thing to put in an 'Ultimate' collection even taking into account what is greatest or ultimate is all a matter of ones own perspective.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

It really is an odd one. I can only imagine it's in the mix because 1) Robo-Hunter as a whole remains popular, and 2) it's all in digital already and so easy enough to compile (vs, say, something that needs scanning/cleaning up).

XRayLexx

Eaglemoss going under has no connection to Hachette does it?
We are so close to the end...

IndigoPrime

Similar business models but different companies.

Tomontherun94

Hachette released a statement on their FB pages;
QuoteWe are very sad to hear that one of our competitors, Eaglemoss, has gone into administration.

We would like to take the opportunity to reassure everyone that Hachette Partworks is part of a large publishing group and remains completely stable and committed to all our current customers, as well as to developing and launching new Partwork collections for the foreseeable future.

Kinda funny how Hachette have made more of an effort to reach out to Eaglemoss customers than Eaglemoss has. Only got the DC Collection from them but from what I've heard a lot of the models they put out were pretty high quality, filled a niche and had a lot of talent behind them. My partners happy that there's one less collection now though  ;)

The Monarch

I would have loved to do eaglemoss dc collection but its stacked full of books that you need to pay extra for and books you only got as a subscriber and i'm like no thanks