Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Armoured Gideon vs Stone Island Rd 1 Heat 50

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 December, 2021, 06:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we're well into the second half of the 1st Round and stats fans this week sees us cover 14.2% - 16.3% of the tourney over all... oh gosh... I wish I hadn't typed that... I'm sorry...

HOLD ON, HOLD ON, you've had to put through Time Flies and the rebooted Harlem Heroes, amongst other horrible thrills BUT NOW one of these two has to miss out... Well at least the BBC cameras will be there to cover this, one of the red hot draws of the 1st Round.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Armoured Gideon - more info

Vs.

Stone Island - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 9th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

My first difficult choice in these earlier rounds but I will go with Armoured Gideon
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Ooh this is difficult as I really like both of these. On the basis that we'll get to vote for more of Ian Edginton and Simon Davis' work, either separately or combined, Armoured Gideon gets my vote here.

IndigoPrime

Armoured Gideon, despite that awful arc with the old 2000 AD characters.

Link Prime

Nuthin at all wrong with Stone Island, but I would have to go for personal favourite Armoured Gideon.

Very entertaining story, paired with the beautiful line work and subsequent exquisite colours / paints of Simon Jacob.

Still holding out for an Ultimate Collection edition including all the one-offs from the specials.

AlexF

A desperately cruel choice, two flawed by fun stories with GREAT art. Gideon himself is the sort of character design who has earned a spot on any 2000AD character montage poster, which you can't quite say for Harry Whats'isname. But Stone Island is more consistent fun, with creepy vibes giving way to action movie vibes, and Davis's horrible monsters in it are truly horrible. The best of Armoured Gideon is better than Stone Island but overall I'm voting with the one that wowed me more first time around...

Stone Island

Timothy

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

stone island

(but i'm ignoring the second part - the rural horror of the first part was a classic)

Dark Jimbo

Armoured Gideon has a lot more going on; more humour, better characters; more varied scenarios. Reaaaaallly hoping for an UC volume.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

As with others, these are two flawed gems. I re-read Stone Island recently, desperately trying to find a link to the Edgiverse, and scraping up a tenuous one. It's a great little horror fantasy - very British (and good for it).

Armoured Gideon's original design is great - the first series the best - and I liked the meta-ramblings of The Collector. Trying to blend those concepts into the WURMS! saga isn't going particularly well, though.

I've gotta go with the giant, single-minded destructo-bot that emotes from a built-in television screen. Yes, my vote goes to Mek-Quake Armoured Gideon!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"