Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

So she's using immigrants as 'bargining chip's ' it is this deindividulising of humanising that is most disconcerting.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2016, 04:34:15 PMThis year for the first time ever I've come to think that if Scotland or Northern Ireland left the union my main thought would be 'good luck to you who have departed'.
Yep. I now find myself in favour of Scottish succession, in part because it may provide an alternate English-speaking country I can happily move to if England goes to hell.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 June, 2016, 05:11:59 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2016, 04:34:15 PMThis year for the first time ever I've come to think that if Scotland or Northern Ireland left the union my main thought would be 'good luck to you who have departed'.
Yep. I now find myself in favour of Scottish succession, in part because it may provide an alternate English-speaking country I can happily move to if England goes to hell.
Agreed.

ZenArcade

If they don't like yez,  pop on over to the hopefully post successful 'border poll's Ireland...the whiskey's nicer IMO. Z  :D

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
This year for the first time ever I've come to think that if Scotland or Northern Ireland left the union my main thought would be 'good luck to you who have departed'.

Mine would be "can I come with you"

Trout

Quote from: ZenArcade on 30 June, 2016, 05:25:32 PM
Ireland...the whiskey's nicer IMO. Z  :D

Perhaps the wrongest post in a thread that redefines "wrong" into a new kind of superwrong developed by evil scientists. ;-)

Modern Panther

QuoteTheresa May now effectively saying EU residents will be a bargaining chip in negotiations.

Give us what we want, or we'll send you three million, multilingual, hard working taxpayers!

Unless...she's not planning on shooting them, is she?

ZenArcade

Now, now Trout, don't carp so. Z

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Trout on 30 June, 2016, 06:03:50 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 30 June, 2016, 05:25:32 PM
Ireland...the whiskey's nicer IMO. Z  :D

Perhaps the wrongest post in a thread that redefines "wrong" into a new kind of superwrong developed by evil scientists. ;-)
What you need is an unbiased opinion, that of an English man!

Scotish whisky is fucking awful.

TordelBack

Quote from: Banners on 30 June, 2016, 03:45:07 PM
Johnson goaded people into voting Leave...

QuoteYou were about to strike your own small but vital blow for freedom and democracy – when you suddenly bottled it. You swerved; you shied; you jibbed; you baulked.

...and then "bottled it" himself.

Best bit of that is Boris's concern over the price of tampons.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Tordelback on 30 June, 2016, 06:55:53 PM
Best bit of that is Boris's concern over the price of tampons.
Someone moaned to me on Saturday that she regrets how she voted in the referendum as she found out that post exit she will only be able to bring into the UK from the EU a maxim of 200 fags.

Nothing like watching democracy in action.

So far from people I know:
• someone at work said kids at her sons' school were crying as they were told by other kids they would have to leave the country
• a Swedish acquaintance of a relative was told to get out of the country
• a friend of my brother who is of east Asian origin was punched in the face and she was told to get out of the country.

Last week we went to bed and woke up back in the 70s when immigrants such as my family had this crap hurled at them on a regular basis.

And a couple of weeks ago someone at work joked to me that he is voting exit "to get you lot out of the country". I took it as I'm sure it was intended – a clumsy joke. Wondering if I should make something of it when he gets back from holiday. Not officially but a word in his ear.

A few years ago someone told my mother in law to get out of "his country". Her response: "Ok, get your bases out of my country and then I will get out of your country".

I usually keep away from this thread but, there you go.

Steve Green

Today truly has been astonishing.

I don't know what to add to the clusterfuck of the Tory party, but in the best tradition of a focus on Corbyn, here's a link explaining that Angela4leader.org was set up 1 day before Benn's sacking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/4qmqyt/a_pr_firm_registered_angela4leaderorg_2_days/?st=iq2pwcfo&sh=de9835da

Not that I think that Corbyn is electable across the country, mind.

James Dilworth

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 June, 2016, 05:11:59 PMYep. I now find myself in favour of Scottish succession, in part because it may provide an alternate English-speaking country I can happily move to if England goes to hell.

Don't be under any illusion that things are better up here.

Turning a blind eye to racism in this country has become an artform.  Scottish nationalism is just as vile and ugly as anywhere else.

Steve Green

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 June, 2016, 08:48:17 PM
Today truly has been astonishing.

I don't know what to add to the clusterfuck of the Tory party, but in the best tradition of a focus on Corbyn, here's a link explaining that Angela4leader.org was set up 2 day's before Benn's sacking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/4qmqyt/a_pr_firm_registered_angela4leaderorg_2_days/?st=iq2pwcfo&sh=de9835da

Not that I think that Corbyn is electable across the country, mind.

IndigoPrime

The reports doing the rounds are insane. Canadians and Americans getting abuse, Swedes and Spanish getting shit for "not talking English" on their phones, those Polish guys almost beaten to death in the street. This is fascism.

And now the EU's having fun, arguing no trade negotiations until after full Brexit. So if Article 50 was triggered today, we'd probably have a deal worse than the one we have now by, ooh, 2025. SOUNDS GREAT. Good job, everyone!

(And, yes, I know the EU's playing hardball, for whatever reason—either or perhaps both to stop others leaving and make the UK stay. But what's left of the UK government, the pretenders to the Tory throne, and the EU are now playing a terrifying game of chicken.)