Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 13 August, 2010, 10:06:24 PM
I've erected all around my room.

Your twelve year old missed Jared's punchline out!

HOO-HAA

hahaha!  :lol:

Okay, back to my normal age-appropriate self. It's safe to post again.

eggonlegs

fables(4/5/6/), dungeon vol 1 the night shift

chris_askham

Just finished Iain Banks' The Crow Road, and about to start The Business. I'm new to Banks and wasn't completely satisfied by The Crow Road, but there was enough good in it for me to try one of his other titles.

Pete Wells

After hearing so much good stuff about it I finally got my hands on Parker: The Hunter.

I wuz quite surprised to find it was that 'Payback' film starring Mel Gibson. Enjoyable book but I don't see what all the fuss was about...

HOO-HAA

Remember I mentioned trying The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Well, 60 pages in it's back on the shelf for a second time. It's not biting with me. I think it's much too plot-driven. I didn't feel anything for the characters at all; they seem a little cliched, to be honest. Like something out of Dick Tracy.

Mind you, this book is a sensation and people are loving it the world over.

Horses for courses, I guess.

I'm still keen to see the film.   

I, Cosh

Rogue Trooper Case Files #2. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first volume of this so I snapped up a copy of this last weekend but I'm really not feeling the love half as much this time.

Also just started We Were Young and Carefree, Laurent Fignon's autobiography.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Just started Extra Lives: Why Videogames Matter by Tom Bissell, and so far its a good read. He goes into a lot of depth about what gaming means to him, good and bad. Not sure yet what form the rest of the book will take but he seems to look at his gaming as something that's occasionally fulfilling but leaves him feeling pretty disgusted with himself sometimes. As someone with a real problem knowing when to put the controller down and converse with human beings I can relate.

Mikey

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 14 August, 2010, 06:29:49 PM
Remember I mentioned trying The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Well, 60 pages in it's back on the shelf for a second time. It's not biting with me. I think it's much too plot-driven. I didn't feel anything for the characters at all; they seem a little cliched, to be honest. Like something out of Dick Tracy.

Mrs Mikey felt the same about the early section and some of the stuff she told me did sound pretty shallow. However, she persevered and really enjoyed the rest of it...

'How to find a habitable planet' by James Kasting. It's non fiction, one of the 'Science Essentials' series, this one written after NASA's funding died off for said project. It's fuckin aces! It's really well written, covers everything you need to know about the parameters for the titular search and is suitable for all levels of prior knowledge. It's one of those books that encapsulates how magnificently mental this here life is, an that (and I'm only 20 or so pages in). Sense of wonder indeed!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: chris_askham on 14 August, 2010, 04:34:27 PM
Just finished Iain Banks' The Crow Road, and about to start The Business. I'm new to Banks and wasn't completely satisfied by The Crow Road, but there was enough good in it for me to try one of his other titles.

Banks fanatic here.
I love The Crow Road- even though it is essentially a number of people having nothinbg happen to them for a few hundred pages!
The Business is one of his weaker efforts, but has its moments.
Have you tried any of the Iain M stuff yet?

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 16 August, 2010, 02:09:11 PM
Mrs Mikey felt the same about the early section and some of the stuff she told me did sound pretty shallow. However, she persevered and really enjoyed the rest of it...

Ditto Mrs. Back and TordelMum.  Under pressure to read it now as a family duty.

Robin Low

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 August, 2010, 02:11:00 PMHave you tried any of the Iain M stuff yet?

Not directed at me, I know, but I'm currently reading Matter, which I'm really enjoying.

Just finished China Meiville's Un Lun Dun. Also pretty good, but perhaps not as good as I'd have hoped - the earlier chapters felt a little too consciously written for modern children, although it did relax later (or I relaxed, one of the two). I did particularly like the Black Windows, however.

Regards

Robin

worldshown

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 August, 2010, 02:11:00 PM

Have you tried any of the Iain M stuff yet?

Again, not addressed at me but I've read some Iain M Banks. Wasn't keen on Consider Phlebas as I hated the main character. Loved The Player Of Games and gave up on Feersum Endjinn about five chapters in.

Currently reading Mil Millington's Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About which unfortunately isn't quite as funny as his website.

TordelBack

Quote from: Pete Wells on 14 August, 2010, 04:50:27 PM
I wuz quite surprised to find it was that 'Payback' film starring Mel Gibson. Enjoyable book but I don't see what all the fuss was about...

Agreed.  It's a very good read, and Darwyn Cooke is pretty fab, but I didn't think it was quite the 'comic of the year' masterpiece it was cracked up to be.  Will definitely read the next one though.

eggonlegs

not comics related
sound unbound