Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: JAMESCOR on 06 September, 2010, 09:33:26 PM
Just finished Spook Country by William Gibson, despite the rather run of the mill cover it's a cracking good read not as tech heavy as his earlier stuff but has enough invention and character quirks to set it apart from everyday thrillers. Theres some rather interesting use of i pods and virtual reality( remember that?) as art show. It's the first in a trilogy and is well worth checking out think it will appeal to a lot of boarders.

Spook Country is the second part. First part is Pattern Recognition. Read it a few weeks ago so I'm happy to hear Spook COuntry is just as good. Third is just coming out about nowish, Zero History. Get to see Gibson read Zero History on Sept 13 and extra fuckin' psyched about it.

Gorgo

Finally after being forced by my friend im reading the first two premier IDW transformers editions and actually am loving it.
Also reading time unicorprated volume 2 and The complete sherlock holmes

TordelBack

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 06 September, 2010, 10:32:17 PM
Gasp! Surely a true fan would remember that this is Flashy's second adventure! Still, you're right, it's good stuff. We need more heroes like Flashman!

Aaargh, you're right of course.  I remain permanently confused since I came to Flashman via the excellent Maclcolm McDowell film, and there to my Dad's movie tie-in edition of Royal Flash, which had a photo of a fetching young lady in her underthings on the cover.  I only came back to the first Flashman after ploughing in through Charge and Great Game and on, and I've bizarrely never read Flash for Freedom the third (?) one.  A proper thorough read is in order, but whether in publication order or chronological order?

EDIT:  I just fruitlessly googled the movie tie-in cover to share in order to share its hypnotic power, and let me dissuade you all from ever trying an image search for "royal flash".  

Spaceghost

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 30 August, 2010, 10:08:39 PM
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. This is one arsom book.

Yep, it's fantastic. Have you read anything else by Franzen? I keep meaning to pick up another one of his.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 September, 2010, 08:27:44 AM
Gasp! Surely a true fan would remember that this is Flashy's second adventure! Still, you're right, it's good stuff. We need more heroes like Flashman!

Aaargh, you're right of course.  I remain permanently confused since I came to Flashman via the excellent Maclcolm McDowell film, and there to my Dad's movie tie-in edition of Royal Flash, which had a photo of a fetching young lady in her underthings on the cover.  I only came back to the first Flashman after ploughing in through Charge and Great Game and on, and I've bizarrely never read Flash for Freedom the third (?) one.  A proper thorough read is in order, but whether in publication order or chronological order?

Ah, I'm currently in the middle of an on-off Flashman readthrough, my first time with any of the books. I've plumped for chronological order, and I've just finished the fourth book, Flashman and the Mountain of Light, which in my humble opinion was the best yet - surprisingly so, though, as the reviews on Amazon were a bit lukewarm to this one. Stuff and nonsense!

I find Flashman works best on the military outings, rather than the general adventuring jaunts, but that may be because I've got a fascination with the British Empire of that era and how they (mis)managed the various campaigns. It's also (as read in chronological order) quite a neat sequel to the first book, as he returns to India and gets reunited with various military chums from Afghanistan. Add in healthy amounts of espionage, double-bluff and back-stabbing, (an enviroment the character thrives in) and plenty of larger-than-life you-wouldn't-believe-them-if-they-weren't-real-people characters, and you've got yourself a winner.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 September, 2010, 10:23:31 AM
I've just finished the fourth book, Flashman and the Mountain of Light, which in my humble opinion was the best yet - surprisingly so, though, as the reviews on Amazon were a bit lukewarm to this one. Stuff and nonsense!

Oddly that was my favourite too, and the only one I read more-or-less at the time of publication.  There's something rather noble about Flashy in that one, even if he's never quite the cad he likes to make out he is in any of them.  Seeing as it's a sequel-of-sorts to Flashman and also a prequel-of-sorts to The Great Game I was a bit worried that a chrionological re-read might expose flaws.  It appears not. Chronological it is so, once I get through the in-law book mountain, and the Shardlake I just started, and the Lindsey Davis I haven't quite finished yet.

Beeks

Just finished Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov

If anyone is unfamiliar with his work I strongly recommend a read
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

I, Cosh

Only read a few of the Flash books but they're fun. As historically educational as Asterix and almost as witty!
We never really die.

nev

Jared Katooie

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 September, 2010, 08:27:44 AM

EDIT:  I just fruitlessly googled the movie tie-in cover to share in order to share its hypnotic power, and let me dissuade you all from ever trying an image search for "royal flash".  

Blimey, I was just wondering why no-one ever made a film based on these books, but there you have it. I'll have to check those out!

maryanddavid

Caves of Steel is great, I love Asimovs stuff.

I am reading the Walking Dead at the minuit, and its F###UCKING BRILLIANT. Im on vol 5, I have read the last 4 over the last 4 nights. Bought the first 10 vol cheap and Im glad I did, I cant put it down. The only downside is it can be hard to make out who some of the bit part player are, but looking forward to reading the rest.

David

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 06 September, 2010, 10:57:09 PM
Quote from: JAMESCOR on 06 September, 2010, 09:33:26 PM
Just finished Spook Country by William Gibson, despite the rather run of the mill cover it's a cracking good read not as tech heavy as his earlier stuff but has enough invention and character quirks to set it apart from everyday thrillers. Theres some rather interesting use of i pods and virtual reality( remember that?) as art show. It's the first in a trilogy and is well worth checking out think it will appeal to a lot of boarders.

Spook Country is the second part. First part is Pattern Recognition. Read it a few weeks ago so I'm happy to hear Spook COuntry is just as good. Third is just coming out about nowish, Zero History. Get to see Gibson read Zero History on Sept 13 and extra fuckin' psyched about it.

I'll have to give SC a go, then. A less techy Gibson would work for me.

chris_askham

Quote from: maryanddavid on 07 September, 2010, 11:44:49 PM

I am reading the Walking Dead at the minuit, and its F###UCKING BRILLIANT. Im on vol 5, I have read the last 4 over the last 4 nights. Bought the first 10 vol cheap and Im glad I did, I cant put it down. The only downside is it can be hard to make out who some of the bit part player are, but looking forward to reading the rest.

David

Looking forward to starting this myself, got the first volume on the way from Amazon, in preparation for the tv series.

Mike Carroll

Currently re-reading Y: The Last Man... Comics have rarely been this good!

Beeks

I've now just started reading 'The Gangs Of New York' by Herbert Asbury which the film of the same title was loosely based on

It's not fiction...just accounts on the history of the cities gangs and I must admit I can't put it down at the moment

For those that don't know 'Bill The Butcher' was an actual gang member called William Poole who was a feared pugelist
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens