Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Well I got my copy of Freedom today, only to find that Franzen ripped off he post I made on the Minor Impediments thread about a trip to the chip shop last week.  ::)
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

Reading the new one by Terry Pratchett, I Shall Wear Midnight 

It's a Discworld featuring Tiffany Aching, who wasn't one of my favourite characters when she first appeared but has won me over in the intervening books.

I'm only 4 chapters in but this one seems to be going to some very dark places already. This one might be a hard slog, in the best possible way.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

HOO-HAA

Just started Terminal by Brian Keene. Loving it so far - echoes of early King.

TordelBack

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 01 October, 2010, 01:54:24 PM
Reading the new one by Terry Pratchett, I Shall Wear Midnight  

Cool, I didn't know there was a new Tiffany Aching book.  My favourite Pratchett character (after Granny Weatherwax, of course), and probably his most thought-provoking books.

Just finished C J Sansom's Revelation, the fourth Shardlake book.  Phew, that was some pretty heavy stuff in places.  However, there were a few plot problems,[spoiler] for example:  when the murderer abandons his pedlar's cart outside Lincoln's Inns when he's confronted by the lads, it mysteriously reappears back in his workshop.  Okay, he's nuts, but did he really go back for it?[/spoiler].  That niggle aside, it was a superb read.  Trying to resist temptation to dash straight into the current one!

Paul faplad Finch

Okay, I read some of ...Midnight tonight and got genuinely very excited (not like that) at the growing realisation that none other than [spoiler]Esk     [/spoiler] was back. As an old school Discworld fan of very long standing it was a bit of a geek out moment for me.

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 October, 2010, 09:25:23 PM
Cool, I didn't know there was a new Tiffany Aching book.  My favourite Pratchett character (after Granny Weatherwax, of course), and probably his most thought-provoking books.

I'll be honest, Granny was never a fave (relatively speaking,cos any Pratchett is gonna be great)and I was actually hoping she was gonna die in Lords And Ladies. (God, it seems like yesterday, these books have been going forever haven't they?). I've always been more of a City Watch guy myself.

That said, Tiffany has won me over to the witches stories and you're right about her being thought provoking. To say these books are supposedly aimed at a younger audience he is pulling no punches at all here. I'd say that what happens early on in this book is some of the worst (in a good way) stuff in Discworld ever.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

Got Best American Comics 2010 in the post today, I've just had a quick look in the contents and Gaiman's picked all the usual suspects (Crumb, Bagge, Ware, Beto) but Dash Shaw is nowhere to be seen which is farkin lame.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

nev

Jared Katooie

Flashman at the charge by George MacDonald Fraser.

House of Usher

Finally I have started reading From Hell.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

sorta started zombie brittanica but due to the doc raising my medication feeling a little under par and unable to concentrate as i feel sick and dizzy a lot....bleeurgh :sick:

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: mogzilla on 03 October, 2010, 11:36:52 AM
sorta started zombie brittanica but due to the doc raising my medication feeling a little under par and unable to concentrate as i feel sick and dizzy a lot....bleeurgh :sick:

Sorry to hear that you're feeling shitty, Mogz. Hope you enjoy Zombie Brittanica- I thought it was rather special. Was it you who mentioned this a while ago, and I said that a good follow-up read would be Tomes of the Dead: Stronghold? If so, I still stand by that.

One great side effect is that when the little ones get their castles out, you can amuse yourself defending it from imaginary zombie attacks.

SBT

mogzilla

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 October, 2010, 11:52:33 AM

Sorry to hear that you're feeling shitty, Mogz. Hope you enjoy Zombie Brittanica- I thought it was rather special. Was it you who mentioned this a while ago, and I said that a good follow-up read would be Tomes of the Dead: Stronghold? If so, I still stand by that.

One great side effect is that when the little ones get their castles out, you can amuse yourself defending it from imaginary zombie attacks.

SBT

probably, i remember picking it up after i was high off "flu" and i'm soooo looking forward to the walking dead series.

HOO-HAA

Ah, Zombie Britannica by fellow Snowbooker, Thomas Emson! Hope you enjoy it, mate! It's on my to-read pile as well. 

adi

Elephantmen - just finished volume two
Sin City -  about to start the whole run