Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Right, after a fortuitous sighting of a decent run of trades 1-7 in t'library, I'm making my third or fourth attempt to read the much-praised Preacher without getting utterly fed up after a few issues.  Ennis' terrific work on Battlefields, The Boys and even Crossed have led me to try to revisit his older stuff, and while his Hellblazer years did not hold up at all well to recent scrutiny, I have middling hopes that this time something will click and the scales will finally fall from my eyes.

radiator

You like The Boys but not Preacher? That's perverse!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: House of Usher on 03 October, 2010, 11:26:32 AM
Finally I have started reading From Hell.

That's been looking at me from the shelf for the past week or two, demanding a reread. Soon, my pretty, soon...

Roger Godpleton

Preacher is pretty much just "My First Grown-ups Funnybooks".
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

maryanddavid

I have From Hell sitting on my shelf for the last 4 or 5 years, never read. Ill take a fit someday and read it.
Ennis is a funny fish, loved Preacher, Liked Hellblazer, Bloody Mary,Just a Pilgrim and Rifle brigade were just OK, bit by the numbers, Carlos art helped them up.
Of his newer stuff, didnt like the boys, Kev was ok, Marvel Knight Punisher was good but the joke wore thin quick, punisher Max was good fun, but the real shame is that his best story ever has never been collected. Search out the back issues of Hitman for a real treat and some great art.

David

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: maryanddavid on 06 October, 2010, 11:58:07 PM
Search out the back issues of Hitman for a real treat and some great art.

David

Hitman is finally getting collected. There are at least 2 books out, I suppose whether or not they keep coming depends on whether it sells. I have the first one (Rage In Arkham), it contains some Demon and Batman stuff showing Tommys origins and then the first 3 issues of the regular title.

It is indeed awesome stuff. I nearly didn't buy it because my comics budget has been slashed but recomendations on this board talked me round. I'll definitely be picking up further volumes as and when I can.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 06 October, 2010, 10:35:49 PM
You like The Boys but not Preacher? That's perverse!

That was my thinking too, however...

I'm now in the middle of Volume 2, and enthusiasm is flagging fast.  It's certainly suiting my mood, but that's not a compliment at the moment.

Aaron A Aardvark

The first non-2000 AD comics I've read this century: Top Ten & Preacher Gone to Texas

Top 10 was amusing but nothing special.

Preacher I got bored really quickly. There's just nothing in it I haven't seen before. And the characters just don't interest me.

I guess I won't be getting back into comics after all, I seem to have lost the taste for them.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 08 October, 2010, 09:36:53 AM
I guess I won't be getting back into comics after all, I seem to have lost the taste for them.

Try Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead and Garth Ennis' Crossed before writing them off completely...

I've started reading Acts of Violence by Ryan David Jahn - so far a wonderfully accessible read.

TordelBack

Well, well, made it to the end of a dreary Volume 3 of Preacher over lunch, and finally something interesting:  the Cassidy origin story.  Yes, this is Ennis' stock Oirish tale of feckless kids in bars and the Brendan Behan clones who befriend them, but it's done well, and I like his predictable but still clever take on the Easter Rising (although he does go completely arseways in having Pearse quote the Yeats line "a terrible beauty is born", from the poem Easter 1916 which wasn't composed until May of that year).  Onwards in hope.

House of Usher

Because I've got a new private tutee who's retaking an English exam in November for the International Baccalaurate, I'm reading Wuthering Heights, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and a novel by Iris Murdoch. I need to absorb as much as possible of all three by Tuesday. Needless to to say, between now and November the gig won't be paying much, but just doing the reading is good for me, and need not be a chore.
STRIKE !!!

Paul faplad Finch

Just started today, the first book of Michael Palins diary. '69-'79.

Am up to '72 ('69 and '70 are blink and you'll miss them with very few entries) and so far there has been much talk of PM Heath and power cuts. All before my time so quite interesting.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

SquashedFly

I have a bad habit of starting a book then not finishing it and then starting something else, so there are a load of them that I have had on the go for months and need to work through

The Bourne Identity,Men At Arms, '48,The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think I even started Lord of the Rings as well :o I need to finish the Hobbit first  ::)

and to add to matters the first volume of Tales of Nu-Earth is on the way as well  :)

god I am an idiot  :lol:

Rog69

I was hoping to say that I'm reading Surface Detail by Iain M Banks but the wife nipped out for 10 minutes earlier and the postman too the opportunity to stick a card through the door ::).

Roger Godpleton

Got the new Darwyn Cooke Parker book today. It'll be stuck in the To Read pile for a while but it is a gorgeous glance through book.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!