Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just finished 'Trinity' by Matt Wagner this morning. Now I love me some Matt Wagner (why oh why I haven't checked out Grendal yet I'll never know) but this is something else again. Seriously if you were looking for the definitive Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman story this is it. For reasons that escape me it seems lost in the shadows of such books from around the time (ish) of its release as 'Kingdom Come'  and 'New Frontier' (which is excellent don't get me wrong) but it really should be outshining them.

To take such iconic characters about whom so many stories have been written and make them seem fresh and new is truly a feat to behold.

Glorious comics.

Bolt-01

Matt Wagner, like Alan Davis, is one of my comics gods. I would read a work of his without knowing anything about it.

Grendel is awesome, but it is MAGE you want.

mogzilla

Hellboy: masks and monsters  :D

Zarjazzer

An excellent PI book featuring Lovecraftian horror in Glasgae! The Amulet by Williams Meikle-the seedy world of noir and the gibbering extra planar horror might seem a bit of a clash but it works.

Hellboy-The Wild Hunt a really enjoyable read. Also  Heavy Metal from September-quite a disparate set of styles in it and Lorna-The Black castle by Alfonso Azpiri -pretty much what you expect from a latin based Euro-comic -i.e. killer babe in bondage and bonking space epic.

The Catholic Church has alot to answer for. :)

Very good art reminds me of the great Mister Ian Gibson in parts.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Kerrin

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 20 October, 2010, 06:53:32 PMHellboy-The Wild Hunt a really enjoyable read.

I just got that today! Also in the same lovely parcel from Amazon was SCI-FI ART NOW, with art from some of our esteemed boarders. Go and buy a copy NOW!    LINK TO AMAZON

Rook

I finished Judge Anderson: Shamballa. Some amazing stories in there, especially "Satan", the brilliantly surreal "R*volution" and the wonderful little one-shot "The Protest". Really makes me want to read some more Anderson, good job they have Triad in the library too!

Just started reading "The Complete America" now, the volume with "America" and "Fading of the Light". Great so far...

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Rook on 20 October, 2010, 08:17:35 PM
especially "Satan"

One of my favourite Anderson stories. And the artwork is particularly fine...

Today I grabbed myself a copy of Brian Keene's DEAD SEA. I'm trying to pick up any Keene I see these days, before his Leisure titles vanish from book stores altogether....

Colin YNWA

Glad to hear you liked R*volution I thought it was great and have shared some thoughts here
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27422.0.html

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Kerrin on 20 October, 2010, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 20 October, 2010, 06:53:32 PMHellboy-The Wild Hunt a really enjoyable read.

I just got that today! Also in the same lovely parcel from Amazon was SCI-FI ART NOW, with art from some of our esteemed boarders. Go and buy a copy NOW!    LINK TO AMAZON

Now that's a recommendation. Tis winging it's way to Barad-Durjazzer as I type.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Paul faplad Finch

After putting Nerd Do Well to bed I returned to the Michael Palin Diaries for a couple of years but have now picked up 'Kiss and Die' by Lee Weeks.

This is the 4th book in the Johnny Mann series, which I like to describe as Matrioshki meets Arnie (c.raw deal), with a dash of ninja action, and is as ridiculous as that sounds. It's as far from high literary art as you are likely to get but I love 'em and grab them as soon as I see a new one out.

It could be seen as bad taste I suppose to mix the serious and very real issues of slavery and sex trafficking with the gung-ho 'blow up the henchmen with the helicopter gunship then take out the evil mastermind with a throwing star to the head' brain dead action genre but what the hell.

They tend to be quick reads so I've got Retromancer lined up next.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

I'd heard good things about Mesmo Delivery, and sure enough there were some mightily purdy pictures in there. However, the script is a (oddly mundane) oscillation between sub-Miller and sub-Tarantino.

I must stress, though, that the art is amazing.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Just finished The Code Book, by Simon Singh. It's a history of encryption and espionage methods, it's a textbook on the mathematical algorithms involved in secret communication mixed up with great spy stories. I really enjoy Simon Singh's Pop Science, I'd also recommend Fermat's Last Theorem
You may quote me on that.

puggdogg

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

SmallBlueThing

The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten, by 'Harrison Geillor'. Which as astute bbc7 listeners among you might realise, is very reminiscent of Garrison Keillor and his radio shows from lake woebegone.
I dont know if it's a pisstake of him, or what. But it reads a lot like his 'voice'- which can only be a good thing as far as im concerned. But it's completely baffling in all other senses.
SBT

House of Usher

A pile of 32 American monthly comics that had built up in my regular order since I've been out of regular work (the shop is in the town where I worked). It has been a pleasure catching up with 6 issues of The Walking Dead and Savage Dragon, but all the product Mike Mignola's been churning out while my back was turned just looks like money that would have been better spent on something else like November's mortgage payment.

I have resolved to cancel my regular order, and stop reading Hellboy and BPRD for what enjoyment they bring me. Regretfully I am also going to stop buying The Walking Dead on a monthly basis and just buy the trade paperbacks like everybody else does, because it's much more economical. Unlike the monthly issues, those trade paperbacks are dirt cheap!
STRIKE !!!