Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 October, 2010, 06:10:07 PM
A pile of 32 American monthly comics that had built up in my regular order since I've been out of regular work (the shop is in the town where I worked). It has been a pleasure catching up with 6 issues of The Walking Dead and Savage Dragon, but all the product Mike Mignola's been churning out while my back was turned just looks like money that would have been better spent on something else like November's mortgage payment.

I have resolved to cancel my regular order, and stop reading Hellboy and BPRD for what enjoyment they bring me. Regretfully I am also going to stop buying The Walking Dead on a monthly basis and just buy the trade paperbacks like everybody else does, because it's much more economical. Unlike the monthly issues, those trade paperbacks are dirt cheap!
i'm gonna assume you didnt actually read the storm part 3? the first bits where a bit daft with arthur etc but that reveal at the end! never liked bprd meself and the ghost ships of baltimore lost me as soon as i read "vampire"

House of Usher

Quote from: mogzilla on 24 October, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
i'm gonna assume you didnt actually read the storm part 3? the first bits where a bit daft with arthur etc but that reveal at the end!

Haven't read it yet, but I will do. It's at the bottom of the pile. I've got a bunch of Invincible and The Boys to plough through first. Great big delicious slice of chocolate fudge cake first, thin watery soup last.
;)
STRIKE !!!

exilewood

Just come to the end of a serious Kerouac jag - 'On The Road - the original scroll' - which is quite simply, astonishing. And then 'And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks' - which was fun. Then a friend of mine got me a signed copy of 'Little,Big' by John Crowley, which is one of my favourite novels, so I read that again.
Next, I guess, I'm going to read Keith's book.

Roger Godpleton

Moomin Vol 3. I think this may be my favorite comic strip ever.

The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans. A True Crime GN by Rick Geary. Gonna read the rest in the set.

Up next is X'ed Out and then Love and Rockets New Stories #3.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

chaingunchimp

just got a hold of the orginal issues of the old peter david run on the Huk.
fantastic stuff.
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

Keef Monkey

Quote from: puggdogg on 24 October, 2010, 10:52:24 AM
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Really enjoyed that, surprising how sneaking some zombies in suddenly gets me engaged in period romance.

El Chivo

Just finished 'Honour Be Damned' a Nikolai Dante novel by David Bishop
Pretty good, some well funny bits in it

Paul faplad Finch

Are the esteemed Mr Bishops 2000ad novels good then?

I picked up a Fiends of the Rising Sun book for 20p at a car boot but I've put off reading it so far. For some reason I had it in my head that they weren't that well regarded.

If I do read it, do I need to pick up the Eastern Front books first? Are they interlinked or completely standalone? I'm paranoid about reading stuff in chronological order if it makes even the slightest difference.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 October, 2010, 12:45:21 PM

Really enjoyed that, surprising how sneaking some zombies in suddenly gets me engaged in period romance.

Gets you engaged. I suspect it would get me enraged.  ;)

So, Lady Catherine DeBurgh as a ninja zombie-fighter: how does that work? In the original novel she struck me as a bit of a frail old biddy. Does the inclusion of ninjas seem natural and logical, or a bit forced? I'm interested to know!
STRIKE !!!

El Chivo

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 25 October, 2010, 07:55:02 PM
Are the esteemed Mr Bishops 2000ad novels good then?

I picked up a Fiends of the Rising Sun book for 20p at a car boot but I've put off reading it so far. For some reason I had it in my head that they weren't that well regarded.

If I do read it, do I need to pick up the Eastern Front books first? Are they interlinked or completely standalone? I'm paranoid about reading stuff in chronological order if it makes even the slightest difference.

Yeh, i was gonna ask that cos i've got that next & i've got the Fiends GN

Keef Monkey

Quote from: House of Usher on 25 October, 2010, 08:01:50 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 October, 2010, 12:45:21 PM

Gets you engaged. I suspect it would get me enraged.  ;)

So, Lady Catherine DeBurgh as a ninja zombie-fighter: how does that work? In the original novel she struck me as a bit of a frail old biddy. Does the inclusion of ninjas seem natural and logical, or a bit forced? I'm interested to know!

The inclusion of ninjas surprised me, after all ninjas aren't really tied into Pride and Prejudice or zombies. It worked for me though because ninjas are like, totally rad and stuff.

mogzilla

"the only good dalek.." by the beeb books got £3 off at waterstones...not too bad.

Lucifal

Just about to start Treasure Island. A book that features in the next block of my OU course on Children's Literature.

Paul faplad Finch

For years I thought I'd read Treasure Island and it wasn't much cop. Turns out what I'd read had been a massively abridged version - somewhat more involved than the average pcture book version kids get, hence my confusion, but still nowhere near the full text.

It was in a set with a bunch of other classics, which I also thought I'd read but were similarly abridged. Monte Cristo and Mutiny on the Bounty spring to mind and there were a couple of Dickens as well. A Tale of Two Cities definitely and I think David Copperfield.

When I found out I vowed to read the full things but I never did get around to most of them.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 26 October, 2010, 06:49:13 PM
For years I thought I'd read Treasure Island and it wasn't much cop. Turns out what I'd read had been a massively abridged version - somewhat more involved than the average pcture book version kids get, hence my confusion, but still nowhere near the full text.

It was in a set with a bunch of other classics, which I also thought I'd read but were similarly abridged. Monte Cristo and Mutiny on the Bounty spring to mind and there were a couple of Dickens as well. A Tale of Two Cities definitely and I think David Copperfield.

When I found out I vowed to read the full things but I never did get around to most of them.

Treasure Island was one of the first pieces of proper literature I ever read when I was about ten and dragged on a caravan holiday. I still love it to this day. Have you read Jekyl and Hyde? Short but sweet
You may quote me on that.